The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get out of town with the girlfriend in the next couple of weeks. We were looking for interesting hotels/B&B near the CA coast - somewhere between Mexico & San Fransisco without spending much more than $2-300 a night. Something like the Post Ranch Inn would be ideal, but that's a bit pricey & very booked for the next several weekends.

Has anyone had any great experiences that fit the bill? It's a little difficult to search online because there are SO many options - many of which are crap.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hotel Del Coronado
Simpson House in Santa Barbara
Somewhere/anywhere in Big Sur or Carmel.
Inn at Morro Bay

·
Registered
817 Posts
We stayed at the Hotel Cheval in Paso Robles a few months ago and it was really nice... Great wine tasting around there too...

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you're daring...Mexico about 45 mins from the border, El puerto nuevo, golf, spa @ Bajamar country club.

San Diego has a bunch of nice BB hotels. Coronado Island is nice.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
One of the B & B's on or near Bath Street, in Santa Barbara.

Dinner at The Wine Cask (never been but heard many good things about it).

Further up the coast, one of the B & B's in Pacific Grove.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Agree with B&B in Santa Barbara....then can visit Solvang....go up to Hearst Castle...

If you are driving, you can take PCH for some scenic views...

Monterey is beautiful - hit their aquarium....then run Laguna Seca!!!!!

Keep going north to Big Sur, S.F. and Sausalito ....

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Early this year, my wife and I had a great time in Santa Cruz, here:

Four Sisters

very nice, historic mansion that's been recently renovated to a very high level.

If you visit Santa Cruz and you love good food and interesting wines, visit Soif, in the downtown area. Nice little place offering fantastic small plates, with suggested wines offered by the taste, by the glass, or by the bottle. Sit at the wine bar if you can, it's the best way to talk with the knowledgeable staff and figure out what you want to order next ! My wife and I spent a great evening there, I love that place.

Also, if you like the Los Olivos/Solvang/Ballard area: This place is really very nice:
http://www.ballardinn.com/

The rooms are very good, and the in-house restaurant does a great job as well !

It's also not far from The Hitching Post, of Sideways fame - if you've never been, love good food and some great Pinot, you must go !

Have fun !

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.

A lot of those places look fantastic, but are pretty booked up for the next couple of months - at least on the days I can get away.

Made a reservation at the Inn at Morro Bay. Thanks Randy. ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
If possible base yourself at the Kon Tiki in Pismo Beach. I know, when you see the outside you will say--what were you thinking. OK, say it screams 1960 but, all the rooms have a fantastic ocean view. I think you even get a free visitors pass to the Gym in the parking lot.

Now you can tour SLO and take a great drive up and down Highway 1---Montery is a kick if you can plan to do it during the week. The road to die for!!

There is so much to do within 100 miles (great Lotus Driving) that I could write a book. Best if you explore on your own and create some lasting memories. Did I tell you about the Beach where all the rocks look like Gemstones?

Good luck.

LPM

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you are making San Francisco, don't forget Hwy 1 SF -> Stinson Beach -> Point Reyes -> Bodega Bay.

At least to Point Reyes - Lotus's country.

Stay in SF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts