The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm Phil Wehman, coordinator for the LOG 28 Autocross. There has been some recent discussion on the "LOG 28 IS COMING" thread http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45390 regarding the autocross, so I'm breaking it out to it's own thread.

The site, course, safety considerations, etc. for the event are well in hand. The classing format, however, is an area that I'm still thinking about, so I would really like to hear from people who are planning to run the autocross. What type of classing would you like to see? Straight SCCA classes? Model groupings? Mod-based groupings? There have been some interesting suggestions from the "LOG 28 IS COMING" thread so lets keep the discussion going.

What are you bringing? It will help me to get an early idea and I'm sure others are interested so they can begin their smack talk! So, tell us about your car:
1. Model
2. Engine
3. Tires (street, DOT R compounds, slicks?)
4. Describe your car:
a) Vintage - older car true to the original specs
b) Stock
c) Some mods
d) Track car or has major performance mods (describe)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're bringing! If you have any questions about the autocross, this is the place to ask!

Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should go first!

1. 2005 Elise
2. Engine - stock, no mods
3. Tires - DOT R (A048)
4. Describe your car: Some mods - exhaust, adjustable shocks

Phil

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
We will be bringing and I will be dominating (its never too early to start the trash talk) with our:
1. 1958 Lotus Seven series 1
2. Engine - BMC 948 punched out to a bit under 1000cc
3. Tires - 135SR15 Michelin
4. Describe your car - Vintage
I mailed off the registration yesterday. The thought of an auto-x where I don't have to shag cones is just too appealing to pass up.

Today it started! :nanner2: This is the first time it has run in years and the first time I have ever heard the engine run. :coolnana:

The Westfield XI should be afraid, very afraid.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would like to submit this class ranking.

Class willy.

In a class of his own.

That way im gaurunteed a trophey. :clap:

No, Being serious now. Randy is going down. :lol:

;)

And so im not totally useless.

2007 Exige S.
-Special edition K&N intake Good for 45whp

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I expected more activity on this thread. Did the thought of running against a fearsome 50 hp Seven running 135SR15 tires scare you Elise folks away?

Maybe no one is interested in an auto-x where you don’t have to work in order to run?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I am interested but already posted in the other thread what I thought classing should be.

I hope to bring a Toniq R (Seven clone).

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I propose 3 groups with 3 prep levels each, plus 2 unlimited classes.

The Groups:
Vintage = All Lotus street cars built before 1980
Modern = M100 Elans & Turbocharged Esprits
Elise = All Elise & Exige street variants, including S1's

The Prep levels:
Stock = As close to factory original as can be reasonably expected
Sport = Street tires, but pretty much the rest is open. No engine swaps!
Race = Race rubber is ok, but no engine swaps!

Unlimited:
Vintage Unlimited = Vintage Lotus Race cars (Formula & Sports Racing cars eligible for vintage road racing, not SCCA Solo D+E Mod cars)
Open Unlimited = Everything Else (Engine swaps, SCCA Solo XP and D+E Mod cars, even Caterhams & Corvettes...)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I like the prep levels and the unlimited class but think the grouping is a little too broad. It would make late non-Lotus Se7ens the winners in Vintage and M100 the winners in Modern. If there are enough cars entered split M100 from Esprit/Eclat/Elite. There isn't much you can do to make an Esprit quick on a Lotus oriented auto-x course as they are huge compared to most Lotus models. There should be enough Se7en's to have their own class especially if you let the VI's run and add the prep level "Grandad's Lotus".

Robert; Any chance you will be around to give advice to the auto-x challanged?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Late non-Lotus Se7ens (ie Cat's, Westies, Toniq, Birkin, Etc.) would go in the Open Unlimited class in my structure above.

Having driven a tweaked V8 Esprit and a high boost M100 on the same autocross course, I can tell you it's going to come down to driver more than anything. While they do things very differently, both are sub-par autocross cars, and the results end up being surprisingly similar.

In Autocross, I'll take a rwd Elan over any Lotus but an Elise. A properly set-up Seven can be devastatingly quick, but no more so than an equally well prepared Elan, Europa or Elise.

As far as me being able to attend, it's unlikely. Our 2nd child is due the first week of August...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, we'll have workers provided. Participants just drive and socialize. It's a sweet deal...how could you not sign up? :)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,697 Posts
Will there be a Rental Car Class for those who have to fly in?????

(Darn those Hertz Minivans are tippy...) :panic:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think any 'stock' category needs to be divided into two, based on whether a car has R compound tires....these can be technically stock (factory option) but a big advantage over the cars without. Intake and exhaust mods shouldn't affect the Elise/Exige classifications as I believe most owners haven't reprogrammed their ECUs to take advantage of those mods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will there be a Rental Car Class for those who have to fly in?????

(Darn those Hertz Minivans are tippy...) :panic:
There will be a group that allows for rentals/non-Lotus. However Minivans and SUV and other HCG vehicles won't be able to run!
Phil

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
What about a Noble M400, slightly tweaked? :)

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,683 Posts
Bringing The Slow

I'm bringing our 2007 Elise, on AD07's. Is there a 'pedestrian' class, paced by a senior citizen on foot?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I dont care where my '97 Caterham is classed as long as you subtract a second for every car part that falls off during a run:). And a 1/2 second for every part that fails, but stays in the car!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts