The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm looking at buying an exige in Australia but there are a few things I want to know first.

What is the difference between the 2004/2005 model compared to the 2006/2007/2008 model besides the supercharger

Where is the best places to get parts from (oem and aftermarket)

What are the first things I should get done (ie. baffled oil sump, better oil pump)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Hi
I'm looking at buying an exige in Australia but there are a few things I want to know first.

What is the difference between the 2004/2005 model compared to the 2006/2007/2008 model besides the supercharger

Where is the best places to get parts from (oem and aftermarket)

What are the first things I should get done (ie. baffled oil sump, better oil pump)

Thanks in advance
In the U.S. we didn't get the 2004/2005 Exige, so only a handful of people on this board who are not in the American market can speak to them.

We got the Exige in 06. It was normally aspirated only that year. N/A went away in 07, with the S220 Exige. In 08 all Exiges except the Club Racer were S240, with the CR still an S220. In 09 the S260 Exige came online.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
The 2004/05 S has a 118bhp Rover engine, no ABS, no airbag.

The 2006/07/08 S has a 134bhp Toyota engine, ABS, airbags.

So in a nutshell - truckloads :)

Upgrade route for the 04/05 S is to replace the Rover engine with a Honda K20 (220bhp NA or 300bhp supercharged) at a cost of ~$20k. Upgrading the Rover engine is limited to ~180bhp if reliability is to be maintained.

Upgrade route for the Toyota engined variant is difficult and expensive as most tuning shops have focused on the 111R which has a different engine.

Loads more anorak stuff here Elise model history - TechWiki :)

PS: where in Australia are you (I'm in Perth)?

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
:wallbang: reading fail...

You are right - all Exiges have the 2ZZ-GE.

The only difference between the 04/05 cars and the 06-08 ones (other than the supercharger) is the dash and the inclusion of airbags.

The aftermarket performance options are all supercharger variants, Simply Sports Cars - All Things Lotus :- Lotus is the place in Australia (Sydney) else look at BOE Fabrication in the US.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Was talking to a friend who has just bought an Exige and there are three other point I missed:
Brakes - the 04/05 cars had extruded aluminium brake and clutch pedals like the earlier Elises but the brake feel was apparently not ideal and heal and toe is not easy. The 2006 and onwards cars have better brake feel... but pressed steel pedals (not as pretty).
DBW - 04/05 are cable, 06+ are DBW
Tail lights - 04/05 have incandescent bulbs, 06+ have LEDs

None of these are earth shattering and condition really is paramount when deciding on a specific car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts