The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mp62 on my vf2 powered Elise has seen about ~20 miles over a ~3 year period, with about 25 track days. It seems to be getter louder. The gears or whatever they're called (lobes?) sound more pronounced, like more effort is required to turn them.
Do these supercharger's have a service schedule? Does the oil need changing? I have heard it does not, but new oil is obviously better than old.
Do any vf2 guys or anyone with a mp62 have advice on this subject?

Maybe I'm just not driving it enough and my tolerance has diminished somewhat....like when you finish college and try to drink like you used to back then and totally fail.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I put like 30K miles on mine, but it was light useage. No problems I could tell.

But I'm sure guys like the Chevy Cobalt SS guys have abused them, as well as the countless Miata and Honda Jackson Racing kits that would sold over the years. So I think the MP62 as a seperate unit is considered durable.

If you want quite get a TVS :) :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I know the PO of my car had the mp62 rebuilt right before I purchased the car from him, I don't know what specific issue occured with it though. I assume it was probably not making the same amount of boost.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
MP62 service interval is 50k miles, same as the TVS. It is disassembled, the internal bearings are greased, the oil in the nose cone is replaced. The coupler is examined for wear, and replaced (which is likely at 50k miles) if needed. Some have failed as early as 8k miles with the normal sized pully. Smaller pulleys can accelerate aging and wear of the supercharger. A clacking noise above 2k RPMs is a sign of significant problems (internal bearing failure), and the rotating impellers are likely making contact with each other and the case. I have heard this sound on two MP62 superchargers. One at 8k miles, the other at 50k miles. Eaton/Magnuson do not continuously produce the MP62. If you have a major failure, and it happens at the worst part of the production cycle, you may have a 3 month wait for more parts to be produced. The manufacturer does *not* maintain a year-around stock of parts for repair.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's goods news.
Thank you sir. From what you said, I think pulley size and driving
style are better indicators of longevity rather
than miles driven.

It is probably a better idea to replace it with the TVS when the mp62 fails.
With a vf2, it is a bolt on transition and the TVS probably isn't too much more expensive than a mp62 rebuild a ghastly 3 month wait time.

-Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts