The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
and its an 89 ( I believe based on the exhaust exit, at best its an 88) rotfl

1987 LOTUS ESPRIT S3 Turbo
He may have gotten confused with the car having an 87 build date.

BUT as we know the S3 Esprit was a normally aspirated G bodied car, not a Stevens, not a Turbo (Stevens or G body).

I wonder where he's getting the 'long wheelbase' thing from.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
and its an 89 ( I believe based on the exhaust exit, at best its an 88) rotfl

1987 LOTUS ESPRIT S3 Turbo
My 88 has the distinct dished rear wheels so I'm placing my bet it's an 89 (Renault transmission) and that left hand exhaust was supposedly UK, not USA?

Between the 87 and S3 errors, I think I would be checking this out just a *little* more closely if I were interested in buying :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I wonder if it's an '88 with wheel spacers and '89 wheels? Either way, a little off on the description.
Maybe he meant "Wide Wheel Base"

BWAHAHAHAHA! I crack me up sometimes!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 88 has the distinct dished rear wheels so I'm placing my bet it's an 89 (Renault transmission) and that left hand exhaust was supposedly UK, not USA?

Between the 87 and S3 errors, I think I would be checking this out just a *little* more closely if I were interested in buying :rolleyes:
I believe that for the U.S market the single left hand exit was only on the 89 non-SE and the X180-R. So as this car has both the flat OZ's and the LH exit exhaust my money is on an 89, not an 87 long wheelbase.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Its an 89 non SE just like mine, unfortunately though, mine isn't the long wheel base model :facepalm

·
Registered
576 Posts
The 88 Stevens redesigned cars started building in late '87. As has been mentioned the rear valance is incorrect for that year, and it is hard to tell from the pics whether they are the deep dish wheels.

So based on his ad he may have papers from '87, but they are either for a different car or this car has had mods along the way, which is not unusual to see especially in California.

In either case the price is a little tall.

Randy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Yep, mine was modified by the PO, so sometimes I have trouble remembering what the normal exit is for an 89SE, but then I picture how the right side on mine is cut after the fact for the opening, rather than molded that way from the factory. Not too noticeable, unless you get very close.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
The 88 Stevens redesigned cars started building in late '87. As has been mentioned the rear valance is incorrect for that year, and it is hard to tell from the pics whether they are the deep dish wheels.
[snip]

In either case the price is a little tall.

Randy
Definitely tall price. But it is remotely possible it's an 88 with spacers. The wheels look flat when compared directly:

The '87' from the ad:

my 88 Citroen with the dish:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,107 Posts
I COULD point out that Esprits without rear wings ALWAYS look longer and sleeker. :D

But, I won't. rotfl

I'll just mention that only 1988 North American cars had the Citroen transaxle. ROW (rest of world) got the Renault tranny (as did all Esprits 89 onward). And, a left exit exhaust (for a model year or two).

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Those are definitely not the deep concave wheels of an '88. Judging by the depth of the wheel lip and the profile of the tire I'd say that most likely the car was upgraded to the 16" SE wheels on the rear. Definitely looks more like a 245/50R/16 than a 235/60R/15 to me.

Also the car has the newer '89 up side view mirrors, although these too could have been updated at some point in the car's life. Not likely though.

My guess is that the car is an '89 non-SE

Lastly, have to say that these early non-SE Stevens models always look longer and sleeker with a S4s/early V8 wing since it extends pass the body line (before federal regulations caught up with the later wings)...right, Atwell? :D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Forgot to mention that it has the later style rear valance as well. Most '88 Esprits had a different, less open and more tucked-in rear valance, except for the '88 Commemorative which came with the same rear valance as seen on later '89 and up Esprits until the change in '94.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,107 Posts
Lastly, have to say that these early non-SE Stevens models always look longer and sleeker with a S4s/early V8 wing since it extends pass the body line (before federal regulations caught up with the later wings)...right, Atwell? :D
Roy thinks I'm an expert on Wings, just 'cause there is an Esprit Wing picture folder on TurboEsprit, dedicated just to me.

:no:

rotfl

·
Registered
913 Posts
I never noticed how deep the dish is on the 88 rear wheels unitl I was getting gas one day and a guy with a Honda tuner pointed them out and asked me if the car has "offset" wheels. I said, ah I guess LOL. Now I notice it often especially when walking up to the car from the rear, it appears like the tires are wider than they are because of the wheels. However if you study it for awhile they start to appear very eighties, big tires in the rear, small in front.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts