The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apologies in advance for referencing places most of you don't know or care about!

A few weeks ago I bought a 2010 lotus elise in Vancouver BC. I flew down and drove the car home to Dawson Creek - a distance of about 1200 km. The city traffic gave me a chance to get familiar with the car, but eventually I got onto the highway and used the higher gears. It was a nice fun drive for the first couple of hours, and I got to open the car up for short stretches when there was no sign of the po-lice. I was really looking forward to driving Route 8 between Merrit and Spences Bridge. It's a great road with some straight stretches, long sweeping corners and tight twisty bits. Nice pastoral scenery and mostly along the Nicola River.... and almost no traffic! But just as I drove down into the town of Merrit, a cop jumped out to the centre of the road, giving the 'slow down' sign. My heart jumped a bit, but I didn't think I was speeding. Copper pointed at me and waved me through. She then waved at a big Dodge pickup that was tailgating me and waved him over! A few more blocks of 50 km/h and then... SEE YA, SUCKERS! As I blasted down that great road in my awesome car. After that I still had a long, long , LONG way to go. I filled up in Clinton after just over 400 km. It was a decent drive up to William's Lake, with a few fun runs with other speedy drivers, but I really didn't press it - too paranoid of cops. I did have a few road scares: a big piece of 2x4 magically appeared, tumbling in the middle of my lane (had been run over by a car just ahead). I just avoided what could have been a very ugly incident. Also, two separate deer deciding to cross the road in front of me one suddenly, the other leisurely. I filled up again in Prince George, but by then it was late & dark. The last 400 km would have been a chance to make up some time (and have some fun through the Pine Pass) but I was beat and needed a nap part way through. As fun as the Elise is to drive, it is NOT fun to sleep in! My neck was very stiff after a couple hours of trying to nap. Wee hours of the morning by then, and again I was driving conservatively, paranoid of moose this time. The sun came up when I had about 150 km left to go... so I could step on it, but by now it was fairly dull straight roads. I got home just before 6 in the morning and went straight to bed. The next day I washed off 1200 km of bugs :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hmmm sleeping in an elise...im sure a bathtub would have been much better. Glad you had some bonding time with your ride!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Enjoyed the writeup, thanks!

I try to avoid night driving as much as possible. It is too easy to hit road debris.

I did hit a chunk of wood once and another time a rolling hubcap. Luckily there was no real damage. I was lucky.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I've been on those roads, way to much fun(Hwy 8) and the Moose in the North are the size of dump trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts