The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1988 Esprit, shop servicing the car closed during pandemic. Would appreciate any referrals to a qualified mechanic or repair shop near or around Walnut Creek, CA.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
Did you try the previous suggestions?

Reactions: carbuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thank you, difficulty connecting with Dietsch, Transpec Autosports no longer services Esprit, Spencer's a possibility, although quite a distance away. Looking for something a bit closer to Walnut Creek.
Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yes, thank you, difficulty connecting with Dietsch, Transpec Autosports no longer services Esprit, Spencer's a possibility, although quite a distance away. Looking for something a bit closer to Walnut Creek.
Appreciate your help.
I guess I'm not surprised at TrackSpec, they have their hands full with current Lotus and their Porsche and BMW customers. Keep trying with Dietsch, the shop is quite busy which could explain the slow response. Also, check with Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City. I don't know if George (tech) is still there, but if so he is well versed in Esprit.

Spencer is likely best qualified, but he's booked as well and it could be some time before you can get on his schedule.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm not surprised at TrackSpec, they have their hands full with current Lotus and their Porsche and BMW customers. Keep trying with Dietsch, the shop is quite busy which could explain the slow response. Also, check with Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City. I don't know if George (tech) is still there, but if so he is well versed in Esprit.

Spencer is likely best qualified, but he's booked as well and it could be some time before you can get on his schedule.

Kiyoshi
Thanks Kiyoshi! I will keep trying, hopefully other closer options emerge.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
@lotus88esprit I've been working with Barry for a while. He is completely rebuilding my '67 Elan. He has been busy, but is taking on more service work.
Hoover Chan is the owner of Dietsch. P: 925-455-1066

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@lotus88esprit I've been working with Barry for a while. He is completely rebuilding my '67 Elan. He has been busy, but is taking on more service work.
Hoover Chan is the owner of Dietsch. P: 925-455-1066
Do you have a direct phone number for Barry? Having a tough time getting a return phone call when I call the office line.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
17 Posts
I own a 1988 Esprit, shop servicing the car closed during pandemic. Would appreciate any referrals to a qualified mechanic or repair shop near or around Walnut Creek, CA.

Thanks!
I am curious what you found. I am a new Evora GT owner (also in Walnut Creek). I just don't want to drive the car to the other side of the bay for the regular service.

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
I am curious what you found. I am a new Evora GT owner (also in Walnut Creek). I just don't want to drive the car to the other side of the bay for the regular service.
Esprit service is a whole different ballpark mechanic wise. They are fewer and farther between than current Lotus mechanics.

Reactions: empti

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Esprit service is a whole different ballpark mechanic wise. They are fewer and farther between than current Lotus mechanics.
I can vouch for that. When I took my Esprit to a Lotus dealer for a promotional (free) maintenance/safety check everyone there, including service dept folks, was wide-eyed and inquisitive as if they'd never actually seen an Esprit before. But friendly, respectful, and helpful I might add. There was fortunately an experienced Esprit savvy Lotus factory field service rep to step the young technician through the process.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, agree, trackspec in Fremont services Evora and newer Lotus models, not my Esprit. Phone number is 510.403.1161. Also Dietsch Motorsports in Livermore is a possibility, although I have had a hard time making contact. Phone number 925.455.1066.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Atwell! If Trackspec services Esprits that would be great news, although when I called them last week, I was told they did not.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,316 Posts
I have it from a reliable source that Trackspec is no longer accepting new Esprit customers. Sorry, I didn't know.

I'm sure that is why they declined when you called.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you looking for someone to do the maintenance and service for you or are you willing to do some of it on your own? I'm not too close but do have a 4-post lift and pretty much anything you would need for general maintenance and service. If you are talking tune-ups like plugs and stuff and oil or fluid changes then you can use the lift and I can help if you want. I don't want to tie up the equipment for more than a day or two so I can use it if needed but I am not a mechanic so don't do maintenance... just help if needed. Oh, all the manuals are here also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DailyDriver! Thanks for the reply and kind offer of assistance, looking for someone to do the maintenance and service, I have no skills in that area. 🏎

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
17 Posts
Are you looking for someone to do the maintenance and service for you or are you willing to do some of it on your own? I'm not too close but do have a 4-post lift and pretty much anything you would need for general maintenance and service. If you are talking tune-ups like plugs and stuff and oil or fluid changes then you can use the lift and I can help if you want. I don't want to tie up the equipment for more than a day or two so I can use it if needed but I am not a mechanic so don't do maintenance... just help if needed. Oh, all the manuals are here also.
I am curious what brand/size 4 post lift you have. I may want to install a lift in the future. Right now I am using ramps and jack stands to do my maintenance, but prefer something more convenient going forward.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know the manufacturer but it shows multiple results with a Google of the part number TX FP8K-DS. It is more than adequate for personal use but not "industrial" grade. Rated for 8,000 lb. Parts are readily available as I found when a crack developed in the hydraulic fluid reservoir after several years of use. I think it is the most useful tool I have for maintaining three Lotus. I'm pushing 70 years so the old crawling on the back thing got a bit of a bother.

I have the optional wheel package that allows for some mobility on smooth flat surfaces. On really smooth flat surfaces it can also be moved with a vehicle on it as the wheels are only active when lowered to the bottom limit. I have the lift outside beside my tract home on a concrete driveway that had been extended behind the fence for RV parking by the prior homeowner. I do not have it bolted to the concrete to avoid any issues with the City. Because it is mobile, plugs into 120V, is in the rear behind a fence and for non-commercial use then the codes for commercial or industrial activity in a residential are don't apply.

Do plan before you buy. When it was delivered to my house there was one package weighing about 1,700 lbs. They did not supply a forklift for unloading despite my request. We (the truck driver and I) managed to manipulate it off the truck and behind the gate using an engine hoist with some creative rigging I learned in a crane/rigging safety class years ago. Probably an amusing sight to watch.

I managed to assemble the lift without assistance but would strongly urge helping hands. It took a lot of creative thinking and, again, the creative use of an engine hoist.

If I were to get another one I would try to find one like I saw in an ad in an auto magazine. It has longitudinal supports at the top of the posts allowing for the incorporation of a gantry crane that runs the length of the hoist. In fact I would like to find a gantry crane setup that would fit on my lift if it was available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts