The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in her with the windows down waiting for my gf to get out of class... some lady got in her truck and hammered it in reverse straight into me (she didn't even turn while backing out) I was leaning on the horn the last 5 feet she came at me. Had she been backing up like a semi-intelligent person she would have seen me or heard my horn and this all could have been avoided. What do you think needs to be replaced? Estimated cost? I haven't opened the door I don't think I will. Glass is shattered, door got owned, front of the rear clam paint is messed up and possibly cracked fiberglass in door jam?? Maybe bent door hinge? .... :(

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Depends...I wouldn't be surprised to see this top $10k though, and that's assuming the rear clam can be repaired.

Just a heads up, I've heard of other mag blue owners having a hard time getting the new paint to match the old. Be sure to inspect it carefully when you pick it up from the body shop, look for too much/little purple.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
lets get these out of the way:

1. That will buff right out.
2. Totaled, time to upgrade.

Could add up to a lot depending if the damage on the clams can be fixed or they need to be replaced. Take a closer look and see of there are sections that that have stress cracks or not, that will determine if they are repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
that's why people shouldn't carry sidearms...or maybe they really should...
just another CDL driver. (comatose driver's license)
it's a shame
sam

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Okay, I'll be the doom sayer. I'd be very concerned that the door beam in the door is bent. And that in turn would make me concerned about the door hinge in front and the roll bar in the rear (the door attaches to it when closed. There could be a lot of hidden damage there - more than just the door, door beam, and rear clam.

Hope the other "driver" has good insurance...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The idiot backed in to your door? Or the front and pushed the clam into the door and on into the rear clam.

I’m assuming you got hit in the door. If the chassis where the hinge and/or door latch pin (the thing you get with you elbow sometimes) mounts, then you may need a NEW CAR.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Good luck, I hope it can be repaired.

Is that where your car was sitting when hit?

I know it's the other driver's fault, technically...she was moving you were stationary.

But...I'm in the habit, when in a parking area lot that, of operating the car as if:
1) Nobody can see me.
2) Nobody will hear the horn. They won't, the horns on these cars suck.

Again, feel bad for you, and hope the other driver's insurance comes through and the car can be repaired, but if the pic shows where the cars were sitting, I'm not terribly surprised you got clobbered.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah... the pic was as it went down. She walked out of a door on the passenger side, had to walk around my car to get to hers... tho she walked past her car for some reason and then got in it...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That pic is, I presume, a bit deceptive...

No white lines next to your car makes it look like you are parking where you shouldn't.

Also, the perspective makes it look like there isn't much room between your car and the other vehicles.

I'm not blaming you, just saying that the pic isn't one you want to hand over to the insurance company!

Good luck.

BTW, how did she NOT see your car when she hopped into her truck to leave??? Surely she saw this strange blue car behind her vehicle?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had something like this happen to me before in a different car (lowered 3000gt VR-4), and apparently, it's not uncommon for drivers to not turn their head when backing up, and just solely rely on mirrors, which work fine most of the time for most cars. However, trucks are not our friends...

I've done my fair share of waiting in parking lots, and if there is some one even remotely close to me trying to back up, I'm outta there. :shift:

Good luck with the repairs. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
They should make a dune buggy flag that's retractable for the Elise.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Too bad about the accident... But the door does not looks like it is lining up correctly.

It looks like the door hinge may be bent, and if that is the case that is not good news. :(

I know it is a bit late now, but never sit behind a vehicle trying to back up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First estimate without openining the door (prelim) was for $8,1XX.XX... They said it'd only go up from there. Now I'm dealing with the insurance co for liability... ARG!!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
First estimate without openining the door (prelim) was for $8,1XX.XX... They said it'd only go up from there. Now I'm dealing with the insurance co for liability... ARG!!!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's quite a bit more than 8k. Is the rocker panel damaged at all? It looks as if it may be. That's no small task to replace.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Just a heads up, I've heard of other mag blue owners having a hard time getting the new paint to match the old. Be sure to inspect it carefully when you pick it up from the body shop, look for too much/little purple.
Amen to that! I had my mag blue rear clam replaced (after accident) and the new paint is just a little off.

The paint job is excellent, better than factory, but it is a little short on the purple hue. Also, has more "flake" in it than OEM paint.

Truth be told, I like the new paint better than the original. :)

But do check carefully before signing off on it.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm worried how they are going to replace or repair this part. There is a crack through the fiberglass down inbetween the door and car. Isn't it part of the frame?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts