The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have decided to start a Locost 7 project. I am fascinated by the idea of building a car from the ground up so I am giving it a try. I have looked through some of the projects on here and I hope I can follow suit.

So far I have been at it for two days and I have managed to complete the bottom frame and start on the top frame.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would like to do a se7en some day to.. I'm sure you are already familiar with all of the internet links that support your efforts, but I'll throw out a couple of my favorites:

USA7s
Flyin' Miata 1 800 FLY MX5s

and one I'm sure you've been all over:

the Seven

Have a great time with your build, and keep us updated on progress. What drivetrain do you have planned?

- Allen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I have been all over those places. They helped me decide on what size/type frame I wanted to build. I went with the +442 style frame since I am a bigger guy and it helps for a beginner to have extra room to work.

I plan on using the Miata drivetrain. There is just so much information and parts available for the Miata. I am going to go with the 1.8L w/LSD. For a first build I think this may be the safe way to go.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good Luck!!

I bought the book but, never built the car.

I was going to buy a Mercury Capri and use it as a donor. The only one I found had an automatic transmission. I chickened out.

A few years ago I bought a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spyder. Now that would have been a great donor car but, it was all original and in fairly good shape. I sold it when I bought the Lotus for about $2000 more than I paid for it.

I still think about the Locost but , I have moved on to a new project. The restoration of a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe.

Keep us posted.

LPM

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
WONDERFUL! it will be a great time when you achieve each step along the way.
now all we need is for some jerk to carp about why you SHOULD have done a different model, etc.
sound familiar?
best of luck.
sam

·
Registered
107 Posts
This really interests me- where did you get plans for the chassis, or is it one of those scientific arts, where you look at similar designs then build what looks right to you?

Also, any estimate on your final cost?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a ton of information at Building a locost lotus 7 replica in the USA. You can find links to different styles of plans and books. There is no A-Z plan or book. There are only suggestions on how things can be done. Tons of ups and downs in this project!

I have had people tell me things from using a Miata is stupid, the car is ugly I should build a Cobra since that is fast, and the best one is that I won't be able to handle the car.

I would like to introduce everyone to my donor car whom I have affectionately named "THE MULLET!".

Say HI!

We are all BUSINESS in the front!

and all PARTY in the back!

You know gas is high when you get into your donor car and the first thing you think is DAMN IT HAS A HALF TANK!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had fun today. The drivers side door was pinched really good. It need to be opened so I could access the dash. I will be swapping parts from this car that I don't need for a new rear subframe.

The only way this could have been cooler is if I had used explosives!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I learned a lot about dashboards today.

I hope next time I remove a dash I can do it in half the time! I took my time since I will be swapping it for a rear subframe!

I will be working on the rear subframe this weekend. That will officially begin the task of moving parts from a donor to the Locost frame!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really enjoying this thread. Good work, and keep the updates coming!

- Allen.
Thanks. The site that is hosting my pictures is down for now. When it comes back up I will update on the progress of the donor car.

I now have a complete Miata subframe that I will be test fitting and reconditioning as needed. I havd decided like some others to just use it as a whole piece. It adds a slight amount of weight, but it is a well tested piece of suspension. It will perform and there are tons of information and parts for it on the cheap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I now have a complete rear subframe from a Miata. This should work out perfect!

Honestly now is the boring part of pulling parts from a donor and cleaning them up. I have a lot of work to do on that side of the house. The updates may get boring. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have to love the racing/car community. My buddies are coming over for a Stripper and BBQ party this Saturday. :)

The goal is to strip the donor Miata and send it to the Junkyard!! I hope to have lots of pics of parts that are going to be moved over to the frame.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You have to love the racing/car community. My buddies are coming over for a Stripper and BBQ party this Saturday. :)
So, basically, nothing's gonna get done is what you're telling us. :p

Good luck and have fun! (I think you won't have a problem doing that second part. ;))

1 - 20 of 34 Posts