The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's like the Clarkson "Toybota"!

No, not really, but we did have torrential rains and craziness in the DC area today. Alot of roads had two to three inches of water flowing, I felt like I was fording to get through some intersections. Not sure exactly how much clearance the Lotus needs to avoid water, but I suppose that as long as the water is below the engine access panel, it is ok. (Though, the car is light enough that if the water did get that high, the car might be swept away?)

Things that worked well... the A/C update, kept it cool, comfy and with clear windows for the whole trip. Also the Bosch Wiper blade, it was going full speed, whisking water off like a champ. New radio played some new ipod tunes, in general making the experience less terrifying. (DC in a rainstorm is a veritable sea of cell phone talking, SUV driving clueless people... gotta watch out for them!)

Two things that didn't work so well...the soft top started leaking once the rain and wind got going enough. Just a little drip on the driver's side, between the edge of the door and the window. I wiped the leather and the sill, and dried off the whole car in the garage.

Headlights got some condensation in them. How annoying is this? Should I replace the seals, or just not worry about it? Do all Elises have steamy headlights when it is pouring rain?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like quite the adventure!

The headlights are not fully sealed units - at least this is what my local Lotus dealer tells me. There a little drain hole that you can see at the bottom front of the headlight housing. They should dry out on their own.

HTH,
Larez2

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i was caught topless in a torrential downpour during last month's church of the three sisters, managed to pull off and put the top on not before both myself and the interior were absolutely as drenched, then drove through some unexpected deep standing water a bit later to short out both my HVAC and alarm...

...i limped home through completely fogged-up windows, mopped and aired her out, basked in the sun a couple days, replaced a fuse, and she's good as new...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Headlights got some condensation in them. How annoying is this? Should I replace the seals, or just not worry about it? Do all Elises have steamy headlights when it is pouring rain?
I added some RTV sealant to my headlight seal...fixed my "foggy eyes".

It did it the first time I washed it after that, I did the little RTV trick and no more foggy vision.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've been driving through some of that same weather and my headlights haven't steamed up on me yet.
I drove through all of that weather for 3,700 miles to/from Birmingham for LOG. Only decent days were Friday through Monday's track day in B'ham, then the following weekend Friday through Monday between Charlotesville, VA, D.C., and State College, PA. As soon as I hit I-70 westbound, the skies opened up again and it was like 1,700 miles of car wash. Didn't clean the bugs off, though... No fogged-up headlights. I had a fresh application of Rain-X on the windshield, so who needs a wiper? I still have the October 2004 original and the few times I actually flipped the wiper on, the Rain-X allowed for complete clearing on the first swipe. :up:

I had a mishap on the way from B'ham to D.C., hit an eight-foot-long section of truck tire tread about 7"-8" wide standing on its side on I-40. -eek- Pics yet to come, but it totally mangled my CF splitter and the dealer here and the body shop both say new clam. More to come in a separate thread on the trip (soon as I get some detailed pics), but they said I was very lucky that the oil cooler on the driver's side didn't get deformed more than it did when the clam slapped it on the outer fitting.

I used a lot of Gorilla Tape to hold the splitter up and keep the fender liners in place for the rest of the trip. The LF marker light was a casualty and the clam was forced back so it now interferes with opening the driver's door. Something is causing a new rattle underneath in back, but it's minor compared to the taped-up front end... :mad:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch! Sorry about that. Retread tires should be illegal on the street. I'd be willing to pay an extra dollar/gallon for milk and beer to make that law happen!

There is a rumor floating around DC about a bunch of Lotus zooming west from DC recently. One person saw like twenty cars... were you part of that group?

I drove through all of that weather for 3,700 miles to/from Birmingham for LOG. Only decent days were Friday through Monday's track day in B'ham, then the following weekend Friday through Monday between Charlotesville, VA, D.C., and State College, PA. As soon as I hit I-70 westbound, the skies opened up again and it was like 1,700 miles of car wash. Didn't clean the bugs off, though... No fogged-up headlights. I had a fresh application of Rain-X on the windshield, so who needs a wiper? I still have the October 2004 original and the few times I actually flipped the wiper on, the Rain-X allowed for complete clearing on the first swipe. :up:

I had a mishap on the way from B'ham to D.C., hit an eight-foot-long section of truck tire tread about 7"-8" wide standing on its side on I-40. -eek- Pics yet to come, but it totally mangled my CF splitter and the dealer here and the body shop both say new clam. More to come in a separate thread on the trip (soon as I get some detailed pics), but they said I was very lucky that the oil cooler on the driver's side didn't get deformed more than it did when the clam slapped it on the outer fitting.

I used a lot of Gorilla Tape to hold the splitter up and keep the fender liners in place for the rest of the trip. The LF marker light was a casualty and the clam was forced back so it now interferes with opening the driver's door. Something is causing a new rattle underneath in back, but it's minor compared to the taped-up front end... :mad:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've been commuting into Baltimore in the Lotus this week. The rain this morning was pretty crazy--I was very pleased with my new tires as the car felt quite stable even through puddles at 65 mph--a big change from the old tires. Ready for some sun, though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
No, I've currently got new T1Rs. I only got them last weekend and haven't done any spirited driving on them yet, so all I can say for sure is they seem good in the rain.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Never driven on the A048s, but the AD07's are not fun in heavy rain. Ben and Jerrys run last year got stuck in some fantastic rain coming home, and 45 was still scary, think i did a long way on the highway at 40. RainX with a good wiper works wonders. Our soft top leaked as well, a bit like this actually.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1
Did you end up buying them from Paul at Radial Tire? How are they for cornering, looks, ride comfiness?

Going to the PALS picnic this weekend?

No, I've currently got new T1Rs. I only got them last weekend and haven't done any spirited driving on them yet, so all I can say for sure is they seem good in the rain.

·
Registered
333 Posts
+1
Did you end up buying them from Paul at Radial Tire? How are they for cornering, looks, ride comfiness?

Going to the PALS picnic this weekend?
Yup, got them from Radial Tire. I got there at 7:20 AM Saturday and was fourth in line. It took forever because we couldn't find the adapter for the lug nuts and I ended up running over to Criswell and getting another one. Of course after they were finished I found the old one in the boot too. Ah well. They ended up jacking the car up in the parking lot, heh.

I don't really know how they are for cornering; I haven't had a chance to test them much yet. I have had the ABS kick in on me twice this week under normal braking. Both times the road was wet but it was not raining, and I was not stopping very hard, so I'm not sure what was up with that. Going to have to test them out some. I liked the looks of the old tires better, especially in the front, as these are a wider size than stock on the front and seem a bit bulgy looking. The ride seems a bit less jarring and possibly a bit quieter, too.

I didn't know about the PALS thing but I think I will go--meeting at Longwood Gardens (I should get some work done in the morning). Want to caravan up?
ETA: On second thought, I think I'll meet with people at Don Butler's house shortly before the planned leaving time of 11AM. It's not really any further and will make the second half of the drive out more fun.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I go to the PALS thing, yeah, we can totally caravan. PM me your address, since I'd be coming from Alexandria. And let me know what time you'd want to leave.

I am waiting to see what happens with the weather. If it is going to rain, I might still go, but I might install the hard top...

Yup, got them from Radial Tire. I got there at 7:20 AM Saturday and was fourth in line. It took forever because we couldn't find the adapter for the lug nuts and I ended up running over to Criswell and getting another one. Of course after they were finished I found the old one in the boot too. Ah well. They ended up jacking the car up in the parking lot, heh.

I don't really know how they are for cornering; I haven't had a chance to test them much yet. I have had the ABS kick in on me twice this week under normal braking. Both times the road was wet but it was not raining, and I was not stopping very hard, so I'm not sure what was up with that. Going to have to test them out some. I liked the looks of the old tires better, especially in the front, as these are a wider size than stock on the front and seem a bit bulgy looking. The ride seems a bit less jarring and possibly a bit quieter, too.

I didn't know about the PALS thing but I think I will go--meeting at Longwood Gardens (I should get some work done in the morning). Want to caravan up?
ETA: On second thought, I think I'll meet with people at Don Butler's house shortly before the planned leaving time of 11AM. It's not really any further and will make the second half of the drive out more fun.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ouch! Sorry about that. Retread tires should be illegal on the street. I'd be willing to pay an extra dollar/gallon for milk and beer to make that law happen!

There is a rumor floating around DC about a bunch of Lotus zooming west from DC recently. One person saw like twenty cars... were you part of that group?
Hi Mike -

No, I've been long gone. I was home on the 14th (left D.C. on Wednesday the 10th). I was driving solo all the way out and back.

I'll donate to your fund for outlawing retreads on commercial vehicles. I saw a truck blow one on the D.C. Beltway while I was coming around from a visit to a good friend in Columbia. Narrowly dodged the pieces from that one! -eek-

I wish I could have met and visited with some of you LTers while I was around. I didn't even get to call Tim Mullen. :(

In another post, you referred to Paul (Moorcones) at Radial Tire. I used to work for Paul at Universal Imports in the early-mid seventies. Ask him sometime about our trip with Don Heinz and Russ Poisson up to Lime Rock for one of the Car and Driver SSS Challenges we (Universal) sponsored...and how they got me to announce part of the race. :eek:

We stayed at the Barrington Motor Lodge and visited both the original and the new Alice's restaurants...had a high old time up there. :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was having lunch at Restaurant Eve in Alexandria on Thursday and there was at least 6in of standing water on the roads. Glad I didn't take the lotus that day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.