The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just thought i’d introduce myself. I’m obsessed with lightweight vehicles and have always been a fan of the Lotus Elise/Exige.

I’m considering an Elias, I’ve got a few cars currently:

2017 RS3: this is my daily driver and with 560whp on 93 and ~700whp on e85 it’s an absolute riot but it’s definitely one of the heaviest car in the fleet at ~3500lbs

2012 R8 V10 6 speed: this is picked up last year and is currently having the engine rebuilt (long story) but is staying NA, I also just rebuilt the transmission with a wavetrac differential and plan on converting to RWD when i put the engine back in next month. This is mostly a cars and coffee/cruise car, should be about 3300lbs in RWD form with the weight reduction already done.

2010 M3 E92: I bought this prior to the R8 but after the RS3, I was really missing a manual transmission and I’ve always really liked these cars and loved how they sound. This V8 with ITB’s is just magical. I’ve done some modest weight reduction without ruining the car, and I’d probably guess it’s around 3350. I’ve tracked this car once and as much as I love it, it’s hard to ignore the mass and weight of the vehicle. It’s an incredibly versatile vehicle and if I had to pick only one car to satisfy multiple needs this would be it. At this point in my life i’m fortunate to have many cars and i’m not sure if i’ll keep this when the R8 is running again.

This brings me to the track toy, I currently have a 2013 BRZ, mildly gutted that was turbocharged before naturally spinning a bearing as these motors are absolute garbage. I have a KPower swap kit on order and a K24 with a built head and cams ready to drop in to replace the boat anchor FA20, should make about 260whp on 93, with a 4.5 final drive and weighing about 2500lbs this would be a pretty fun track car.

This brings me to my first world problem, im considering ditching this BRZ (or just parking it for some future project) and instead picking up an Elise.

Unfortunately i’ve never driven one, only got to sit in a few, but for a car that’s intended to be driven to/from the track and be as light as possible it’s hard to imagine a better car. I also helps that I love a targa/open top :)

The only pros I can think of with the brz in for this scenario are:

1.) much cheaper to maintain mechanically and just about everything else, including the car.

2.) front midship layout with the K and a slightly longer wheelbase makes for a well balanced and far easier car to control on the edge.

With all of that said, im still strongly considering an Elise and hence why i’ve joined this forum, though I can’t seem to engage in any for sale posts yet which is a bit frustrating.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Welcome to LT! You might want to check out the Regions Forum for your location and see if there are any Lotus clubs in that area and see if you can get a ride or if lucky a drive. Also check C&C and FB for Lotus owners near you. When I was scoping out if I fit in an Elise I went to a C&C where there were several Elises. I got to talking with owners and was thrown a set of keys and told to enjoy myself. I insisted the owner come but that sealed the deal in my mind. I had already researched Elises heavily and within month after joining LT I placed a WTB for the exact modded setup I was looking for.

Once you've been a member three days and have ten posts you'll be able to send/receive PM and enter the Marketplace. GLWS!

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Ten posts or replies. In addition to LT check BaT, Autotempest and Wirewheel

Reactions: statik

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
haven’t heard of Wirewheel, i’ll check that out thanks!
Very trusted dealer in Fl of Lotus and other race cars.

Reactions: 6TVRs+

·
Registered
655 Posts
You could consider my car:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m interested but can’t PM or reply to any marketplace threads for another day :)

I’ve seen a few cars in the mid 40’s now, my sense is generally the market is still too high and I probably need to wait a bit before purchasing.

You could consider my car:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i don’t disagree with that, but its certainly “softening” from the peak covid prices, and will only get worse if we experience a more significant regression.

to be clear, i don’t blame anyone for trying to get more money for their cars, im just not a panic buyer. the same situation happened with gated R8’s, they were dirt cheap for years, then sky rocketed, are now falling to more reasonable pricing but still a bit high IMO

I think all buyers long for the prices that were in place 4 years ago. The number of Elises only gets smaller, never larger.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have an E82 with a drivetrain swap from an E9x M3. The cost to run the elise is far lower and the fun factor is significantly higher. The bmw is much easier to drive ham fisted and makes a far superior noise.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a proper E82! I was considering that swap as well for awhile, I bet its a blast. I'm thankful I have the BRZ as it made me realize just how much I love smaller/lighter cars, getting out of the RS3 or M3 and into the BRZ feels like I was just driving a boat.

I have an E82 with a drivetrain swap from an E9x M3. The cost to run the elise is far lower and the fun factor is significantly higher. The bmw is much easier to drive ham fisted and makes a far superior noise.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts