The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I came across this on eBay...
Lotus : Elise:eBay Motors (item 280357598770 end time Jun-19-09 09:39:31 PDT)

First of all how much do you guys suspect it would cost to get this thing looking like new again? In the description it says " I SEE NO REASON WHY YOU COULD NOT DRIVE IT HOME" do you guys' think it is really driveable as a DD like that? I'd be able to get the car, but I'd also need to drive it as a DD and slowly fix the problems (I dont have all the $$ at once to fix it all at once..) How much do you guys' think it would cost to fix it MINUS the rim/tire problem(s)? I can deal with some scratches in the rims since they aren't noticable unless the car is at a dead stop, and even then most people dont inspect your rims for dings :p
What are your thoughts on this car?! Am I going to run into a bunch of engine problems etc. down the road with it?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
caveat emptor........let the buyer beware.
if you need to ask, it's not in your league.
save your pennies, hock your watch and borrow to get a decent, running, car that you CAN drive home, or any place else.
these are not your nephew's honda.
you probably will rue the day you bought it and even more the day you try to sell it.
cheap ain't cheap.
good luck, sam

·
Registered
179 Posts
PASS ! If it was worth fixing and driving, the body shop that has it would finish it and then sell it so that tells me its not worth it. Also someone else already started to repair it and then realized their mistake and bailed. Theres better deals out there than this one.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Don't do it....

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
If you paid someone else to repair it, you'd be looking at around $20k (or more, depends on what damage lies hidden beneath). At the current bid of $10k, it's not worth it. If you were willing and able to do fiberglass repair work yourself you could reduce the cost a lot, but it'll take a lot of work.

EDIT - on second thought, if the front clamshell has been repaired decently, might only be in the $10-15k range. Still, for that price you could get an Elise that's already fixed.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Heck that's at least $12K to $15K in parts alone.

xtn

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely staying away then... I honestly have no idea on what the damage costs on these cars are... I thought it would be around 7K tops. If it would cost me 30K to get this car running right then I could just buy a very good condition Elise for that price. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
You could get it back up to spec for 7k, no problem, if you did the work yourself and bought used parts as necessary. Of course, you would have to be competent at fibreglass repair, painting, as well as everything else mechanical. Oh, and you'd have to hope that there is no frame damage.

Definitely not a car to buy unless one knew the frame was straight. At $10k, this is not a "steal" by any stretch of the imagination. Plus it already has 10k miles...

I am relatively local and emailed him within an hour of when the auction started to see if he would short sell. He was looking for $15k....

Plus, the ad is in all caps.... how can you trust it?:crazyeyes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts