The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea how long we can expect replacement parts to be available?

I'm sure that many of us are thinking about keeping this car longer than 4 or 5 years. I could see keeping it 20 - 30 years.

What is Lotus' usual policy? What impact will the Toyota drivetrain have for parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lotus does *NOT* give any warranty on parts supply. Even after 4 years, some parts are no more available and have to be sourced from OEMs. Be afraid. Even IF parts are available, lead time can be up to over 1 year. So I can only encourage every local group to pile up spare parts themselves.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
If Lotus wishes to enter the American Market they better figure something out. Telling people to ferret away parts so they dont have to wait a year will cause riots here in the US.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
If Lotus wishes to enter the American Market they better figure something out. Telling people to ferret away parts so they dont have to wait a year will cause riots here in the US.
Jenn: Is this why you are buying two of them, one to drive and one for a parts car?:D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hell, unitil the late 90s. You could still get parts for the Europa/Elan at LCU!

Front body parts for the m100 are starting to get difficult to find, Citroen gearbox (pre-89-90 Esprits) and Renault gearboxes are starting to get difficult to get. All the body parts are still available.

Chris
89 days to go...............................

·
Registered
279 Posts
OneFastMiata said:

Lotus move to enter the American market can be a warranty for all of us that spare parts will be available for longer periods of time.

Since the 111R has a Toyota engine/gearbox, does anyone know what's Toyota's policy on that?

BR,

Theo

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Don't all car makers have to guaranty the availability of parts for a minimum of 10 years if they want to sell their car here?

It might be true for large scale automotive companies. But I really don't know what happens with the remaining niche market, Lotus being a part of it too...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
theob said:
It might be true for large scale automotive companies. But I really don't know what happens with the remaining niche market, Lotus being a part of it too...
I think it is a part of doing business for any cars wanting to be sold here.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400, manual
234 Posts
As a potential Evora buyer I'm wondering about the current thoughts from the forum on this. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
There is a Federal law that states automotive manufacturers must continue to supply parts a numbers of years after the car is no longer produced. I don’t remember how many years. Someone who is motivated can look it up.

Reactions: Midenginer

·
Administrator
4,444 Posts

·
Recent Lotus Convert
2020 Evora GT
44 Posts
Federal law is 6 years, I think.

I was told Lotus wants to establish a classic service to assist in maintaining older cars.

·
Administrator
4,444 Posts
What many are think of probably is the Magnuson-Moss Act which makes auto makers provide parts during the warranty period. There is no federal law as such to just provide parts for ten years. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

Reactions: Midenginer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, Noble M400 owner here.
We frequently have a similar discussion in our forums. Lee Noble quit the Noble business in 2007; Rossion held on for a few more years. Unlike those entities Lotus is held by a Chinese company with 18 billlion in sales last year that is using Lotuus as its prestige brand; witness the Evije(sp?) elestric hypercar.
We have some anxiety about parts availability
but, like Lotus , we have an engine sourced by a large manufacturer with millions of these powerplants on the road. We also have some 'parts bin' stuff such as Lotus headlights, Lotus windshield and Hyundai tailights and brakes sourced by a boutique manufacturer ( AP racing). Our front and rear clamshells are of concern but can be made by anyone with experience laying up fiberglass and carbon fiber; they would just need a mold to do it.The way the Noble is configured a busted front end of a Noble may be cheaper to repair than say a Mustang or Dodge Charger.Our cars are too rare and unique in their style and capabilities to abandon like a Dodge Reliant.
Electric cars are more of a threat; their widespread adoption would destroy our industrial base for powerplants and their accessories. Car enthusiasts piggyback on that base supported by all the drivers that only want a running car and, until now becuse of no electric alternative, don' t care about electric or ICE powerplant. Up until now they have relied on the industrial base for repair of their cars.
I love ICE cars for the sounds, history,continued ingenuity displayed by anyone modding a car and the workmanship under the hood. A fair number of enthusiasts buying in the $80K to $225K range only want the performance and deep down don't care about the aesthetics. If Tesla priced its new roadster for $130 K ( which it could and make money) it would destroy the whole segment most likely.
Having no market for gasoline out there is our biggest threat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts