The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello lotus community
I just purchased a 99 Esprit with only one ignition key and a fob which now doesn't work. The car luckily is sitting in my driveway but I have no way of getting in it. Does anyone know if a slim Jim will get the door opened and if so where can I get a new set of fobs?? The only key I have is not cut to open the doors and am trying to keep from having to call a locksmith$$$ I do have a cylindrical key? that came with the car but don't know what it's for. Any help would be appreciated, as I now have an awesome looking car sitting in the driveway that I can't move! :panic:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
When you get in your car and get a new fob, you will be able to easily program it with that little barrel key. Instructions are on the sticky on here.

Did you wash the fob? If not, maybe it's just in need of a new battery.

Also I have read somewhere that holding both buttons down for 10 seconds can reset the fob. Don't know if I dreamt that though, but worth a try.

·
Registered
480 Posts
First thing I would try is a new battery in the key fob. If that doesn't work then as lotusespritse says above, try re-programming the fob. I'm surprised that the key you have isn't cut to open the door as usually the key is good for both the ignition and door locks.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The key for the ignition is also supposed to open the doors. Try both doors with the key. Try it upside up and upside down. You will find it difficult to open the door with a slim jim. Easier to go for the unlock in the door inside the car. A locksmith will be cheaper than the damage you can cause. The fobs are on E-bay. You should have TWO each of the following sets:

Ignition/door key
remote fob
cylindrical bypass
wrench to remove the wheel center screw

You can program your own fobs but you must have a cylindrical bypass key done for you. On the fob only the larger button works. Get a new battery in it and press it once. Sounds like you should have 2 new keys cut too.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts