The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the wheel bolt keys come in multiple patterns or is there just one that fits all of the locking wheel bolts?

I'm asking because a friend of mine lost his wheel bolt key and he can't get the wheels off of his Elise. If the keys are all the same then he can just buy another one.

Let me know and TIA.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
They're all the same for Elise/Exige.
NO!

The standard wheel bolts have a ten point "key" and all are the same.

However the 05s at least also had a coded lock bolt of which there are 20 or so variants.

SO the question is are you talking about the standard bolts (which aren't "locked" - they just use a non standard tool) or the lock bolts?

The tool to remove the standard ones is, naturally, standard :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
They are different and people said that they had trouble with the keyed ones stripping or breaking. It's better to just replace the 4 keyed ones with regular ones. It was a dumb idea since their is no market for the wheels anyway since the front ones wont fit any other cars and you need the 10 point thing to get the other ones off. My car had some paperwork that had the key lock code on it. It was in the black pouch that the tools were in. I will try to attach a picture of what it looks like in a little while. If you call a dealer they should have all of the sets in stock or should be able to take them off and then just buy regular bolts instead. I think their was a thread may years ago about someone who bought a full set and would lend you the one you need as long as you paid a deposit on it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are different and people said that they had trouble with the keyed ones stripping or breaking. It's better to just replace the 4 keyed ones with regular ones. It was a dumb idea since their is no market for the wheels anyway since the front ones wont fit any other cars and you need the 10 point thing to get the other ones off. My car had some paperwork that had the key lock code on it. It was in the black pouch that the tools were in. I will try to attach a picture of what it looks like in a little while. If you call a dealer they should have all of the sets in stock or should be able to take them off and then just buy regular bolts instead. I think their was a thread may years ago about someone who bought a full set and would lend you the one you need as long as you paid a deposit on it.
Thanks - I'll let my friend know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts