The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions? Well, it needs some mechanic work (mostly the little things, drivetrain is good) and the paint/interior can be refreshed. But it must be someone who is cost effective. for $100 an hour it would not make sense. maybe someone who has some downtime during the winter and can do the work at his/her garage.

Here is the car. not full restore but needs to be gone through.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/1988-lotus-esprit-turbo-se-2-2l-25k-miles-164305/

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
any suggestions? Well, it needs some mechanic work (mostly the little things, drivetrain is good) and the paint/interior can be refreshed. But it must be someone who is cost effective. for $100 an hour it would not make sense. maybe someone who has some downtime during the winter and can do the work at his/her garage.

Here is the car. not full restore but needs to be gone through.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/1988-lotus-esprit-turbo-se-2-2l-25k-miles-164305/
You won't get a pro for less than $100 an hour.

Treasured Motorcars in Reisterstown, MD know the cars inside/out, have an excellent Lotus mechanic. They work on a BUNCH of local Esprits. $125 an hour.

City Imports in Glen Burnie, MD is good, too. $110 an hour.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The best I could find was $ 75.00 an hour, locally and I had to make quite a few calls for it.

It was enough that I have decided to learn engines inside and out and rebuild my own. Best of luck with your rebuild. Josh

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I know a guy who will do for $50 and hour.. problem is he will probably take 2-3 times longer and not do as good a job as someone who knows what they are doing and charges $100+ an hour

anecdotal

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Yoram - you will have to decide how much you love that car. A first class paint job alone will be $10k. Yes it can be done for less, but not quality to match the car. A full restoration of a 1988 Esprit will cost more than the car is worth. That's ok if you just want it, but figure it all out before you start. Paint, interior, fuel tanks, tires, brakes, other mechanical. It can all be done.

One of the great things about the Esprit is they are affordable. Unfortuntely that works against you on a restoration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts