The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My hunt is officially on to find a 2001+ Azure Blue Esprit!

I've always loved that color and hope I can find one that fits the bill.

More details here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f177/wtb-azure-blue-dark-gray-2001-2004-esprit-v8-244337/

Please keep me in mind if you come across one. Or if someone out there has this car and is thinking about selling - let me know if you want to chat.

I'm a lifelong enthusiast and will take good care of the lucky winner. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you doing with your car?
I might eventually sell it, though it will be tough since it's gorgeous and I really love it.

I'm curious to see how the "later" Esprits differ (brakes, lights, exhaust, etc), and the Azure blue was my original plan. My wife preferred the gray so that's what we went with, but now the blue is calling my name again... :) The round lights are growing on me too.

If I find the Azure blue one soon it will be fun to have 2 Esprits for a while! Then I'll probably put the '99 up for sale after a bit.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What you are looking for is rare. Each year they were only a handful of that color made. I have an azure blue '99 and I understand that year only 2 or 3 were made depending on who you talk to. When you factor in some won't be for sale, some may be in bad condition, some may be wrecked, some may be out of the country, you will be lucky if you can find more than 2.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are looking for is rare. Each year they were only a handful of that color made. I have an azure blue '99 and I understand that year only 2 or 3 were made depending on who you talk to. When you factor in some won't be for sale, some may be in bad condition, some may be wrecked, some may be out of the country, you will be lucky if you can find more than 2.
David Teitelbaum
Yes, it might be a difficult search! That's why I figured I would post here - with the hopes of maybe finding this rare beast.

:popcorn:

What color interior do you have on yours?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I don't remember exactly when they quit making Azure Blue, but I'm pretty sure there were no 2004 in Azure. I seem to recall that 2002 might be the last year it was used... But it looks like some links on the web list Azure as a color for 2003...

If you are going to 2001, why not 2000? they are identical with the AP brakes, dual plate clutch, revised interior, and shifter. They didn't come with the OZ Novas until 2002.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember exactly when they quit making Azure Blue, but I'm pretty sure there were no 2004 in Azure. I seem to recall that 2002 might be the last year it was used... But it looks like some links on the web list Azure as a color for 2003...

If you are going to 2001, why not 2000? they are identical with the AP brakes, dual plate clutch, revised interior, and shifter. They didn't come with the OZ Novas until 2002.
I suppose I could go back to 2000 as long as it has the mechanical updates (hylomar liner sealant being the most important.). Though part of me just wants the "newest" Esprit possible, I could go for a well sorted 2000.

Any reliability differences between the 2002-2004 and the 2000-2001?

Anecdotally I get the sense that the later cars have less issues overall.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
If the liners haven't failed by now, then they aren't going to...

There should be no reliability difference between 2000-2004, except the mileage and usage. Though it seems like the ECU tunes on the later cars could cause changes. I know of a 2003 that keeps needing the catalytic converters replaced (3 times) and has needed 2 ECU's...

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Due to my Esprit obsession, I am constantly on a ton of Esprit for sale sites every day...will definitely keep an eye out for you, Espree! :)

Roy

·
Registered
136 Posts
A friend of a friend said someone local (dfw) had mentioned possibly getting rid of their esprit, it's either a 2000 or 01' azure blue. I havent seen it personally but i think it has 30-40k miles. Want me to look into it?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
A friend of a friend said someone local (dfw) had mentioned possibly getting rid of their esprit, it's either a 2000 or 01' azure blue. I havent seen it personally but i think it has 30-40k miles. Want me to look into it?
Your in DFW too? Ping me!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is probably too many miles for me, but if you wouldn't mind checking I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is probably too many miles for me, but if you wouldn't mind checking I would appreciate it!
:no: Lotus Esprit sitting and doing nothing in the garage will do more harm than the Esprit with 30,000 maintained highway miles. I found that out painfully.

Esprit is like a piano, they will get out of tune - dull the ivory or breaks just sitting in your living room covered or without playing it.

The fluid (water - oil - brake - transmission)will eat the gasket and leak like niagara falls.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:no: Lotus Esprit sitting and doing nothing in the garage will do more harm than the Esprit with 30,000 maintained highway miles. I found that out painfully.

Esprit is like a piano, they will get out of tune - dull the ivory or breaks just sitting in your living room covered or without playing it.

The fluid (water - oil - brake - transmission)will eat the gasket and leak like niagara falls.
I agree, but for me the ideal is one that has low mileage but was actually taken care of (not just sitting in a barn).

My last Esprit had what I thought was a good number of 24,000 miles - but it needed a full rebuild as soon as I got it.

So really the true indicator of engine health is the actual care and maintenance, while having low miles will help with everything else being in good shape (seats, paint, etc.). At least that is my hope!

·
Registered
181 Posts
yeah...everyone has opinion.
I bought several lotuses from the past, to enjoy driving it.
To get a Lotus in a low mileage thinking its a future investment ---- NOT!
i found that out painfully too !
The only Lotus I made money was my old Lotus 7 -- other than that --- no investment on Elise, Exige - Evora and Esprit.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah...everyone has opinion.
I bought several lotuses from the past, to enjoy driving it.
To get a Lotus in a low mileage thinking its a future investment ---- NOT!
i found that out painfully too !
Agreed - this is a passion, not an investment!

I'm reminded of all of the Harley and Hot Rod owners I see at car shows who put tons of money into their rides. They will almost never get that money back, but then again they usually don't expect to either.

It's the ride they keep and continue to work on simply because it suits them. Same here. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no investment on Elise, Exige - Evora and Esprit.
Actually my wife and I were seriously thinking about getting an Evora S this year, but the Esprit still wins out for us. Just more special.

And financially it makes more sense to get the Esprit because the bulk of its depreciation has already happened.

An Evora S is about $80,000 (or more) new, and it will probably never get back that high. We can basically buy two Esprits for that! Or one Esprit and have reserve funds for repairs. That's where we are at.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts