The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know for a fact that this has been discussed ad nauseum through out the forums. There have been many stories of people attempting the swap. I am looking for success stories of swapping a K20 into a Federal Elise. I have seen many attempts. I know that Exigeme was very close back in 2009-2010 time frame if I remember correctly. The point of this thread is to find out if there is anywhere out there to make the swap a bit easier than just fabricating all of the components yourself. I'm not looking for a full kit. Just want to know if there is anywhere out there that sells any sort of components for the swap from the 2zz engine to the K20.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i had no issues other than waiting for parts. motor went in and fired up no issues for the first time.

on a sidenote, it is for sale (buying a business)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
WhatADSM had a 400whp n/a car going on. Damn quick car. Haven't seen him on in a bit.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The people who have completed them are probably too busy to post.

#relevant :up:

as far as success stories... there's roughly over a half dozen or so on the forums that have a running k-series setup & about another half dozen (documented) currently going through the swap...

i spoke with one of the first guys to complete it (on the forums at least) & he told me that if he had to do it all over again he would have just built up the 2zz.

ill probably take those words as advice, even though I also have interest in doing the K swap myself down the road

but with whats offered now for the 2zz as far as big power adders/tuning, it isn't that far behind the Honda alternative anymore (at least maybe not enough to justify the swap financially which is what everything boils down to in the end)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
WhatADSM had a 400whp n/a car going on. Damn quick car. Haven't seen him on in a bit.

family is taking a lot of new free time now iirc... we hardly see him at any of the local event either :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#relevant :up:

as far as success stories... there's roughly over a half dozen or so on the forums that have a running k-series setup & about another half dozen (documented) currently going through the swap...

i spoke with one of the first guys to complete it (on the forums at least) & he told me that if he had to do it all over again he would have just built up the 2zz.

ill probably take those words as advice, even though I also have interest in doing the K swap myself down the road

but with whats offered now for the 2zz as far as big power adders/tuning, it isn't that far behind the Honda alternative anymore (at least maybe not enough to justify the swap financially which is what everything boils down to in the end)
The 2zz is a great engine and can produce decent power with the right add ons. The thing is. I have a line on an Elise with no engine that I should be able to pick up at a bargain price (We will see after inspection). I could go with a built engine from sector 111 but I really like the K20/K24 engines for their N/A power capability. I currently drive a 350 HP Subaru WRX so I know the fun of the all mighty turbo. Hopefully this Elise will be the project car that I hope it will be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had no issues other than waiting for parts. motor went in and fired up no issues for the first time.

on a sidenote, it is for sale (buying a business)
Did you build it in the states? Did you source the parts or fabricate them yourself? Did you have any fitment issues with the new larger engine? I have heard horror stories about some dude named Joe Mccarthy and the kit he makes, but then again I have heard great things about him as well (from people that actually received the kit).

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Mines been running fine since 2008. Only problem I've had is galvanic corrosion in the radiator; not related to the engine swap.

The 2ZZ is a generation behind the Honda K Series engine, which is getting old itself, and it shows. Even a stock K24 was a giant leap up from the 2ZZ in terms of response, torque curve, power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mines been running fine since 2008. Only problem I've had is galvanic corrosion in the radiator; not related to the engine swap.

The 2ZZ is a generation behind the Honda K Series engine, which is getting old itself, and it shows. Even a stock K24 was a giant leap up from the 2ZZ in terms of response, torque curve, power and fuel economy.
Did you have to fabricate the engine mounts yourself? I hear the drive shafts sit at an angle because of the engine size difference and can cause massive heat build up. Thanks for the info everyone keep it coming. I have seen too many unsuccessful build threads and it is good to hear that at least some people have had luck with it. Dstevens I was looking at a built k20/24 Frankenstein engine from KMOD performance. Other than the engine I will be wrenching on this beast myself. Got to get the car first though which should happen soon as long as it checks out. Going this weekend!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Did you build it in the states? Did you source the parts or fabricate them yourself? Did you have any fitment issues with the new larger engine? I have heard horror stories about some dude named Joe Mccarthy and the kit he makes, but then again I have heard great things about him as well (from people that actually received the kit).
Im in the states! I used innovatives kit. The only downside was waiting for this kit to arrive(came in 3/4 packages over 6 months). The quality of the kit is great although certain parts needs slight modification. Nothing to sway one away from the kit though. Plenty of room and much cleaner than the oem toyota setup.

I rode in whatadsm's. He makes around 380-400 on his k24 supercharged setup. It was downright impressive. I went the other route with a turbo, and shooting for around 450whp. The impressive thing with the k series is there are multiple (as in alot) of people putting out over 600whp in stock trim. One of the reasons i was so attracted to the swap initially.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Mine was from Joe. There's a history going back a decade between Joe and various folks in the UK which I won't get into, but mine fit fine and worked without any problems. The driveshafts are level and straight. It keeps the AC. The engine is 2 inches lower than stock.

You'll never pass smog in CA according to the rules. You can do an engine swap as long as all the emission related equipment is present, which is not possible when swapping a front drive engine into a mid engine vehicle as the exhaust must be altered, which is part of the emissions controls. Mine passes easily on the smog dyno, but the law does not consider how clean the engine is, only the rules to follow.

I don't get this K20/K24 frank business. There's the K20, either in K20A, K20A2, K20Z1 or K20Z3 form. Then there's the K24A2, in two forms. Both those engine series are good. Everything else, the K20A3, the K24A1, K24A3 etc etc are junk. So you either use a K20 of some sort or the K24A2.

I doubt you can get 600 hp on 91 octane. High 400s is about the limit.

·
Registered
591 Posts
From what i was seeing that was race gas/e85. We have 93 pump over here. I know cali smog is extremely strict, for our emissions over here, they just plug it into the obd port and check for codes. All my dtc's are disabled, as well as no emmissions equiptment and no codes pop up at all. I've passed this same way with my evo and 350z. I hope the az laws arent as strict as im moving my cars to scottsdale in april :x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine was from Joe. There's a history going back a decade between Joe and various folks in the UK which I won't get into, but mine fit fine and worked without any problems. The driveshafts are level and straight. It keeps the AC. The engine is 2 inches lower than stock.

You'll never pass smog in CA according to the rules. You can do an engine swap as long as all the emission related equipment is present, which is not possible when swapping a front drive engine into a mid engine vehicle as the exhaust must be altered, which is part of the emissions controls. Mine passes easily on the smog dyno, but the law does not consider how clean the engine is, only the rules to follow.

I don't get this K20/K24 frank business. There's the K20, either in K20A, K20A2, K20Z1 or K20Z3 form. Then there's the K24A2, in two forms. Both those engine series are good. Everything else, the K20A3, the K24A1, K24A3 etc etc are junk. So you either use a K20 of some sort or the K24A2.

I doubt you can get 600 hp on 91 octane. High 400s is about the limit.
I have read plenty about Joe in multiple forums and I will not get into it as I have heard both good and bad things and I personally have no experience with the man. The "Frankenstein" engine is the K24A2 with a K20A2 head. They are popular among the Honda crowds. That is good to hear about the driveshafts. I truly appreciate all the feed back from people with successful builds. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts