·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking. Just the carbon fiber alone he has 5 - 6000 wrapped up in it. Thepnly thing that was concerning to me was the small cracks to the front clam due to it sliding on the lift. But they are hidden by the license plate and not really noticeable let alone talked to a repair shop and he thinks he can fix it to where as if it never existed. But then again it could make it worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely does have a lot of aftermarkets that make the price reasonable. I just wanted to get thoughts on it.

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,644 Posts
Definitely does have a lot of aftermarkets that make the price reasonable. I just wanted to get thoughts on it.
Some of the parts are decent, others are just so-so. Given the mileage it's nothing special IMHO. I notice it has the optional "2.2 Liter" motor, NOT! Seller is clearly clueless. I'd suggest a very thorough inspection by an expert, not Intermecanica, who I've never heard of.

San

·
6,644 Posts
This isn't a "no brainer".

Don't get distracted by the carbon fiber. The question you have to ask is why is this car priced at $35K?

The mileage is slightly high for these cars. It wouldn't scare me, but it is a factor in the value.

Obviously there are a lot of carbon fiber bits, mostly in the interior. I for one wouldn't want to be driving it when the sun reflects off of the dash panel. I'm not a fan of the APR rear splitter, but that's just me.

The Alitech shifter is the best part of the car IMHO. These were ~$2500 when they were available and a local Elise member here has one. Provided it was installed correctly (hopefully with better cables) this takes care of the sloppy stock shifting.

IMHO the biggest issue is the SC. It's aftermarket, so depending on where you're at you'll have "challenges" come inspection/emissions time. The support for that kit is slim to none and "Slim" is usually out of town. Do a search here and you'll find people who need help with the tune or replacement parts and neither are plentiful. I think even BOE have decided they don't want to have to diagnose these setups anymore, but I could be mistaken.

I would say there's easily $10K in modifications, which begs the question, why is it for sale for $35K? Again, I would pony up for a very extensive inspection by someone who knows what they're doing before you consider purchasing this vehicle.

San

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was me actually at the time I put the eBay 500 down payment down and was going to fly out and look car and hire someone to come and inspect it. Then a local one popped up that I liked and had 32k miles on it. So I bought it. Then my sister said I want one. So I'm going to let her buy the one I just got. And now I'm back looking at that one. Yes the carbon fiber is a lot of bling but the 35k is what is getting me as well. Plus the cracks on the front clam behind the license plate from it sliding on the car lift. I just don't know. The guy has been pretty straight up on any imperfections, mods and so forth. Definitely sounds like I'm going to have to hire someone to meet me out there and inspect it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The mileage is definitely something that is concerning as it did say it was lower in the last listing so my question is did he really drive 2k miles in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I would say a great price if everything is in proper working order. As San mentioned, the SC kit would be a big question mark even if in good working condition as support for the kit is very limited. Be sure you can find a shop near you for any issues that may arise.

The second in question to me is the ad that was typed up. It just seems odd to capitalize every first letter of the word. Just reminds me of those scam emails from out of country. Lots of typos as well. It could just be English is their second language but who knows. That $500 non refundable deposit sounds normalish but put together with how the ad looks, makes me question it too.

You just need to make sure you do your research into the seller before finalizing any deal IMO. Good luck with your decision.

Edit - must’ve just posted as I was typing up. Looks like you’ve have been in contact with the seller already. So the only concern is the SC kit support now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,644 Posts
That was me actually at the time I put the eBay 500 down payment down and was going to fly out and look car and hire someone to come and inspect it. Then a local one popped up that I liked and had 32k miles on it. So I bought it. Then my sister said I want one. So I'm going to let her buy the one I just got. And now I'm back looking at that one. Yes the carbon fiber is a lot of bling but the 35k is what is getting me as well. Plus the cracks on the front clam behind the license plate from it sliding on the car lift. I just don't know. The guy has been pretty straight up on any imperfections, mods and so forth. Definitely sounds like I'm going to have to hire someone to meet me out there and inspect it.
No. You can't just have someone knowledgeable meet you and inspect it. You need a full inspection to make sure you don't find out something is wrong after the fact. ECU dump, valve cover removed, frame inspected, the whole nine yards. Don't skimp or you'll regret it. There's only three people I trust. Me, myself and I.

San

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 2-cents is overpriced. But I believe that intuition is something to be paid attention to. Especially intuition fed by observation - however minor. The first thing I'd note is that most of us have decent writing skills on here. We Don't Write Our Sentences Like This! In Addition, It Takes Too Much Effort To Reach Over There To The Shift Key At The Beginning Of Each Word. Just little things about the ad catch my attention. 2019-2005 = ? Dunno...like NoRawkus305 said...some of it just seems odd. Is there any other history of this car on LT? I was able to trace back all but one phase of my car's life through LT and by simply googling orange Lotus...you may be able to find a little history of the car that way (especially because of the unique parts on it). Anyways...I owe you 1.75 cents...I'll stop before I have to refund you the whole 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts