The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Locked Only Key in Trunk

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  NickRadford 
#1 ·
My spouse is home alone and believes she locked our only key in the trunk of her 2006 Elise. I've seen several threads on how to get into the trunk, however, it appears the solution is only provided via PM.

Can someone help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, FYI, I have a an uncut spare key that I bought via mail order from Lotus. However, I can find no local locksmith that will cut it. The closest dealership is 4 hours away. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I've seen several threads on how to get into the trunk, however, it appears the solution is only provided via PM.
& for good reason.... last thing we need is a public announcement on how to break into our cars ;)

also as far as getting a spare, wouldn't a local hardware store be able to cut a car key based off an original? like ACE/home depot/menards/lowes...

I've had numerous house/car keys cut that way (home depot/ACE specifically) :shrug: & for significantly cheaper than any dealer can

#16 ·
When you bring your car over next time I will show you how to get into it!

#7 ·
Depends on the key.

I have some locks that you can't even buy the blanks in this area of the country, even a dealer.
Very restricted key access.

#9 ·
Also, FYI, I have a an uncut spare key that I bought via mail order from Lotus. However, I can find no local locksmith that will cut it. The closest dealership is 4 hours away. Any suggestions?
I got Ilco blanks cut at Home Depot. Any shop with an Axxess key maker can do it; tell them it is cartridge "B". I had to go through all the cartridges to find that one, but it worked like a charm.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
this irritates the piss out of me when we keep some secret method PM only... as if street thugs are trolling Lotus forums online to find out how to get into the trunk of a car. I've had my car for 4 years now and still have no idea what this secret PM method is.

*Edited to remove trunk opening method*

#19 ·
The street criminal approach involves a prybar and broken bodywork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.