The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im looking to get into a preowned car and need some help.. I really like the elise, but don't know if it fits my needs, maybe u experts can give me a hand. I drive about 50 miles a day to work (total) so gas is definitley something to consider, along with reliability and maintence. (ive heard nothing but good things about the elise) I understand the small space is hard to carry around cargo, but thats never an issue for me. I baby all my cars and never use the back seat or trunk, so its not too much of a sacrifice for me..

My 07 Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 lease has just ended and i DO NOT want to get back in there.
prior to that i had a 02 Audi TT 225 hp simply modded with a chip, exhaust, etc.
And before that i drove a monster truck 04 lincoln navigator which is a mortgage payment for gas so F that lol..

I drive on 287 every day here in northern NJ so if theres any people from the area, that wouldnt mind meeting up just to show me the basics.. that would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance for all your help..

Karim :cool:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
From your previous car history I'm not sure if this car is for you. The Benz, Audi are more GT sports cars and the Elise is a pretty hardcore lightweight no-nonsense almost track car. It's pretty reliable and if you can do your own work maintenance is reasonable but it honestly doesn't make for a great daily driver.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not an owner yet, but my average daily commute is a total of ~10 miles MAX, usually only 5. Ive gotten the chance to sit in/drive this, and with that amount of driving i feel it will suit me fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know what.. i never gave a reason as to why i got rid of my previous cars..

The 07 CLK.. i was basically counting down for the lease to end. I felt like it was just for looks(which began to bore..), no speed OR sound, and THAT stereo SUCKED. I would have it as loud as possible and be able to have a decent convo without raising my voice. (trust me, its that bad) Never again..

02 Audi TT.. I tried so hard to make this a track car (not drag strip, but a real track) I put a diverter valve (aka blowoff valve for germans) chip which put me from 225 hp to 275 immediatley, intake, and exhaust.. It just wasnt enought for me-- i wanted more.. but the only major upgrade to do was a turbo swap which is above $6000 just in parts..

04 nav.. 1 time, and 1 time only

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have an elise that I use for a daily driver, and I love it. But I'm the kinda guy that would be happy if I could put plates on a go kart... So for me it's perfect.
Only comments I have (after spending almost 20 years in Rochtster, NY), is that salt is going to be a huge problem, this is a car that you do not want to expose to a winter environment where they salt the roads...
Gas mileage is OK if you can keep your foot off the throttle (which I can't), so on average I get 20 to 22 MPG on my stop and go commute...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well during the winter time, and often enough in the summer.. i stay @ my cousins place.. its abt 2 miles from work (roundtrip!)

as for my commute.. mostly highway, sometimes theres an accident. I havent gotten pulled over since the audi days so im not too worried about the speed..

thanks for the responses guys.. and keep em comin!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
you know what.. i never gave a reason as to why i got rid of my previous cars..

The 07 CLK.. i was basically counting down for the lease to end. I felt like it was just for looks(which began to bore..), no speed OR sound, and THAT stereo SUCKED. I would have it as loud as possible and be able to have a decent convo without raising my voice. (trust me, its that bad) Never again..

02 Audi TT.. I tried so hard to make this a track car (not drag strip, but a real track) I put a diverter valve (aka blowoff valve for germans) chip which put me from 225 hp to 275 immediatley, intake, and exhaust.. It just wasnt enought for me-- i wanted more.. but the only major upgrade to do was a turbo swap which is above $6000 just in parts..

04 nav.. 1 time, and 1 time only

If you think the CLK stereo sucked, you have no clue what you're in for in the Elise. It'll be vastly worse. You certainly could get something marginal in the Elise, but due to the fairly noisy driving environment you'll probably never get to the level of quality you had in the CLK stock. (Now someone with a spectacular stereo in their Elise can prove me wrong...)
When you modded the TT for the track, it looks like you focused on straight-line acceleration. That's exactly backwards from what the Elise is good at. If 275 wasn't enough for you in the TT, I doubt 190 will be enough in an Elise.

I would take a test drive and see what you think, but I suspect you'll find it's much worse at the things that annoyed you about your old cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, a test drive is def coming up soon.. and i would love to get a walk-thru if anyone is aorund the northern nj area..

i was not looking for a straight-line acceleration with the audi, just a sportier car, overall-- i was expecting more from a german sports car blah blah blah lol

thanks guys

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, a test drive is def coming up soon.. and i would love to get a walk-thru if anyone is aorund the northern nj area..

i was not looking for a straight-line acceleration with the audi, just a sportier car, overall-- i was expecting more from a german sports car blah blah blah lol

thanks guys
What he meant was if you were focused to make the TT a track car, you upgraded the wrong areas, well that and trying to make a TT a track car is not the best idea.

I agree that your comments make the Elise seem like a poor choice for you, but only you can decide. Test drive one and see. Worst case you buy one and the people on here have another low mile used Elise to choose from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one im looking at has abt 10k miles and an 05.. all regular service maintenence has been performed, but is there anything else i should look out for?

I have been goin on the search here and i know to look under the front and rear cam to make sure there are no scratches.. along with the tires which seem like they do often need to be replaced, and also getting a flash report printed..

Is there anything else to look out for other than the basic exterior?

tia..

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The only real power upgrade to the Elise is a $6,000 supercharger. (Funnier to use the same price as he did, some number of thousands anyway.)

I get 28-30mpg, and I don't think I'm being that easy on the throttle.

Not for use in stop-n-go traffic on the freeway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well IF i got an elise.. i would not modify the engine in anyway.. i'd keep it stock, its good enough for me..

as for stop and go traffic, it does occur, but not too often to make me scratch the elise off the list..

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
We have some pre-owned 2005 in stock and I would be more than happy to set up a test drive for you.

Mileage will be in the high 20's with the Elise if you behave yourself relatively well. Reliability is very high. Not Honda Accord high but very good. Major mechanical issues are rare for non-tracked cars. Most things that do pop up are related to maintenance or lack there of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im getting a lot mixed feelings abt the elise.. i was in this position before when i was looking at the TT.. the forums there said some people do drive their TTs everyday and some use it as a weekender.. it seems like it will come down to my test drive, the audi test drive lasted almost 30 mins.. highway, city drivin.. literally everything..

thanks for all the help..

·
Registered
538 Posts
The TT, especially with its AWD, is much more of a daily driver than the Elise. That said, there are people who do drive their Elises day in and day out.

I had an SLK32 AMG and a 225 TT roadster prior to getting the Elise. However, I also owned 3 Miatas and would put the Elise much more in that category than the former two. My TT was chipped, had an upgraded suspension, exhaust, brakes; it didn't come close to the way the Elise handles. You have to consider even just the shear weight difference. As I recall the AWD 225 TT weighed in at over 3000 pounds (assuming you had a coupe and not the (even heavier) roadster). Also, if you had a TT coupe, you really can't imagine how small the boot is in the Elise. The Elise has much less usable space than the TT roadster, and immensely less than the coupe (where you can fold down the back seat and have a very large hatch area).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would think with a 50 mile commute, the stiffness of the suspension and inability to hardly hear the stereo at full blast over the significant road noise and engine noise would be enough to drive you batty. I love my Elise (esp. on the curves), but it definitely isn't a car for long trips, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My commute is 35 miles round trip and I enjoy using my Elise for it, but I also enjoy being able to drive something more comfortable when I'm not in the mood for that sort of abuse.

There's no way I could drive my Elise here in the winter. My road is often not plowed by the time I get home from work in the evening, let alone when I go in in the morning...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You'll be amazed with lack of many things in the Elise that you would think they would be standard in any other car! No power steering, no cruise control, no cup holders, no power mirrors, nearly useless A/C, nearly useless heater. The stereo is in par with the A/C and heater: almost useless. The ingress and egress is a acrobatic rite every time you get in/out. This is not a dragster. Every bump shakes off your dental fillings. The repair after a minor accident reaches astronomical proportions. The two piece fiberglass body is like an eggshell with no bumpers! Parallel parking is the car's death sentence!

What the car has is phenomenal handling, style and a reliable Toyota engine/drive train. It is an absolutely stunning sports car! That's why I love my Elise. I know what it does not have, and I love what it does have!

--Hal

·
Registered
401 Posts
You'll be amazed with lack of many things in the Elise that you would think they would be standard in any other car! No power steering, no cruise control, no cup holders, no power mirrors, nearly useless A/C, nearly useless heater. The stereo is in par with the A/C and heater: almost useless. The ingress and egress is a acrobatic rite every time you get in/out. This is not a dragster. Every bump shakes off your dental fillings. The repair after a minor accident reaches astronomical proportions. The two piece fiberglass body is like an eggshell with no bumpers! Parallel parking is the car's death sentence!

What the car has is phenomenal handling, style and a reliable Toyota engine/drive train. It is an absolutely stunning sports car! That's why I love my Elise. I know what it does not have, and I love what it does have!

--Hal
This is right on. It's a tough call if it's your only vehicle. As a second vehicle to go along with aplush ride/winter vehicle it's phenominal. At 18 to early 20's I could have managed with it, but the accidents would have "killed" me.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Rain || Snow = No Elise

Hydroplaning starts at 60mph, even with the stock tires, I can't imagine the A0048's on a rainy freeway!

I haven't tried snow. Not really possible down here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts