The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my tires online, dropped the wheels and tires off, and when I get the tires back, they're scratched on the outside edges. Both tires have similar scratches....I'll attach pictures below.

My only two thoughts of how this could occur:

1. Some moron prying the tire over the lip of the wheel

2. Someone using a bead-breaker on the front of the tire

Does anyone with tire-change experience have any insight how this could happen? I'm supposed to talk to the owner of the service center tomorrow, but so far he's denying his shop could have caused the damage.

Thankfully, I have before pictures as well so I can pursue a legal option if they fail to take responsibility for their error.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
Are they actual scratches or can you buff it out a little?

Looks real common to me... it's easy to do that if you aren't careful mounting tires. :(

You'd think they would have paid attention more after seeing the car the wheels came off of :no:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't see the car, they were dropped off in a truck as it's kind of a tight fit in the Elise with two rear tires...lol

And they appear to be actual scratches. There was some rubber residue, but these areas are slightly indented.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Those scratches are from setting the tire removal head on the adjustable arm of the tire removal machine too close to the rim. When the turntable of the machine is activated and starts turning the wheel the rim makes contact with the removing head and it scratches the rim. Basically, you are the victim of a sloppy technician who wasn't careful when he set up the machine. :(

Unfortunately this happens all too often and after having several of my wheels screwed up by careless tire monkeys I went out and purchased my own machine and just do them myself. Yeah, it takes me a long to time to carefully dismount and mount my tires, but I haven't screwed up a rim yet!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Same thing happened to my stock black Exige S rims. Long story short, they sent the damaged wheels out to be powder coated. Took almost a month. Never again. Have your wheels mounted and balanced by a shop that deals in expensive aftermarket wheels... they usually have enough experience to get it right.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Same thing happened to my stock black Exige S rims. Long story short, they sent the damaged wheels out to be powder coated. Took almost a month. Never again. Have your wheels mounted and balanced by a shop that deals in expensive aftermarket wheels... they usually have enough experience to get it right.
+1. I actually had some buffoon ask me if they did that, until I reminded him that the wheels came to his shop new in the box! There are shops where people know these are not for earth moving machines but for prize possessions.
Well worth a few bucks more. And you'll meet some interesting people who are into cars. Might lead anywhere.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Had that happen to me on 4 wheels, the Discount Tire manager offered to replace the wheels, but they were no longer made, and I didn't want a different wheel type, so they ended up buying me a set of 4 Pirelli Pzero tires, and I accepted that.

Try working it out with them before pursuing legal action.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I spoke with the owner. He refuses to believe that his shop could have caused the damage. When I mentioned the tire removal head, he rebuked it with "all of my guys are well trained...." and it went downhill from there.

It sucks too, because I was really hoping we could resolve it without having to sue him.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Savet
Sorry about the damage to your wheels. So not only did his guys scratch your wheels he is calling you a liar! at least rat him out here so we all know where not to go for tire service.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Contact the Better Business Bureau. Let the shop owner know beforehand you intend to do this. Maybe he'll change his tune?

I just got my wheels and rear diffuser powder coated this week and had the tires re-mounted last night. As I normally do in situations like this where someone is handling parts from my vehicle or the vehicle itself, I told the manager "I'm picky. The wheels are perfect and scratch-free. I want them the same when I leave, etc." I always tell them straight-up what I expect. As they did last night, when I let them know my expectations, they usually let their "best guy" handle the task.

Good luck getting this resolved.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i have had a few rims damaged by shops too.one time on my mothers gti a shop put one of the rims on a standard tire machine.the kind that clamps the inside of the rim.it slammed the rim so hard it bent it.the car had a very bad vibration after the tires where installed.my dad went back and told them what they did.they denied it to the very end.it was all my dad could do to not kick that punks ass.i cant believe these shops will not own up to there lame work.a new rim from volkswagon was 500 dollars.he found a perfect used one from a late model salvage yard.so now all my nice rims go to the race tire shop.there is never a scratch.always balanced perfect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive had wheels with scratches like that on my previous NSX.
Sent the wheels to wheelsamerica.com
they did a great job of fixing it. it wasnt perfect, but from 3-5 feet away, you would have a hard time telling.
its cheaper to do that than suing. going through a lawsuit is like buying very expensive lottery tickets - chances are you will lose and in general, the lawyers on both sides will win. i'm sure the business owner gets 2-3 lawsuit threats a day- they would rather lose your business, than admit wrongdoing and risk losing a lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Contact the Better Business Bureau. Let the shop owner know beforehand you intend to do this. Maybe he'll change his tune?

I just got my wheels and rear diffuser powder coated this week and had the tires re-mounted last night. As I normally do in situations like this where someone is handling parts from my vehicle or the vehicle itself, I told the manager "I'm picky. The wheels are perfect and scratch-free. I want them the same when I leave, etc." I always tell them straight-up what I expect. As they did last night, when I let them know my expectations, they usually let their "best guy" handle the task.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Or you can take him to small claims to resolve the issue. It's best to let him know in advance you plan to and send him a letter of demand.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Those scratches are from setting the tire removal head on the adjustable arm of the tire removal machine too close to the rim. When the turntable of the machine is activated and starts turning the wheel the rim makes contact with the removing head and it scratches the rim. Basically, you are the victim of a sloppy technician who wasn't careful when he set up the machine. :(

Unfortunately this happens all too often and after having several of my wheels screwed up by careless tire monkeys I went out and purchased my own machine and just do them myself. Yeah, it takes me a long to time to carefully dismount and mount my tires, but I haven't screwed up a rim yet!
+1. this is why I install all my own tires. (I used to be a suspension mechanic while I worked through college...and thus I'm on great terms with shop owner, so I have free reign of the place when needed)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This is really unacceptable. I don't care if this was a Chevy Cavalier, Kia or Isetta - the rim should leave exactly as it arrived.

I might understand if the tire was something huge - like for a Z06, ZR1, Viper, Murci, etc - but the Elise/Exige tire is a fairly average size. I have had tire shops tell me in the past they cannot guarantee that no damage will occur mounting/unmounting tires because the device has to make contact with the rim to set the bead. I am faced with a take it or leave it situation - and I tend to leave it - but then get forced into risking it to be able to have tires mounted.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Auto Addictions in Allentown ruined one of mine also, dismounting the tires. Ironically, they "work on 26" rims all the time", as they arrogantly responded when i asked if they were confident they could do it before i took them over. A*holes. But, they did offer me a "break on tires", if i wanted some. I had to walk out the door before I went ballistic. Worst part is when i questioned them about the damage, their honest-to-God response was, "Well, you're getting them powdercoated anyways". I almost went throught the roof.

Next time do yourself a favor, call your local bimmer or porsche dealer and pay the ridiculous shop rate to get it done right-totally worth it. I called BMW and they worked with them without a problem.

·
Registered
821 Posts
And to think I can do this on a machine that's older than I am :eek: without harming the wheels.

My dad took my mom's Infiniti FX to Sam's for new tires and they scratched (very small) her wheel. the guy came out scared out of his wits...luckily he was dealing with my dad and not me. My dad told him not to worry about it. I was impressed with the kid's honesty, but not so impressed with his skill. (or lack there of)

Any reputable shop will take care of you. I remember when I was still a wrench jockey we had an older fellow working there and he dropped one of our alignment racks down w/o checking that the car was in park....it wasn't. it began to roll so I jumped behind it and slowed it down he opened the door and it caught the side of our building (the door lost that fight). We had it at a body shop, and taken care of before the end of the day. but also told the customer what happened. they were irritated but when the car came back looking better then it did when they brought it, they were okay. Have to accept that "stuff happens" but when it does, you have to take care of the customer. take the loss and move on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts