The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Dallas/Fort Worth market area. My interests really like in the Exige S (but a motivating factor is to see the Lexus gone that was my ex-wife's vehicle -- tired of looking at it).

Curious about the opinions of the other forum members that have comparables to this or know the Lotus market. I have been looking at a new purchase for the past 9 months and have decided that I want a Lotus, which is why I am on this forum now.

To me, the price of this vehicle is on par with KBB. The only red-flag-item for me is the soft-top convertible -- hugely unappealing. With that said, what is the cost to purchase a hard-top and use a hard-top with this Elise? I will assmeme (that is assuming -- only with the ass being made out of me and not 'u') that a hard-top is a direct bolt-on replacement for the soft-top. Is that a correct statement?

The price is very attractive for sure. I can afford an Exige S and could comfortably spending $55-60k on the vehicle. However, I would prefer to be somewhat practical and save some coin. Plus I also want to engine swap a K24 at some point in time.

Details of Elise:
Year: 2006
Miles: 59,000
Price: $27,000

Dealer description:

The 2006 Elise is a 2-door, 2-passenger convertible sports car, available in one trim only, the Convertible. The 2006 Elise's closest competitors include the Audi A4, the BMW 3 Series Convertible, and the Volvo C70. Upon introduction, the Elise is equipped with a standard 1.8-liter, I4, 190-horsepower engine that achieves 24-mpg in the city and 29-mpg on the highway. A 6-speed manual transmission with overdrive is standard. 1,796 cc 1.8 liters in-line 4 mid engine with 82 mm bore, 85 mm stroke, 11.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder 2ZZ-GE Unleaded fuel 91 Fuel consumption: EPA urban (mpg): 22, country/highway (mpg): 29 and combined (mpg): 25 Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 29 and EPA city (mpg): 22 Multi-point injection fuel system 10.6 gallon main unleaded fuel tank Power: 141 kW , 190 HP SAE @ 7,800 rpm; 138 ft lb , 181 Nm @ 6,800 rpm Four-wheel ABS Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs Immobilizer Wishbone front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs , wishbone rear suspension independent with coil springs Tire kit Body color front and rear bumpers Fixed hoop convertible rollover protection Manual softtop convertible roof with glass rear window Driver and passenger externally adjustable body color door mirrors External dimensions: overall length (inches): 149, overall width (inches): 67.7, overall height (inches): 45, wheelbase (inches): 90.6, front track (inches): 57.4 and rear track (inches): 59.2 Projector beam lens halogen bulb headlights Heat reflective glass Luxury trim alloy on gearknob and alloy on dashboard Gloss paint Fixed rear window Tinted glass on cabin Weights: curb weight (lbs) 1,984 Windshield wipers with fixed intermittent wipe

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, a hard top is a direct bolt on replacement. Used one will cost you maybe $1200 + painting to match unless you get lucky. New they are about $2200, I believe.

The price on this one seems ambitious given the mileage. If you check the classifieds here you will see many cars with much less mileage, and wear and tear, than the one you are looking at, especially given it's an '06.

Of course if you really are thinking of an engine swap, then you'll be re-doing the whole car mechanically, so mileage shouldn't matter. Big job, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course if you really are thinking of an engine swap, then you'll be re-doing the whole car mechanically, so mileage shouldn't matter. Big job, though.
This is my second vehicle, in addition to the bikes I have, so there is no problem putting this under the knife for a month or three to swap the motor. (Well, if it takes me a month, I should not be doing it myself because I would apparently not know what I am doing then. It will take a little time though, and will borrow a mechanic buddy as well).

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you are willing to spend 3 to 6k more you could get a very low miles car. like under 20k
(and quite possibly with an included hardtop)

That being said, in my personal experience it's not easy to find a good car locally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are willing to spend 3 to 6k more you could get a very low miles car. like under 20k
(and quite possibly with an included hardtop)

That being said, in my personal experience it's not easy to find a good car locally.
That my be the route I take. I would just like to trade the Lexus instead of selling it, but that may be the best way to go. I just decided on the Lotus Monday, so the search is still new. It's either an inexpensive Elise with a planned motor swap or an Exige S. The Exisge sounds like the easiest way to go though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A lot of the elises' that I was looking at came with a hardtop. If it didn't come with one, consider adding $1200 to the selling price.

If you like the exige, try to buy that instead. You may regret buying the elise once it's all said and done. the styling differences on the exige are worthwhile if you're into that look. I prefer the elise because I like the back window and lines of the elise's rear and no wing.

Wait and search on here in the classifieds. Once in awhile I'll see an exige in the high $30's low 40's in good shape

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
The one thing I have learned, the hard way, is that if you settle on something you will never quite enjoy what you settled for. My advise is to pick up an Exige now instead of an Elise and enjoy it for aslong as you own it. You have an obvious distaste for a soft top. Leave the Elise for those of us who fully enjoy taking the top off and driving in heaven. Pick up an Exige and be happy with what your heart desires. Never go through life feeling that you have settled for something less than you wanted. Enjoy life to the fullest with no regrets! Rant over.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
The only red-flag-item for me is the soft-top convertible -- hugely unappealing.
Yea, you might be better getting an Exige.....driving with the top off IS the Elise.

I agree with having a back window too, these cars sit so low you need as much field of vision that you can get.
i.e. Micro mirror, deleted sunshades, Multivex for side mirrors and eyes all around your head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not only did this one have high miles -- starting life as a rental car in Florida, "upgraded" stereo with poorly chosen components and miscellaneous scratches -- I will wait for a better one (or something that requires work, but super dirt cheap).

Thanks for all the advice. I actually did not pick up on the fact that the Exige has no rear visibility until it was mentioned here. I am actually starting to like the Elise more. I had a targa-top'd Supra (1994) and I loved cruising around without the top (question about this following). I also had a Z06 and I really wished the roof would come off sometimes. With that said, the Elise with a removable hardtop does sound nice. I just want something more insulating than the cloth top in the middle of the Texas summer.

Speaking of driving without the targa top installed, does the Elise suffer from any degraded frame rigidity? That was a huge problem with the Supra. It was fine if you avoid driving the car like you stole it...but who wants to do that?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Not only did this one have high miles -- starting life as a rental car in Florida, "upgraded" stereo with poorly chosen components and miscellaneous scratches -- I will wait for a better one (or something that requires work, but super dirt cheap).

Thanks for all the advice. I actually did not pick up on the fact that the Exige has no rear visibility until it was mentioned here. I am actually starting to like the Elise more. I had a targa-top'd Supra (1994) and I loved cruising around without the top (question about this following). I also had a Z06 and I really wished the roof would come off sometimes. With that said, the Elise with a removable hardtop does sound nice. I just want something more insulating than the cloth top in the middle of the Texas summer.

Speaking of driving without the targa top installed, does the Elise suffer from any degraded frame rigidity? That was a huge problem with the Supra. It was fine if you avoid driving the car like you stole it...but who wants to do that?
No. The chassis is one of the stiffest on the market. The windshield frame is just a fiberglass windshield support. Under the rear buttress is a roll over structure. The entire structural rigidity of the Elise is below window level.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Agreed, the only way you will twist an Elise/Exige frame is with the help of another driver on a cell phone. Keep in mind the engine and transmission are both in the back, so only the last couple feet of the car must overcome the torsion from the engine (unlike front engined rear wheel drive cars). Even souped-up Elises do not exhibit twist.

·
Registered
173 Posts

drove an hour and half in 95 degrees in FL the other day on a fun drive, moving the whole time. Sun was out fully. Had the hard top on an A/C on. It was comfortable. Not ice cold comfty, but tolerable. i had fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drove an hour and half in 95 degrees in FL the other day on a fun drive, moving the whole time. Sun was out fully. Had the hard top on an A/C on. It was comfortable. Not ice cold comfty, but tolerable. i had fun
I guarantee that is more comfortable than my sport bike in full leathers. The ride to work at 5:30 AM is really nice, the ride home around 3:00 is brutal.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I just want something more insulating than the cloth top in the middle of the Texas summer.
You are correct that the base-model Elise comes with a simple cloth top. The Touring option gives you a soft top with some insulation. The problem for heat is that all the cloth tops are (yuck) black. The solar gain is not your friend in Texas. A white, yellow, or light blue Elise with a hard top would be your best bet on that score. I don't know if there are aftermarket soft tops in colors.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
27K. Try 22K tops!! After Memorial Day, the season for these is over also from a seller's standpoint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OP.
Don't do it.
I was looking at that car too.

The first ~6k miles were spent as a RENTAL car.
Do you think they broke the engine in correctly?

Spend the same amount on an '05 with half the miles and a better color.

*edit* Whoops, didn't read the entire thread. Looks like we're on the same page already :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts