The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you looking for the longest lasting wax/polish, who don't enjoy waxing their car every month, but would rather be driving, I suggest you use a product called NuFinish. It does not leave the highest shine, but it does last longer than most other waxes, and the shine is still pretty good.
Cheers

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
NuFinish has a fairly significant amount of chemical and abrasive cleaners in it, just to let you know. That's why it has a strong solvent smell. Good luck, just don't count on it lasting that long (52 weeks). Whatever the product, you may want to reapply a bit more often than that.

I would hesitate to call it the longest lasting product, but few have the time to really find out, except for perhaps [email protected] Reports.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You realize car polish is like religion, right? Strong feelings, insults, jihad, the whole works...

Me, I'm very impressed with Zaino longevity. I think the last coat went on in May and it still has a significant presence. Not the "deepest" shine, but very effective at releasing dirt.

Of course, nobody would let their Elise go that long without polish, but as a test, you se...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I really enjoy washing, waxing and detailing my Elise.......so, I use P21S. It takes less time to wax than it does to wash.

Besides.....it goes faster after a good wax job, so I wax it often. :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok, so for all of you who disagree, what is the longest lasting wax? I'm not big on detailing and don't plan on waxing very often, so what is the longest lasting/lowest maintenance wax available?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use Zaino Z1, then Z2.. followed up with a coat of P21S.

If you want a quicker solution use Klasse AIO.. followed up with a coat of P21S.

Or Z5 followed with P21S.

If you can't tell... I like P21S.

NuFinish sucks.....and don't EVER touch any trim with it... or you'll have white on it FOREVER.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
kenp said:
Built to be driven, not polished!
Gives you something to do while you're waiting for the tow truck.

On a serious note -

Ditto on the Zaino / Klasse. They are synthetic waxes and last longer, some say up to 6 months. It would depend on your environment, lots of sun or snow/salt will decrease life. Natural waxes, like P21S, will only last a month or two. Some people feel that the Synthetic waxes don't shine up well and put a natural wax on top of it to make it reallly really purdy. I'm one of them.

Polishes contain an agregate to remove a small amount of paint in order to help shine it up. Not all polishes contain wax so if you do use a polish on your car make sure it has wax in it or follow up with a wax. Most waxes have a least a small amount though a few contain none.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I use Maguires (sp?). It seems to be decent. I've only done it twice in 4 months, and she shines still.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
pianomaniac said:
I really enjoy washing, waxing and detailing my Elise.......so, I use P21S. It takes less time to wax than it does to wash.

Besides.....it goes faster after a good wax job, so I wax it often. :D
Do you make house calls??

I'm doing well if I wash my car every few weeks. I won't mention the last time that I waxed my Miata, as you will kick me out of the car club.

Perhaps having a new car will change my habits. And I did buy a kit from DP so I suppose I have to use it (I guess it's time to open that box that's been sitting in my room for a few months now and see what I got).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Oh no :eek: The dreaded "my wax is better than your wax" thread.
To think it has now come to this.....stay away, stay away
:p

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been using Blitz Wax for the past two years on a Mercedes that sees all types of New England weather. It's easy to use, goes on and off quickly, and leaves a great carnuba shine. As far as longetivity, I'd say I'm getting 3-6 months on one coat. Do it twice and it lasts longer.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't have strong feelings about brand loyalty especially when it comes to wax and polish. The only thing I'm certain of is that if you drive a BMW you MUST use Zymol. :rolleyes: Especially since they formulate their wax for specifically for X5s and such. Check out this link and see if you detect any overpriced snake oil: http://www.zymol.com/

My approach is to pick a quality product and stick with it. Personally I use Meguiar's polishing products applied with a Porter-Cable buffer to get a scratch-free finish, and then use Zaino for the long-lasting top coat.

John

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Speaking of Zymol, has anyone here had a good experience? A (BMW) friend of mine who is sold on the stuff gave me some to try, and the best thing that I can say is that my daughter thought that the pre-cleaner made the garage smell like chocolate.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
offroadr35 said:

Ah, but if rejex is a slippery as people say, then P21S wouldn't stick to it. Then there would be no deep gloss shine, which would upset many obsessive people here.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use cheap Zymol ("Turtle Wax" Zymol.) The only drawback is there is a bit of white residue if you don't clean it all up.

It finished 2nd to Zaino in shine and longevity tests in the NSX club tests http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html . It spanked the expensive "real" Zymol.

Of course Zaino was #1, but I personally haven't used it yet - can't yet bring myself to go with a synthetic (old fashioned.) If a paint repair is needed, how do you get Zaino off?

DLY

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
A paint shop would be able to prep the surface pretty easily using alcohol or something the like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts