The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had the Elise about a year -- first the drivers side lock went out, now the passenger side.
Before I crack open the door to try and visually see whats wrong, wanted to see if yall had any pointers for me. Right now I can't manually push the lock down into the door and if I use the keys from the outside manually, not the fob, there's no tension, key will turn but nothing will happen.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hi all, had the Elise about a year -- first the drivers side lock went out, now the passenger side.
Before I crack open the door to try and visually see whats wrong, wanted to see if yall had any pointers for me. Right now I can't manually push the lock down into the door and if I use the keys from the outside manually, not the fob, there's no tension, key will turn but nothing will happen.
The Elise has two sets of locks in each door. The manual locks are completely separate from the power locks, so if you lock the door electronically you won't be able to unlock it with the key. Since your power locks appear to be stuck in the unlocked position, you can still use the key to secure the car in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
if I use the keys from the outside manually, not the fob, there's no tension, key will turn but nothing will happen.
This is normal and it caught me off guard at first as well. For reference, when manual locking the car, if the key slot is horizontal it is unlocked, vertical it is locked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is normal and it caught me off guard at first as well. For reference, when manual locking the car, if the key slot is horizontal it is unlocked, vertical it is locked.

So it is locked! Wow. That really is odd, but works. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
903 Posts
So it is locked! Wow. That really is odd, but works. Thanks!
It's odd in the 21st century. If you have a mid-20th century car or truck it's very common - my '65 Chevy van is like this, for instance - it has locking push buttons on the exterior door handles like the Elige, and the doors may also be locked by pushing the interior lever down past the normal stop position. Unlocking one does not unlock the other, and a door can be 'double locked.' Unlike the Lotus, there's no pull knob on the window sill to tell you what is going on with the interior lock, either.

The Lotus is a throwback in this respect, as in some others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts