The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is all the hype about the Evora clutch cost true? Is it really 8-10k to replace? Also, daily driving, how often will this need to be done?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The previous owner of my car had the clutch done at the dealer at a cost of $10k. Had ~17k miles on it at the time. I don't know why it failed so soon, maybe they didn't know how to drive a stick

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just drive properly, change clutch/brakes fluid once a year, and I don’t see a reason to do rebuild the clutch in less than 70k miles. I case you have to do so, the dealer isn’t the place to go cheap. Shouldn’t cost more than 5k anywhere. While this seems the most expensive bill you’d get with the Evora, check the cost of living with Porsche, or any other sports car in the $100k category. It’s much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
^ +1.

There are documented cars with more than 70K on the original clutch. And, there have been cars with clutches replaced in a 1/4 of that. Who knows how they were driven.
If needed, shop around for pricing. Some have paid 5K and some 10K.

Best bet is to just budget for it. If you never need a clutch, you have a little savings for the next car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just drive properly, change clutch/brakes fluid once a year, and I don’t see a reason to do rebuild the clutch in less than 70k miles. I case you have to do so, the dealer isn’t the place to go cheap. Shouldn’t cost more than 5k anywhere. While this seems the most expensive bill you’d get with the Evora, check the cost of living with Porsche, or any other sports car in the $100k category. It’s much higher.

I agree. I have looked at porsche caymans and 911s and the cost of living is just ridiculous. Do you know if the problem of getting to the clutch has been rectified in the laters years or is it still around?

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
90% of the clutch failures came from owners with little clue about the Master cylinder issue early in the game from all I have read.

Reactions: cyow5 and mattjk

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
So I daily driver mine and haven't had any issues. I swapped my clutch at around 47k because the engine was coming out for a frame swap. My clutch was still in great shape even with the extra 200+HP from the super charger. Like mentioned make sure your fluid stays good and you replace the clutch master at first sign of failure

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
opinions on an after market warranty on a vehicle out of factory warranty? Maybe a 2 year to cover anything the previous owner did to the car?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
opinions on an after market warranty on a vehicle out of factory warranty? Maybe a 2 year to cover anything the previous owner did to the car?
Hard to come by a company that will warranty these cars, but likely none of them will cover normal wear items like clutches or brakes. The best advice I can offer is to get any prospective vehicles you wish to purchase thoroughly inspected via a reputable and knowledgeable PPI. That should uncover most mechanical issues like worn/failing clutches, leaks, etc.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
When I pulled the clutch from a heavily tracked 50k mile 2011 evora it was still in great shape, so theres a good data point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I pulled the clutch from a heavily tracked 50k mile 2011 evora it was still in great shape, so theres a good data point.
I was looking at an exige, but read that the evora has more creature comforts. As I would use this as more of a daily driver and take it on road trips to the mountains and canyons. Would you agree?

·
Registered
346 Posts
So I daily driver mine and haven't had any issues. I swapped my clutch at around 47k because the engine was coming out for a frame swap. My clutch was still in great shape even with the extra 200+HP from the super charger. Like mentioned make sure your fluid stays good and you replace the clutch master at first sign of failure
That clutch has a lot left in it.

Why did you do the frame swap?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I was looking at an exige, but read that the evora has more creature comforts. As I would use this as more of a daily driver and take it on road trips to the mountains and canyons. Would you agree?
I would not be personally cross shopping these two. Exige is a motorcycle with 4 wheels, Evora is a GT car.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
That clutch has a lot left in it.

Why did you do the frame swap?
Car was rear-ended and the frame had some cosmetic damage, so the shop had it swapped. Was quite a learning experience. They don't make the S1 frame anymore so I have a 400 frame now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree. I have looked at porsche caymans and 911s and the cost of living is just ridiculous. Do you know if the problem of getting to the clutch has been rectified in the laters years or is it still around?
Early models there’s an issue with the master cylinder, make sure yours is updated. My 2010 had clutch rebuilt at 28k miles by the previous owner, now 67k never had any issue whatsoever. Get it serviced once a year, and it’s very reliable car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You are correct above. I have both cars (Exige and Evora S). Exige is for the autocross and short track. Evora is more for long road trip, daily driver, and larger tracks. Has lots of luggage space and kids can ride in. Both cars are totally different from one another.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In my opinion, holding the clutch down at a red light is one of the worst things you can do to any manual transmission. That being said, most clutch issues with any car is the driver. As others have said, change the fluid yearly and I may suggest firewrap on the clutch line. The dealer should happily do it for you if you supply it.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
In my opinion, holding the clutch down at a red light is one of the worst things you can do to any manual transmission. That being said, most clutch issues with any car is the driver. As others have said, change the fluid yearly and I may suggest firewrap on the clutch line. The dealer should happily do it for you if you supply it.
I disagree.

I recently replaced the first clutch in any car I have owned in 40 years, that I actually wore out, and it actually stuck to the flywheel from sitting too long. Probably 70k miles. Also in fairness I sold my M100 with 109k and it was really close, no slipage but release point was very high. 55k was mine

I think nothing of sitting at an intersection waiting to pull out balanced on the clutch, and I lived for a decade at a house where the exit to the main road was uphill left turn across blind traffic. You sit, balanced on the clutch waiting for traffic to go by so you can jump out before the dump truck flattens you
My work now for 17 years the primary exit is a small slope left turn out.
Point being, if you drive like a human, you will get 100k out of a clutch
Sure you can wear a throw out bearing by sitting on the pedal, but if you leave it in neutral it is just spinning the trans
shrug

1 - 20 of 35 Posts