The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Had mine on for a year with no CEL. I really don't see why there should be any problems as the "guts" of the modification is still the Lotus cap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Canada NAPA Part#

had a heck of a time trying to find a STANT dealer in Edmonton, but I took a shot and tried NAPA's locking cap. Looked exactly the same as the STANT one but it was in a NAPA box. IT WORKED!!! For those unfortunate people that don't have a local stant dealer drop by your local NAPA store and order NAPA Part# 31783. I paid $20 and took 5mins to do the swap. If someone else posted about this before, sorry for the repeat!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
elisenc solution worked as slick as dog balls! Cheap too! 14 bucks and 3 min to swap over. Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just a FYI to those that did the locking gas cap mod with a Stant 11507 and non-OEM (eg Jaguar) cap: I was able to drive my Elise with that mod for about 5000 miles without an issues. However, the CEL eventually came on (yes, the cap was on properly)and I needed to order a OEM cap from Lotus (which I did the locking mod to) to get the code to clear. Just something to keep in mind if those without OEM caps get the CEL down the road.
I did mine with the Jag X-Type cap (which is the exact part as Lotus OE) and the Stant locking cap. Mine has been on for over 20,000 miles, never a CEL. The Jag cap is the only one which has proven to be an exact replacement. You really shouldn't have had to pay the Lotus price for the cap.

Surprised to stumble on this old thread, but glad to see it renewed for newer owners. This is a winner. :up:

·
Registered
31 Posts
my friend lives in UK, finally she found me the fuel cap w/ lock for 05 Elise, it come w/ 2 keys, works good no problem, same size same tall, dont need to do the mod. I paid GBP$45 and keep the factory cap for backup.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
my friend lives in UK, finally she found me the fuel cap w/ lock for 05 Elise, it come w/ 2 keys, works good no problem, same size same tall, dont need to do the mod. I paid GBP$45 and keep the factory cap for backup.

Looks exactly like my Stant conversion...for $12.00. (Sorry) :eek:

If yours had a lanyard attached, I'd think it was a pic of mine...

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just got the locking gas cap installed. Velcro'd the Key to the inside of the top of the driver's side cubby. I love peace of mind for $12.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there a relatively easy way to have the lock work with my engine key? It doesn't have to be a 1:1 match to my key but I'd rather not carry and futz with another key.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Why not just get the Stant 11511 and not bother messing with the stock one?:shrug:
For those that don't know, the gas caps are calibrated to hold only so much pressure, and to hold only so much vacuum until the internal valves in the caps open. If either is off in calibration, then it may be detected by the ECU awhich will throw a MIL code. By the way, it's properly called a Malfunction Indicator Light, not CEL - Check Engine Light - now days. Actually since about '96 when the ECU started detecting many more things that could fault in the car (many that have nothing to do with the engine).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Stant Direct Replacement Locking and Regular Fuel Caps

I had a locking cap I bought on ebay for the last 4 years and didn't have any problems with MILs over that time. This cap was a Stant Quick-on variety and the portion that inserted into the filler tube was gray POM plastic and had 2 triangle shaped bosses to lock it in place. This cap worked fine but was always quite a bit of work to get it to tighten. Recently, the ratchet mechanism located in the top of the cap that allows tightening of the cap failed. I have no idea what the Stant number was for this cap as I bought it on ebay as fitting a Lotus Elise with no reference to the Stant number. There is a Stant Logo "S" on the cap so I know it was a Stant cap but that is it. There are no model numbers printed or molded anywhere on the cap.

I went to use my original cap in place of the brocken locking cap but found it is not useable since it was stored in a cabinet with some other materials that appear to have emitted fumes causing sever crazing, cracking, and yellowing of the POM plastic used in filler tube portion of the cap.

So, I had to start researching how to come up with either another regular gas cap or locking cap at a reasonable price and in a short time since I was without a functioning fuel cap.

Searching around on the internet I found Stant direct replacements for the original Lotus cap. These are Stant 10851 for the non-locking type and Stant 10521 for the locking type. These are direct replacements as can be seen in the pictures below of the 10521, 10851. Rock auto has the 10851 for $12.36 plus shipping and Amazon.com has the 10521 for $21.57 plus shipping. I purchased the 10521 from Amazon and received it today. The 10521 can be seen in the comparison pictures below with my crazed original cap.

The 10521 fits perfectly, is easy to tighten and looks and measures identical to the original lotus cap. This is a direct replacement and you don't need to build up a hybrid cap out of half a locking cap for a Jag and half of your original cap.

The standard usage for these caps is on a 2005 Land Rover LR3. I believe the 10521 can probably be bought at autopart stores for less than the Amazon.com price, but I needed a cap quickly, I have free 2-day shipping from Amazon and I didn't have time this week to run around looking.

Dave :shift:

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice

Nice post wicked! I will try the 10521 and let you know if I get a MIL.

Dave
:UK:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
what I really want is the locked gas door that the euro cars have, but those have 8 screws versus 6 for ours, IIRC.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts