The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. As my search for a used Elise continues I had a concern. One of the design features I admire most about the Elise/Exige is the bonded and riveted chassis. As a mechanical engineer I appreciate innovative methods of construction, but as I plan on keeping my Elise until I die (hopefully a very long time from now) I can't help but wonder how long that bonding agent will last.

Will we all be re-bonding our cars in 20 years? Will there be a business for chassis jigs and glue? I see old Lotus' with wood components which rot and that would be minor in comparison. I know the bonding agent is an epoxy with hard rubber-like qualities and obviously it has held up for 15 years on the S1's so it's possible it will outlast our generation, but I can't imagine it will last forever.

I tried searching for this topic, but search is broken on my Android device (search box disappears) so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The technique of bonding and rivets came from the aviation industry, where the consequences of bonding failure is extreme. The technique already had a substantial track record before it was incorporated into Lotus cars. Bonding and riveting on my 05 chassis will probably still be in good shape for my grandchildren to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
....or a red panda will ruthlessly trash the interior.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Hello all. As my search for a used Elise continues I had a concern. One of the design features I admire most about the Elise/Exige is the bonded and riveted chassis. As a mechanical engineer I appreciate innovative methods of construction, but as I plan on keeping my Elise until I die (hopefully a very long time from now) I can't help but wonder how long that bonding agent will last.

Will we all be re-bonding our cars in 20 years? Will there be a business for chassis jigs and glue? I see old Lotus' with wood components which rot and that would be minor in comparison. I know the bonding agent is an epoxy with hard rubber-like qualities and obviously it has held up for 15 years on the S1's so it's possible it will outlast our generation, but I can't imagine it will last forever.

I tried searching for this topic, but search is broken on my Android device (search box disappears) so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here.

That's why I carry a JB-Weld kit under the driver's seat just in case.... ;)

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Not sure how many years the glue is good for, but I heard that if your glue turns orange in color then its expired and needs to be reglued :UK:

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I see old Lotus' with wood components which rot and that would be minor in comparison.
Which wood components in Lotus cars rotting are you referring to? As far as I know, Lotus' use of wood in most all, if not all of its cars has been limited to dashboards, shift knobs, steering wheels and some interior trim pieces.

Morgan has a history of using wood as a structural component, as does Marcos. But I'm not aware of any modern Lotus car using wood like that.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Europa dashboard was wood.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
just replace w/ pressure treated...:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
The company I work for is heavily involved in the installation equipment that does these chassis and body panels.
This technology has been in use since 2000 in auto production and is widely used by Audi, Jaguar, Porsche, Ferrari, VW, Lamborghini, Ford, GM, Acura, Tesla, BMW, Porsche, Lotus, and Freightliner, Daimler, Scania etc.

You are ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts