The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from LOG!

Just got into to my hotel room after dinner w/ Chris.

LOG is off to a wonderful start. Chris & I along with a couple of M100 Elans caravaned from LCU to Birmingham. Boy did we get a bunch of looks!

There's about 6-7 Elises here. One from Florida, a couple for GA. LCU has 2 cars here, a AS one & the mag blue car from the LA Show.

Had some wonderful conversations with the LCU folks. Just know the factory is aware of the oil cooler & A/C issues and will be communicating to the dealers shortly on the fixes.

There's a tech session tomorrow AM by LCU about the Elise. Hope to be able to report some details from there. And the Concours is tomorrow - lots of pixs to come.

Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just posted some info from the LCU Tech Session. Talked about the A/C.

One thing about the oil coolers. Dealers will begin inspecting them shortly. Seems the factory was over tightening some of them causing to stress the connection. A correction has been made to production and it is fixed for cars coming out of Hethel.

More - www.gglotus.org then go to "HotNews"

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2005 LOG announced at the banquet tonite...

LOG 25 will be in St Louis - Aug 25-28

BTW... Tony Shute spoke and mentioned that the LSD is being developed with AutoX'g in mind. He has driven a car with it, but needs to test it in the wet.

Also lightweight option to be offered, sans A/C etc.

FINALLY... Shinoo got an Elise today!!! :clap:

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kiyoshi:

I saw mention of Toyota performance parts not being compatible....but was there any mention of a supercharger in the works at the factory? Thanks for getting the news out so quickly.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Dave didn't specifically say a supercharger was in the works, but he said all kinds of goodies were in the pipeline for performance. As stated, he did of course mention the trd parts wouldn't be usable in an elise.
Chris

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another tidbit I got form Tony tonite... we were discussing his FIRST AutoX. He did quite well, got down to a 46.4 or so. Clyde bested him with a 46 flat.

Anyway we talked about LSD... he's not quite sure, as he didn't experience a need, but felt that it could be useful in certain situation. I mentioned that this course was quite "greasy" as it was a well used mall parking lot with LOTS of oil stains.

But, really interesting thing he mentioned was the development work they've begun with Yokohama on a soft compound version of the 048. Later Shinoo & I spoke with the Yokohama rep, who clearly was not aware of this work, but shared Yokohama's typical strategy. I summized and would guess it would be an 048 tire with a different compound, not a new tire with "virtual" tread like the Kumho or Hoosier.

BTW... Tony had a BIG grin on his face after each of his AutoX runs!!!

Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Some additional tidbits:

- The factory fill is mineral oil. Switch to 5W40 synthetic @ 1k

- US Exige business model is being looked at carefully. They would not confirm because there are some regulatory challenges.

-Expect stripes, different colors, special editions, bespoke interiors in future model years.

-John English reiterated LCU's goal of achieving 10k sales/yr in '07 or '08.

-Barber motorcycle museum is THE best I've ever seen. I did not want to leave it!

-The race track is amazing. I didn't drive my rental (unlike some other intrepid attendees) but did enjoy a few hot laps with Tony Shute. I highly recommend this track to all you track addicts. It is awesome! Just don't have an 'off' cuz a fat track repair bill will soon follow...

-Misc: I had a great time meeting and hanging out with Chris, Mick, Jim, Kiyoshi and others. Did I mention that the track was AWESOME?!!!! I won a battery powered RC Elise - orange of course. :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The Elises may have made it to 46 but what about those Sevens? At least one ran a 42 with Chris in it, that's about a 190 pound weight penality! I don't know I think the Elises are going to have a problem with those light weight Sevens.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
JIm,
Yep I posted the report of my hair raising ride with you at the autox!!

Everyone always has problems competing against sevens in autocross:D

190 pounds, ouch! Actually only 175 pounds!;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
shinoo said:

-John English reiterated LCU's goal of achieving 10k sales/yr in '07 or '08.
What is he smoking? Lotus isn't even building 10k cars a year total for then entire world now. The Lotus factory wouldn't even have enough space to produce or park that many cars - unless - production is moving somewhere warm, with an oriental feel???? :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts