The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spouse is home alone and believes she locked our only key in the trunk of her 2006 Elise. I've seen several threads on how to get into the trunk, however, it appears the solution is only provided via PM.

Can someone help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, FYI, I have a an uncut spare key that I bought via mail order from Lotus. However, I can find no local locksmith that will cut it. The closest dealership is 4 hours away. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've seen several threads on how to get into the trunk, however, it appears the solution is only provided via PM.
& for good reason.... last thing we need is a public announcement on how to break into our cars ;)

also as far as getting a spare, wouldn't a local hardware store be able to cut a car key based off an original? like ACE/home depot/menards/lowes...

I've had numerous house/car keys cut that way (home depot/ACE specifically) :shrug: & for significantly cheaper than any dealer can

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Depends on the key.

I have some locks that you can't even buy the blanks in this area of the country, even a dealer.
Very restricted key access.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Also, FYI, I have a an uncut spare key that I bought via mail order from Lotus. However, I can find no local locksmith that will cut it. The closest dealership is 4 hours away. Any suggestions?
I got Ilco blanks cut at Home Depot. Any shop with an Axxess key maker can do it; tell them it is cartridge "B". I had to go through all the cartridges to find that one, but it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
394 Posts
back to this topic:
itslotawrk's method relies on a part that is only on US models.
does anybody know about a method that would work on non-US models?

·
Registered
903 Posts
this irritates the piss out of me when we keep some secret method PM only... as if street thugs are trolling Lotus forums online to find out how to get into the trunk of a car. I've had my car for 4 years now and still have no idea what this secret PM method is.

*Edited to remove trunk opening method*

·
Registered
394 Posts
you are describing the method that only works with US models.

we would never think it logical to install an emergency release handle inside a trunk that could only fit a puppy.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
rwbronco, you posted the way to get in. That is how you do it and how it is explained in PM's. It's just better to be safe than sorry, especially online.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
I'm just a curious person and now just want to know hot to get in ... *sighs*

But I know I have no legitimate reason to know! :p
When you bring your car over next time I will show you how to get into it!

·
Registered
903 Posts
rwbronco, you posted the way to get in. That is how you do it and how it is explained in PM's. It's just better to be safe than sorry, especially online.
so snip is the top secret method? :facepalm

edited to leave conversation

·
Registered
201 Posts
But the tools you have in your bedroom are illegal in Utah and most Southern states! -eek-

(This was really good before rwbronco edited his post... I promise!)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The street criminal approach involves a prybar and broken bodywork.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts