The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

It enters my mind that a LoJack or similar might be a useful investment for the Elise but I know JACK about them...

Can anyone shed any light as to the merit/worth of such devices? Is there a useful insurance saving to be had? Is there sufficient coverage?

I understand they don't weigh much ;)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm hoping that the ingress/egress will be so difficult, the thief will just, "Oh, to hell with it" and leave.

(Unless he works in team... then the hooligans will simply pick up the car and place it by hand onto a flatbed.)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with Chris (zvezdah)'s position on this. If they steal my car, I don't want it back, I'll just settle with the insurance co and get another.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do we think a LoJack is a useful deterrant, overrated/priced in that respect or just ignored?

:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Paul,
LoJack doesn't have coverage in all parts of the country. If you are considering one, you should make sure you fall in one of those zones (typically major urban centers and their suburbs).

There is an insurance rebate, but I believe it varies depending on the insurance company you have.

For what it's worth, I have one in my RX-7 - but it had a lot of aftermarket parts on it that I felt made the system more worthwhile.
Best,
John

Paul MD said:
Do we think a LoJack is a useful deterrant, overrated/priced in that respect or just ignored?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Whoops, quoted the wrong message in my first reply.

LoJack really isn't a deterrant. There aren't any flashing lights or sirens deterring any theif from stealing your car. Aside from you choosing to put their sticker on your window, nobody (including yourself) will know that it's on the vehicle from a visual inspection.

It's more of a vehicle recovery system... and it provides a nice insurance rebate.
Best,
John

Paul MD said:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Lojack has been advertising pretty heavily on the radio here in LA lately. I noticed that they mentioned 90% recovery (what happens to the rest of the cars??). Also something about a 24-hour guaranteed return (may cost extra). I really haven't looked into it.

I don't think the Elise will be a target for the professional thief. Perhaps a joyrider would want to take one. Hopefully, the built-in disabling mechanism will thwart the casual thief.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've looked into LoJack and their coverage is spotty at best (St. Louis is not included). I'd imagine that the majority of the 10% that weren't recovered had been taken out of the coverage area.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Aside from you choosing to put their sticker on your window, nobody (including yourself) will know that it's on the vehicle from a visual inspection.
Actually, when I thought of getting LoJack, the rep told me I should NOT put a sticker on the car, and never tell anyone I had it. If the car is stolen, they don't want the thief to look for the LoJack unit and disable it. I suspect that, if you put a LoJack sticker on the car, they won't honor the guarantee to get it back.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
In N.Y., Lojack, at a one-time $700 charge, affords you a 25% yearly discount from your comprehensive-fire & theft coverage. I believe the percentage is 35% for those in N.J.. Not sure concerning the costs for other states that carry Lojack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts