The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally finished my second project... A backup camera facility.

I went with a Boyo license plate frame mounted wide angle lens... Cautionary note, the frame is recessed under the trunk lid which cuts off the "top half" of the image.... Still adequate... But annoying... Not as annoying as filing a line-of-site notch in the trunk lid however.

I was not looking forward to routing the av signal cable; turned out to be a piece of cake... The furnished cable is rather svelte and nicely designed... Three parts... The permanent cable attached to the camera/plate, about 18" long pigtail with attached grommet; wow... Routed the pigtail under the "tag light" lens; which broke when I was merely spraying it with silicon lube to remove some Florida dirt (sand). I guess 14 years was the life expectancy of a tag lens from the Rolls Royce parts bin. Yep, it's a RR part. I would have thought RR lifetimes were beyond measurement. Had to drill small hole from boot-side into the lens cavity... No issues there. Fed the second cable, the "long one", from the cabin-side radio cavity, along the pax-side of the center tunnel trim; tucks under very easily... To the cabin-side firewall bulkhead. Tucked the cable under the carpet seams (not sewn seams; where the carpet pieces merge), following the seam along floor to pax door trailing frame gasket and tucked the cable under the gasket, going vertical now. Then into the seatbelt retractor bay. Then fed the cable underneath the boot-side edge of the retractor bay... Now behind the ECU, following all the other cables at this point, tying it off with zip ties every foot or so... Until reached behind the battery, turn right and head for the pig-tail. Done job.

Interesting discovery; not sure what it means, yet, I found an odd looking device mounted on top of the right rear fender under the sail plane... Took a picture of it... Shape of a tiny bladeless "fan" (its not a fan, just has the general appearance of one) and it was unplugged... I can see the electrical block connector dangling and it's opposite mate also just hanging loose. It says "5370 Cobra" so I guess it's part of the immobilizer ... And it's been immobilized, neutered.. Wonder why? Saves the battery?

Anyway, the head unit of the camera is a Pioneer, single DIN, 7" DVD receiver and once you figure out how to configure the darn thing, works just dandy.

Now I have two more challenges...

1. Wire in the reverse lights, I'm assuming the Esprit has them and that I can find the wire, to the head unit so it will automagically display the image when backing...
2. How to jam all this wiring into the scanty cavity left by the previous occupant, Alpine.

Oh, what was the third part of the av cable? yet another pigtail converting a DIN connector to a RCA av plug and a pos/neg power connection for inside the scuttle.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Huh... Just occurred to me ... That fan looking "5370 Cobra" thingee perched on my fender is probably a klaxon...

So, I assume the PO had probs with the klaxon and solved it by having it "fixed".

More to come as I ferret this out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The horn module has rechargeable batteries in it to power the alarm if the thief thinks he can defeat the alarm by disconnecting the battery. They are probably bad. The immobilizer is a smaller black box nearby. Disconnecting it will immobilize the car. It must be connected and operating or properly jumpered out.
David Teitelbaum

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info David.

Here's the image of the item. As you can see, its been disconnected. I don't know if its been jumpered out; I suppose that it has. The immobilizer does work. At least as I understand its operation. The actual Cobra "box" is floating under my scuttle above the pax right knee position.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that is the actually siren.
you are in the passenger panel in the engine bay right?
yes; rearward of the ECU; I agree, on second note it looks like a siren. Obviously a disconnected siren. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That is the horn/siren module. As I said, everything will still work even if it is unplugged (except of course the siren). If you look just forward of it and towards the motor you should see the small black box that is the immobilizer. It should be connected (unless it was jumpered out).
David Teitelbaum

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed the clipping of the top half of the image by flipping the license plate frame upside down while simultaneously flipping the camera lens downside up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts