The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that car that you always dreamed of...That one that makes you feel happy when you think about it at a very low time in you life? That is what I am looking for. I have lost my dreams and I am hoping that I can find it on this site, as I drove a MK2 supra, which was partially designed by lotus, and it made me feel a little better that day. Well, I am not in the market, but I do have a degree in Automotive Tech. Its a Bachelors, so I can talk about cars, but what I am really here for is to learn.

Thanks guys,

-Jer :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Good luck on your journey Hobomidget. Your mechanical background will probably assist you on your way.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
You've got a degree in Automotive Tech and don't already have 3 or 4 or 5 dream cars thought out? What kind of car guy are you? How can we guide/massage your dream car when you’ve given us nothing to start with?

Let me tell you why I own a Lotus…for one, I’ve never liked big cars and two, I’ve drooled over Lotuses ever since the early ‘70s…the Europa to be exact. Not the Renault powered one, but the Cosworth-Ford one. I’ve never driven a Lotus, only read about its legendary handling. The F-1 championships helped cement its reputation. I’ve owned a 1972 Ferrari Dino 246GTS, so I know what handling is all about. I’ve never even gotten my hands on a Lotus, until I got my 2009 Exige Cup 260…and it is the best handling car I’ve ever owned. It has easily lived up to its reputation. You can feel every feature of the road you’re on... the fresh new paint job on the stripes… the plastic bag that just flew across your path… the change in texture of the roadway as one truck’s load of asphalt was not the identical mix as the previous one’s… The one serious problem with all this feedback is that your passenger is basked in all of that too! It’s not that you have a passenger; it’s that there are not too many people on this globe that share this same passion I do and therefore don’t appreciate the feedback the car is emanating. My guess is that that this is why there aren’t that many Lotuses around…

Now give us something to go with…

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They have bachelors in auto tech? What school?

I had a hard time finding a place that had a legit associates program even.

I don't have a dream car. If it's got 3 or 4 wheels and an engine, I could probably like it .... with enough modifications.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know how I was first attracted to Lotus, but I know when it became permanent. I had the very good fortune to be allowed to work with a Chevy dealership racing team when I was still in high school. They had a Lotus 19/Traco Chevrolet Group 7 car that was beyond belief.

My dream car came a few years later when I bought a new 1967 Lotus Europa series 1. I still have it and my project is to bring it back to even more splendor than it had originally.

If you have the ability to absorb what a Lotus really is, you could have a lot of fun with one. Good luck with your search...

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have bachelors in auto tech? What school?

I had a hard time finding a place that had a legit associates program even.

I don't have a dream car. If it's got 3 or 4 wheels and an engine, I could probably like it .... with enough modifications.
That is how I am. I wan't to bring more class to my enthusiasm though, but I will work on anything. I am working on a cavalier z24 for a friend right now and I don't even like those. I think I found my home with Lotus though, I'll get there.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know how I was first attracted to Lotus, but I know when it became permanent. I had the very good fortune to be allowed to work with a Chevy dealership racing team when I was still in high school. They had a Lotus 19/Traco Chevrolet Group 7 car that was beyond belief.

My dream car came a few years later when I bought a new 1967 Lotus Europa series 1. I still have it and my project is to bring it back to even more splendor than it had originally.

If you have the ability to absorb what a Lotus really is, you could have a lot of fun with one. Good luck with your search...
What a great message. I hope for an experience such as the one you described too. I think that as some point you should see your car as an expression of yourself.

I am still looking, but I can tell so far that Lotus is not a bunch of hp stacked in a steel can. It's so much more. It's more intellectual. It's a lot of things. Fun being one of them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to the site. I too am of Toyota roots, still an avid MR2 enthusiast, will be for life. Would have owned a Supra by now as well, if it weren't for the fact that I have access to tons of them through friends!

Good luck on your search for "your" Lotus. They are truly special cars. I would not trade mine for all of King Midas' silver...

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Welcome to the site. I too am of Toyota roots, still an avid MR2 enthusiast, will be for life. Would have owned a Supra by now as well, if it weren't for the fact that I have access to tons of them through friends!

Good luck on your search for "your" Lotus. They are truly special cars. I would not trade mine for all of King Midas' silver...
If I had to be honest right now. I would say that my dream car is the Evora; And I can't afford to buy one.

Toyota's are great cars. The MR2's are really cool. I have driven a few of those and I like them a lot. I tried to get one, but the car lot didn't take my offer. I would have paid asking price, which was a lot for an 1985 ($2700), but I wanted them to replace the clutch. 1991's are way better anyway. It's crazy that Lotus is using Toyota engines. I am glad though. Toyota's are rock solid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts