The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for tuning options for a potential turbo build. Any experience people have with aftermarket ECU's or piggybacks on the evora is appreciated.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am looking for tuning options for a potential turbo build. Any experience people have with aftermarket ECU's or piggybacks on the evora is appreciated.
No off the shelf kit yet. Several of us are waiting for someone to take the plunge and get a good shop to build a kit.

There is very few Turbo 2GR-FE engines out there even though there are lots of models that use this engine. My guess is that it may not be able to handle much boost and will require a built engine with a lower compression ratio and drivetrain upgrades to handle the amount of HP that we seek. There is also some concerns regarding the amount of heat being generated and that would be trapped under the hood.

The lower HP alternative would be to just go with a supercharger:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-supercharger-kit-109985/
Still waiting for an affordable SC kit as well. The TRD kit will likely be a good starting point but no one on this board has posted success in getting their hands on one yet. Too bad there is no Greedy Kit to kick off the revolution like with the 1.8L.

I like turbos much better as they are much more efficient. Maybe a lower PSI twin turbo kit may be the key. But with two BB turbos, things can get very expensive very quickly so again, the SC kit may be the better alternative unless you have deep pockets and are looking to push the boundary into uncharted territory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Supercharge..

Super charger is much more cost effective. If you aren't worried about money or how long the car will be in the shop ship it out to DRS and tell Kris and Aidan to figure something out for you and it will be right when you get it back.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would suggest Neil Trama as he did a lot of development on the 2zz.
Home

Or SSC

It would be hard to beat a MoTeC for performance.
The cheapest is whatever the tuner knows how to work with; as:
1) Dyno time can surpass the ECU cost pretty quickly.
2) The wiring and harness part also can be time consuming

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, I will get in contact with those sources.

For a standalone I have been in contact with EFI in regards to their Euro 8 ECU. So far it is the closest to a plug n play standalone for the Evora. Requiring minimum wiring and has the potential to drive the factory dash.

The tuning and fabrication are not an issue. I am just looking for the best tuning solution for the project.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ecu that will control everything would be Vi-Pec V88. They even have a submenu for the 2gr motor. Cost roughly 2500 starting.

I'm sure you have seen the 2gr buggy in Australia that's making 800hp. But his using Mo-tec forgot what model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts