The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a 30 year fan of the Esprit, I think I am ready to jump in to a good car that has been cared for and loved. S1-S3, my top choices would probably be S2 JPS black/gold colors (alomost bought 78 in 1990), or late model S3 (86-87 HCI), but open, almost bought 80 S2 in 88 or so too, PM me pictures and descriptions, just be honest with any issues!

thanks,

ncng

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
As a 30 year fan of the Esprit, I think I am ready to jump in to a good car that has been cared for and loved. S1-S3, my top choices would probably be S2 JPS black/gold colors (alomost bought 78 in 1990), or late model S3 (86-87 HCI), but open, almost bought 80 S2 in 88 or so too, PM me pictures and descriptions, just be honest with any issues!

thanks,

ncng
Nitpicking a bit, but for the sake of accuracy...

IF you're in the US, then getting an S3 is a very long shot. I don't know that they were actually brought into the US, and if any were, you can probably count them on the fingers of one hand.

Lots of people confuse the S3 with the Turbo Esprit. While largely the same car in looks and running gear, the S3's were not turbocharged. Again, not many, if any, of those in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

IF you're in the US, then getting an S3 is a very long shot. I don't know that they were actually brought into the US, and if any were, you can probably count them on the fingers of one hand.

Lots of people confuse the S3 with the Turbo Esprit. While largely the same car in looks and running gear, the S3's were not turbocharged. Again, not many, if any, of those in the U.S.
Ditto - an s3 would be a great car to find but if you did it might be right-hand drive! :huh:

From an overall reliability & performance standpoint, the '86 & '87 Turbo will easily be the top choice. I believe they are the best incarnations of the G-cars. Sure, I have one so my opinion doesnt count...but, ya know, experience does matter :)

Keep us posted as you shop. Try to see a lot of cars and get a feel of whats out there. DO be willing to pay top dollar for a top-condition car. Cars that get driven fairly regularly are best from what Ive seen. The fewer number of owners, the better too.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Turbo Esprit or SE

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for and '89 or later Turbo or an SE. The Turbo non-intercooled is a pretty rare - Delco injection but no chargecooler. I have one and I find it to be a very enjoyable Esprit. Accessible as far as working on the car, lovely looking, lots of cross-referenced GM parts. The SE is also very nice, not quite as rare, and has the advantage of more HP with the intercooler. I don't know much at all about the G cars though I think they are very lovely.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I'd suggest keeping an eye out for and '89 or later Turbo or an SE. The Turbo non-intercooled is a pretty rare - Delco injection but no chargecooler. I have one and I find it to be a very enjoyable Esprit. Accessible as far as working on the car, lovely looking, lots of cross-referenced GM parts. The SE is also very nice, not quite as rare, and has the advantage of more HP with the intercooler. I don't know much at all about the G cars though I think they are very lovely.
This one just hit AutoTrader. Is it the kind you recommended?

Cars for Sale: 1989 Lotus Esprit SE in Pine Brook, NJ 07058: Coupe Details - 325682994 - AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you're looking for a project car I have an 89 Turbo, non-intercooled unit I might part with. I'm the second owner and have had the car since 01/92. It's high mileage, (125K), needs paint and an interior but is mechanically sound. It needs work but is still my daily driver.
After 20+ years of ownership and two other Lotus cars to play with it's time to move on.
If you are interested I can go into details. Car is in Houston.

Al B.

email me directly as I might not see a reply here.
[email protected]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes, I was calling the Turbo Esprit an S3, and I do recall reading of the non turbo models.

So its S1 through 77 (kit only in US?), S2 is 78-82?, S2.2 (turbo Europe only)?
S3 83-87 non-turbo, S4 is 83-87?, I thought S4 was 88 body style change too? Confused!:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year is your car Tom?

Thanks,

ncng

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're looking for a project car I have an 89 Turbo, non-intercooled unit I might part with. I'm the second owner and have had the car since 01/92. It's high mileage, (125K), needs paint and an interior but is mechanically sound. It needs work but is still my daily driver.
After 20+ years of ownership and two other Lotus cars to play with it's time to move on.
If you are interested I can go into details. Car is in Houston.

Al B.

email me directly as I might not see a reply here.
[email protected]
Al, thank you, I am still looking for something earlier. ncng

·
Registered
320 Posts
Whilst the earlier S1/S2/S2.2 Esprits are obviously knockouts in the looks dept, by todays standards they are not all that quick.

Thats why I went for a Turbo Esprit, whilst its still not the worlds fastest ride at least it can keep up with the traffic.

Always drive before you buy to avoid dissapointment.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Whilst the earlier S1/S2/S2.2 Esprits are obviously knockouts in the looks dept, by todays standards they are not all that quick.

Thats why I went for a Turbo Esprit, whilst its still not the worlds fastest ride at least it can keep up with the traffic.

Always drive before you buy to avoid dissapointment.
Agreed on the s1 and s2 - Great cars and pure looking but they just dont(and never really did)have the proper oomph for such a wild looking car. They are harder to find in good condition and are tougher to keep running than a later-model G car. By all means if you find a good one and like it, get it. Otherwise, the injected G-car turbos give you the classic Esprit look with *some* modernization, better overall quality, and much better performance.

And yes - drive a lot before you buy! These cars dont hide problems well at all so a good, thorough test drive is a huge part of the buying process.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
...WHY takes you a long 30 years?
I can't speak for ncng, but I took 32 years (bought my 88 last year 2011) before buying one. The short answer was I couldn't afford it when I was younger - neither time nor money. Every time I considered buying an Esprit, the reality of the money and time necessary to keep it on the road (daily driver - not a weekend car) never added up.

Now that I'm older, my financial situation allows me to buy an older car (and spend the money keeping it running via a good mechanic).

But for those 30+ years, I was always pining away for one - even went to the Lotus factory tour in 1990 to see them being built.

It's been nearly 1 year of ownership (9 months of driving) - I did the correct thing by waiting - the cost of keeping an 24 year old car as a daily driver is definitely something I couldn't do earlier.

Back on track - sounds like you prefer the G Esprit - definitely recommend buying the best condition 86 or 87 Esprit you can afford. There is little cost advantage to restoring a worn Esprit vs. buying a better condition example. Do the math - you'll see that it a true statement for any older car, Lotus or not.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well I wanted an Esprit when I was 16, but in the real world I had to turn 46 to be able to afford one :lol:

I guess my parents were not rich enough to buy me one back in the day.:confused:

My marriage , mortgage and kids all conspired against an earlier purchase.:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts