The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I own a 1983 lotus esprit turbo, the finishing caps that run along the "A" pilier then accross the top of the door, and finish under the hatch have become brittle and have left a sharp chalky edge, its so sharp that you can cut your hand if you wash the car, the orginials where chrome plated plastic, and I have the replacement parts, i'm looking for someone our there that has replace theirs and can offer some advise as to which way is the best practice to get the old finisher out and the new one in - I think I have removed all the rivits - any professionals, please chim in - your brother in Lotus - Tom :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
finishing cap

Hi. Fixed mine a couple of years ago so am going from memory. The finishing rail has to be removed in order for the cap rail to be installed. The rail is held in place by aluminum rivets that once drilled out release the rail. The interior leather covered finishing rail should also be pulled off exposing the inside of the rail.I left the rivets near the tailgate hinges intact as I think removal is a big undertaking. If you decide to remove it , it would make installation a breeze. The rail is also held down with a rubber sealant that must be carefully cut through. Once the rail is separated from the body you can fit the new finishing cap. If the tailgate is still on you can slowly push the rail cap through this area. Its a bit of a job but can be done. If the tailgate is off, simply fit the new cap rail. Before replacing the rail a bead of silicone needs to be applied where the rivets holes are to keep water out. Aluminum rivets are best. Simply re-rivet the rail and re-seal where the old seal used to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I redid mine using black door edge guard used for cars /Trucks (It came in long enough lenths to do the job and has adhesive built in)

Alot cheaper than the OEM Lotus stuff and looked better on a white car than the original chrome, but it also comes in chrome and other colours If you want either an OEM or custom look.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
tirpsesutol,
Thanks for the tips etc. but pleeease downsize your text and picture to fit the format. I don't have a 42" wide computer monitor.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts