The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for Elise/Exige for around 25,000 salavage, high mileage doesnt matter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Geez that's cheap..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lotus started selling elise in Canada back in Feb 2006 and it is currently not possible to import an elise to Canada. The 2006 elise should be the earliest model sold in Canada. So I have no ideas where the 2005 elise could possible come from. Plus it said FWD. :no:

Just be aware when the seller asks you to send the money oversea before shipping you the car. I hope someone will find out more if this is a real deal. :shrug:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Its a SCAM! I've been looking for a second, practical car and have seen a bunch of ads for late model cars at ridiculously low prices. Examples: 2006 Audi A4 for $6000, 2006 Acura TL for $4500. All of them follow the same pattern in the descriptions. Look for "Pre-Owned" in the description (no s***, its a used car!). Also, there's no email or phone number in the ad.

I followed up on one just for fun and the story goes like this: a lady in New Brunswick is in a wheelchair and her husband just died and she needs the cash for an operation so that she can walk again... whatever!!! The car is conveniently sealed in a shipping container at the *fictional* Moncton eBay warehouse. I would also have to pay eBay to release the car. The shame of it is that stupid people actually fall for it.

I took the email header info (it originated in NYC) and reported it to the police, but I doubt anything will be done as it is probably from a zombie PC being controlled from Nigeria/Russia/China/etc. OK, not China, the grammar and spelling is correct. I also contacted Auto Trader directly about it more than 2 weeks ago. They have more scams than legitimate ads right now, but they haven't done anything about it yet.

Tim

·
Registered
142 Posts
I followed up on one just for fun and the story goes like this: a lady in New Brunswick is in a wheelchair and her husband just died and she needs the cash for an operation so that she can walk again... whatever!!! The car is conveniently sealed in a shipping container at the *fictional* Moncton eBay warehouse. I would also have to pay eBay to release the car. The shame of it is that stupid people actually fall for it.

Tim
Great info, Tim! People just never get tired of the same scam.:shrug:

Looks too good to be true, I'd keep looking. I doubt $25k is enough, but good luck on the hunt.
25k would be a little hard at the moment considering we pay premium on everything sold in Canada. :( Just keep looking, price will come down eventually. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is hilarious to those of us who know more than the typical AutoTrader reader. I was speaking to a track day instructor yesterday and he's checked this out too.. No story about little old ladies in wheelchairs, but the car is in fact a US car, currently located in Colorado. The instructors has reported the car to AutoTrader's "fraud line". Stay away (unless you're in colorado)

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is hilarious to those of us who know more than the typical AutoTrader reader. I was speaking to a track day instructor yesterday and he's checked this out too.. No story about little old ladies in wheelchairs, but the car is in fact a US car, currently located in Colorado. The instructors has reported the car to AutoTrader's "fraud line". Stay away (unless you're in colorado)
The instructor located the real car in the picture without a VIN? The scammer probably gives different stories to different people everyday. He must be good in creative writing. rotfl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts