The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wating for a a while to get an Elise!! :nanner: There is a ST one I lilots lot at a dodge dealership in Georgia. From the first email I got from the guy there he knows nothing about the car...good & bad in my opinion they don't know what they have but they also don't know how to price it fair either.

Here is what I know about the car (not much).

- 2005 Elise ST
- 34,901 miles
- possible sport pack (euro sport pack wheels)
- touring pack?? (they have no interior pics)
- starshield??
- it does have the ReVerie front splitter (looks great in my opinion)

They have a starting price of $29,995 which is to high in my opinion! I'm looking for segestions on a price and how to go about negotiating whith them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
$24,000 - $26,000 tops if it has the sport pack. Miles are high, considering you could get one with 4,000 miles for around $28,000 (or less, possibly).

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
$24,000 - $26,000 tops if it has the sport pack. Miles are high, considering you could get one with 4,000 miles for around $28,000 (or less, possibly).
sounds about right. LSS and Hardtop would decide where in that range is most appropriate....

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you're interested in 05 STi in Oregon (Gran Prix Imports), I almost got one there for around $32K. Mileage under 4K. It only has Sport Pack. Quite a few knicks in the front too because no starshield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only has soft top...it's just hard to know how much they have into it?? I'm not sure how to break it to them that they are $5500 to high!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Only has soft top...it's just hard to know how much they have into it?? I'm not sure how to break it to them that they are $5500 to high!
That is why you shouldent be married to a particular car. If their price is too high you have others to choose from. Hop in a plane if neccesary. That being said an extra 1k or so shouldent be the deciding factor if the car is exactly what you are looking for. There is no way I would go over 25k for said car however...

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's not your business to know what they have into it but rather if they'd take your offer. If the dealer was asking $23K you'd still negotiate, right? The same rules apply if their "asking price" is high, afterall, they're in the business of making money, your job is to limit that amount.

Before you do anything though, make sure you have it inspected or all this is for nothing. Good luck :up:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the pricing help! All those prices were about what i have been seeing as well. I am looking from Minnesota and the car is in Georgia, and the miles dont bother me that much I work as an auto technician here in the twin cities...so if something breaks ill fix it myself at my shop. I just want as much info as they can give me and then I will fly down to see it and then make my final decision then!

Oh ya, I was going to ask what are some of the recalls on 2005 Elises I cant find a good complete list of them...thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
That is why you shouldent be married to a particular car. If their price is too high you have others to choose from. Hop in a plane if neccesary. That being said an extra 1k or so shouldent be the deciding factor if the car is exactly what you are looking for. There is no way I would go over 25k for said car however...

Agreed.

Also, I would be cautious about buying used from a non-Lotus dealer - too many curious "just looking test drives" and the car becomes a weekend car for the reps and techs...and they will beat the crap out of it cause they don't care.

I would suggest finding a private party - best bet is here - when purchasing used. New from a dealer without concern...but used is a different story, at least when I was shopping it was.

Best of luck, it's worth the homework and patience though.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you are interested in stepping up to a 07 I am considering selling mine, that is if I can make up my mind wht toy I should get after this one.

What brand dealership do you work for?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is how you get pricing info. Go to ebaymotors.com. Do a advanced search for lotus cars. (it must be the advanced search). Select "closed sales only" so that it will only show you the cars that sold. If you look at all the cars for sale, most of them will have high prices and dont sell, you need to only look at car prices that sold. Then look at all the data of the cars and the sell price.
Recommend nondealer for best price, will usually save you about 15%. Car can be inspected by dealer for about $200. Lotus of Atlanta will inspect the car for you, just have the seller drop it at dealership for a couple hours. Lotus of Atlanta inspected mine, jacked it up, test drove it to like 85mph, ECU dump, and inspected inside and out. Gave me estimate for repairs I would have never found that I used to successfuly negotiate price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are interested in stepping up to a 07 I am considering selling mine, that is if I can make up my mind wht toy I should get after this one.

What brand dealership do you work for?
I work for an independent repair shop, we work on most anything! we try and stay away from most German cars as those are the ones we don't have factory scan tools for...hard to do re-flash and initializing of new parts without a factory scan tool!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is how you get pricing info. Go to ebaymotors.com. Do a advanced search for lotus cars. (it must be the advanced search). Select "closed sales only" so that it will only show you the cars that sold. If you look at all the cars for sale, most of them will have high prices and dont sell, you need to only look at car prices that sold. Then look at all the data of the cars and the sell price.
Recommend nondealer for best price, will usually save you about 15%. Car can be inspected by dealer for about $200. Lotus of Atlanta will inspect the car for you, just have the seller drop it at dealership for a couple hours. Lotus of Atlanta inspected mine, jacked it up, test drove it to like 85mph, ECU dump, and inspected inside and out. Gave me estimate for repairs I would have never found that I used to successfuly negotiate price.
That is a good Idea to have Lotus of Atlanta look it over!! Im still waiting to hear back about what options the car has, I had to give the guy a list of things to look for for the different options...haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
pre-owned elise

Don't know how far I am from you in Ga., but our Greenville, SC dealership frequently gets pre-owned cars. I might be able to help you with a 2006 with less miles close the price you are talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts