The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Lotus forum which leads me to ask for a few questions.

I live in Carmel California and looking for a very good shop/mechanic who is more focused on Esprit's. This for a few reasons, Being a car guy I know a great shop will know the best solutions if something comes up. Plus they will know owner who might be thinking of selling.

Looking to see if anyone within a few hundred miles might have a 1986,1987 HCI. Would like to ride or drive one before buying one. I have restored, autoX, hill climbed, worked for exotic car auction company and driven or owned many high end European cars.

Any help would be wonderfully appreciated

Thanks

Trevor

·
4,415 Posts
Long story - part of it here

I'm in San Jose, but eventually selling my 87 Turbo Esprit (HCi) because my local trusted mechanics are gone, the car has 95K miles and while it runs and passes smog, will need rebuilding given mileage and other issues. I'm kinda swamped with many work and personal things going on, but if you're interested (there were only 192 87 Turbo Esprits imported to USA), my car will need some work for long term use.

If it fits my schedule I can offer you a masked ride, but no drive since I'm about to sell the car on auction and the risk is too high for me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Trevor, I have an '86 which I'd be happy to let you drive at some point. I'm currently moving from SF to Marin and my car is in storage and will be getting some updates so it's unlikely it, or I, will be available until mid-late October. There are a few Turbo Esprits in the Bay area and the differences between the earlier carb cars and the HCI are slight so don't limit yourself in looking for a ride. However, when it comes time to buy an HCI in good condition will be easier to pass CA smog tests than a carb version so keep that in mind. Good luck in your search and if you haven't found a ride in the next month or so give me a shout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sleetgt, thank you for the offer as being a passenger is totally fine with me. Yes, I know the number are pretty and that is also one of the reasons for looking at a HCI. I am very particular to put it lightly. I dig into each car to learn what I like or things to be aware of. One thing is I do not want a red or black HCI which narrows the choices even more.

2Many Cars Thank you for in insight comparing Carb to FI as I did not think about smog, joys of California and older cars. Yes, will see how things unfold seeing/riding/driving an Esprit and will touch bases with you. I am in no hurry so things will happen at the right time. I use to live in the Bay Area for almost 40 years till it was just time to get out. Love it down here plus Laguna just around the corner and Car Week.

·
4,415 Posts
[snip] One thing is I do not want a red or black HCI which narrows the choices even more.

[snip] I use to live in the Bay Area for almost 40 years till it was just time to get out. Love it down here plus Laguna just around the corner and Car Week.
FYI - If memory serves, Calypso Red is the most popular color for the Giugiaro Turbo Esprits. Given the low numbers and excluding black, it will definitely be a small pool for 86/87 HCI that will fill your bill. Repainting is always an option (purists aside).

RE: smog - that definitely is a big deal. I had trouble passing back in 2020 due to a bad fuel injector. Others with carbs say they pass just fine - as long as you have all the smog gear present, working, and you work the magic on the carb jets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts