The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for an enclosed car trailer for a car about 1 inch shorter than the G37. I've never purchased a trailer before and I not sure what to look for. my only requirements right now are that it is in closed, have some space for tools and a couple extra part. I will also want to avoid a fifth wheel, though I will be pulling it with a big diesel truck. thanks

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
A 24 footer will handle it easily and also be a good buy because it's easier to eventually resell it. You might be able to get away with a 20 footer, but they are in less demand and harder to resell. Things to look for:

unladen weight
total weight capacity, sometimes called GVW

Make sure if your car weighs, say, 3500 pounds, that you have plenty of room between your two trailer weight specs. For example, my 24 foot trailer weighs 3500 pounds, and total capacity is 10,500. I could technically carry 7000 pounds. So putting even a 5000 pound car on it would be fine, along with tools and luggage. Since I tow lightweight race cars, it's not an issue. But some trailers will pinch you off with a total capacity of 7500 pounds, and the trailer weighs 4500. Now you are screwed! Landscape trailers will not generally work well.

Try to get aluminum, as much as possible, and less wood. Look for rust, look for rotting wood, and make sure the trailer has a recent annual inspection. If you're in a state where none is required, I'd go get it inspected before buying. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
www.racingjunk.com

used for sale
new for sale

here on ET, advanced search, titles only, "trailer"
go to the most popular forum for your truck and check for a towing sub forum.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I don't think there is a point. Unless you're driving a tractor trailer or something.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
In addition to Surferjer's good suggestions, I'd offer a couple more things to look for. First, look for a trailer that is a true "car hauler" design; in other words, it should have a dovetail rear floor and a ramp style door to make loading easier. If it has side hinged doors, it is likely a landscape or utility trailer not designed for vehicle loading.

Also, if you are looking at used trailers, be aware that trailer tires--even though the tread may look good--don't last very long. Double axle designs seem to put a lot of stress on tires and aging/heat may make them more prone to blowouts than tires on your tow vehicle. So, you may want to budget an extra $400-500 or so for a set of fresh tires if there are any concerns about the condition of those on the trailer. Shopping for trailer tires ahead of time sure beats having to buy tires in a small town during a trip (and don't ask me how I know that).

I spent a couple years (on and off) looking for a deal on a used enclosed trailer and finally ran across a good deal on a 24' Pace. Plenty long for a small car, but also handy if the family car breaks down or some other needs come along.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
conan, how was your experience with that dealer. i exchanged emails with them and i found them to be be short on communication, long on making a quick sale.

i've had virtually no luck with finding a dealer with whom i want to work in the mid atlantic/midwest area.

those pro-line trailers are certainly quite a good value. are you having it delivered?

i just picked up my new tundra last night, so i'm in a much better position to finally buy a trailer. i gave up on the idea of converting my wife's lx470 to a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
conan, how was your experience with that dealer. i exchanged emails with them and i found them to be be short on communication, long on making a quick sale.

i've had virtually no luck with finding a dealer with whom i want to work in the mid atlantic/midwest area.

those pro-line trailers are certainly quite a good value. are you having it delivered?

i just picked up my new tundra last night, so i'm in a much better position to finally buy a trailer. i gave up on the idea of converting my wife's lx470 to a tow vehicle.
Ace, I got the same impression. However, I think they just know they don't need to say much. The deal speaks for itself. They delivered the trailer and only charged me ~$500 for delivery to Rochester, MN, from northern IN. I also purchased an emergency spare trailer tire but didn't receive it. So I emailed them to credit me, and they did no questions asked.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the experience so far. The trailer seems to be excellent quality. I'll know more after my first race next month since the track is ~500 miles away.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Ace, I got the same impression. However, I think they just know they don't need to say much. The deal speaks for itself. They delivered the trailer and only charged me ~$500 for delivery to Rochester, MN, from northern IN. I also purchased an emergency spare trailer tire but didn't receive it. So I emailed them to credit me, and they did no questions asked.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the experience so far. The trailer seems to be excellent quality. I'll know more after my first race next month since the track is ~500 miles away.
have you tried to load the lotus in the trailer yet? that trailer has a pretty big beaver tail and ramp extension... i'm wondering about clearance.

i have been checking out some of the longer metal ramp extensions in order to eliminate any chance of dragging the nose of the car. one dealer sent pics to me of a hinged full-width four footer that looked simple yet effective.

i'm really wanting to avoid the wood block/wood plank/ramps on the rear of the truck wheels gymnastics. easy is good.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
have you tried to load the lotus in the trailer yet? that trailer has a pretty big beaver tail and ramp extension... i'm wondering about clearance.
Not yet. Probably won't be loading the Elise on it anytime soon. Primarily got it for the spec 944.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts