The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Only 6 weeks until LOG 24 in Birmingham, AL. We hope you'll join us. Feel free to browse the update info on the Lotus Ltd. web site or you can go straight to LOG 24

Come to Alabama to meet Dan Gurney, cruise around Barber Motorsports Park in your Elise and of course party with all we other Lotus nuts!

Happy Lotusing!

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
48 Days and Counting

The Barber Museum has a huge collection of Lotus racing cars, certainly the most extensive in the US and possibly elsewhere. It covers the Mark 6 to a 107B F1 (plastered on the museum wall, 30 feet in air no less) and many examples in between. If you are buying an Elise you need to see the Barber collection to truly appreciate, through your own eyes, the racing heritage that is the basis of your car. You'll also be able to talk to some of the engineers at LOG 24 who designed the Elise, as several muckity-mucks from the factory will be there. Go to www.barbermotorsports.com for a preview of the facility (as all know, the Barber track is where the Elise made it's US debut). If you are buying an Elise, you really need to come to Birmingham in September. The entire event is focused on the Elise, but for those of you new to the marque, you'll see some incredible examples of 7's, Espirits, Europas, Elans, Elites, etc., etc. It will give you an additional appreciation for what you have, or will get eventually.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike:

I for one am damn excited about getting the Lotus on Barber's track. Meeting Gurney should be great as well. I found two magazine articles I'm hoping to have him autograph to my children.

CYA in September!

Mark

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have written two articles that will be in the Event Guide both about the Elise in addition there are a number of Elise focused articles. Also as Mike mentions a number of Lotus US and Lotus UK people will be there. And finally a challange to all the new Elise owners, I am bringing my Caterham 7 whether the Elise has arrived or not, so bring your Elise to the Autocross. The Elise and Seven will be in the same classification at the Autocross and I intend to administer a spanking (well at least in terms of time) to each and every Elise owner! Get prepared for my 50 year old technology to whip up on you!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It was very hot at Raod Atlanta but what a great track day! Panoz puts on a terrific event and this one was true to form. The great things was my last three sessions on the track were wide open only 4 -5 cars at the end of the day! What a blast, I can't tell you how great the Seven is at the track, it seems the hotter the brakes got the better they worked. But man oh man can Z06s and Porsche Turbos blow me away on the back straight, the poor Caterham tops out at 110- 120 and the big horsepower cars are going 130 - 140 ! That's ok I gained a lot of it back under braking for turn 10A and B.
Really a very fun day!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
JIm,
I found the same thing at Road Atlanta, my Caterham ate up the corners all to be wasted when the big hp cars blasted by on the long straight, I had loads of fun, but yeah the aerodynamics of the caterham are about like a barn door, at least with the clams as I had fitted!!

Barber is supposed to be much more friendly to good cornering cars.
Chris

·
Banned
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Road Atlanta has to be one of America's nicest venues. I was there in February with Esprit racer Zac Zarcodulas (RIP!) with the Esprit. It's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

LOG 24's track day at Barber Motorsports Park should be nothing short of phenomenal.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mark,
I rode with Zack in his Kermit the frog 91 Esprit before he bought his x180r. Cool going into turn 10? under the bridge, he had brake fade and we almost did a header into the bridge upright! What a blast.
Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Your right Mark, no long back straight at Barber, I am really looking forward to that track. I think it is ideal for an Elise or Seven. I am signed up for the autocross and track day.
Chris, bring the Elise to LOG 24 the more the better!

·
Banned
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I'm also looking forward to at LOG 24 is the chance to meet some of the new guys from LCU. I met Mark O'Shaunessy in February. John English, Clyde Shepherd(??) and Dave Simkin(??) should also be at LOG 24. Should be fun!

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mark, you haven't met Clyde yet? I got an email from him today, they'll be there Frid thru Sun/mon.
Chris
Jim absolutely no doubt I'm bringing the Elise, silver bullets bringing his as well.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Bloody Mary's in 'bama... I thought all I could get was 'shine!

Just curious... might be fun. It's a lot easier to get up and watch a race at 7:30am instead of 4-F'ing-30 here on the left coast!

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would love to get up and watch the GP, but we have an Autocross to participate in on Sunday morning! On the other hand if we can get it recorded we can assemble in the lounge and watch it later in the day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts