The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy an electric winch for my tilt bed open trailer and was looking for suggestions. There are so many options and I don't want to spend big $$$ for a winch when a $100 or less portable winch will do the trick. Looking for something to safely pull the Elise onto the trailer. I need to be able get it up on the trailer then can release the valve to level out the bed. I also need to move a couple of cars here soon for friends and neither one of them are running and I really don't want to have to try to push them onto my trailer. It would also be nice to have it removable so that it doesn't sit out in the elements. Also, what do people do to run the electric to the winch? Run a cable to the front of the tow vehicle or is there somewhere on the hitch wiring harness that I can tap into?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I would like to buy an electric winch for my tilt bed open trailer and was looking for suggestions. There are so many options and I don't want to spend big $$$ for a winch when a $100 or less portable winch will do the trick. Looking for something to safely pull the Elise onto the trailer. I need to be able get it up on the trailer then can release the valve to level out the bed. I also need to move a couple of cars here soon for friends and neither one of them are running and I really don't want to have to try to push them onto my trailer. It would also be nice to have it removable so that it doesn't sit out in the elements. Also, what do people do to run the electric to the winch? Run a cable to the front of the tow vehicle or is there somewhere on the hitch wiring harness that I can tap into?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

I'm going to camp here and await answers. I'd like to go with a remote up-down switch and cables to go to my truck battery. Not interested in wiring the trailer for it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Winch

I have had good success with Warn winches,esp the 3700,but it is overkill if $ are a chief concern. Warn also makes smaller 12v winches.They can be used with jumper cables to a 12 volt battery,or wired directly into the vehicle.
A wireless remote control is also a great thing to have.
Warn is nice because
high quality
nice prices(on Amazon)
best accessories,IMHO.ie a plate that fits over a towing ball to use the winch without attaching to a trailer,direct fit accessories------connectors,snatch blocks, wiring harnesses,all for the specific unit.
Really great customer service------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts