The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody supply the red race ecu here in the US? Does Lotus still do a computer flash of this tune? I will be installing an alky control dual nozzle methanol kit this week and would like to get the ecu remapped, as the 97 tune is horrendous.. Some boost in the first 4 gears would be nice..

·
Registered
395 Posts
Does anybody supply the red race ecu here in the US? Does Lotus still do a computer flash of this tune? I will be installing an alky control dual nozzle methanol kit this week and would like to get the ecu remapped, as the 97 tune is horrendous.. Some boost in the first 4 gears would be nice..
I had my ECU re-programmed by Lotus earlier this year (had it programmed to FED hi torque -- aka yellow -- since full boost in first and second is pretty useless as you can spin the tires already anyway) so unless they just recently stopped providing this service then you can still have it done. I had it done via a regional Lotus dealer who arranged for me to send it to Lotus for reprogramming and they handled the billing and such.

Knut

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
You can order the red race chips from PUK and they provide a recommendation for a state-side installer on their website. Don't send your ECU to PUK. It could get lost in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
667 Posts
Keep in mind that the "high-torque" ECU update is considered "safe" and will definitely make the car faster and more fun to drive. I believe you can still get this done through Lotus USA and a dealer.

On the other hand, The "Red Race" ECU is considered somewhat dangerous unless you have upgraded the transmission and possibly some other bits to handle the power.

Some more info:
espritperformance

·
Registered
35 Posts
I has 97.. :(

Thanks though!
I am the one that has it for sale on Ebay as Sanj has pointed out.

I have had this ECM in my 1997 for a over a year in the past without any issues. But, there is an OBD II fuel pump relay error code that comes up that it is looking for that only exist on 1998 and newer model years. The CEL is on away because the cat O2 sensors not being read by ECM.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Keep in mind that the "high-torque" ECU update is considered "safe" and will definitely make the car faster and more fun to drive. I believe you can still get this done through Lotus USA and a dealer.

On the other hand, The "Red Race" ECU is considered somewhat dangerous unless you have upgraded the transmission and possibly some other bits to handle the power.

Some more info:
espritperformance
Respectfully, this is nonsense about the Red ECM being dangerous to the transaxle. What is dangerous is the gray matter between the ears that controls the accelerator pedal.

I have driven my car with Red Race ECM’s for over three years and had zero problems. You must exercise a degree of commonsense when driving.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree its all about how you drive your car.

But at the same time am I not wrong in saying the only difference in the RR vs HT ECU is that you get full boost in first gear?

Same HP and TQ numbers?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the red race ecu gives you a maximum boost of .9 bar and with lower iat's up to 1.0 bar.. That is why I'm installing the methanol, to keep the iat's low and to add a little octane to get max boost.. Do they both run the same timing? I thought the red race runs lower timing, as I will probably add a boost controller and t25/28 turbos later.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Respectfully, this is nonsense about the Red ECM being dangerous to the transaxle. What is dangerous is the gray matter between the ears that controls the accelerator pedal.

I have driven my car with Red Race ECM’s for over three years and had zero problems. You must exercise a degree of commonsense when driving.

Cheers,
Alan
I guess I go with a more cautious approach when someone is asking for advice about these (my understanding is that even the stock setup is close to what the transaxle can handle), but I agree that the added power can probably be manageable on a stock setup IF you are very disciplined about how you use it!

What sort of driving do you do with these? Any WOT in the lower gears?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not any 1st and second gear mashing of the throttle.. Maybe a little peddaling in second, not trying to shear half shafts.. Axle hop scares the crap out of me with the Esprit.. Basically highway roll on pulls from 3rd.. I will buid the transaxle if/when I go with new turbos. I have owned Esprits for 13 years.. Never had an issue with a transaxle.. Drive them like a sports car, not a bracket racer and they seem to live perfectly fine..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess I go with a more cautious approach when someone is asking for advice about these (my understanding is that even the stock setup is close to what the transaxle can handle), but I agree that the added power can probably be manageable on a stock setup IF you are very disciplined about how you use it!

What sort of driving do you do with these? Any WOT in the lower gears?
Espree, you are correct it really depends on what type driving you are doing or plan to do. I avoid WOT in first and second gear. I know UN-27 is not an M21 "rockcrusher" transmission and it will not with stand a great deal low speed hammering. Frankly speaking it does not matter which ECM is installed if you are going to do a lot smokey burn outs, you will trash the transaxle.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Pull the ECU and see if it is tagged with the High Torque upgrade. It may already have it. If it doesn't, it is a very worthwhile upgrade. Besides giving you boost in the lower gears it also fixes some communication issues which can make you fail inspection in some States. As for the red race ECU, to fully enjoy all of it's benefits there are other mechanical upgrades that should be done. For all that you can spend you are not going to be getting a whole lot more and if you do flog the car with it you can expect some expensive repairs. If you are not going to track the car the HTU is plenty for the average street driver. More than enough to get you into trouble! The money would be better spent on a driving course so you know how to handle the car with the HTU.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Lotus Red ECU provides the same boost levels as the stock and HTU ECUs, just un-restricted boost in 1-5 gears and no post O2 sensor monitoring, EGR activation, or SAI activation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its definitely not a hi torque ECU or anything but the 97 stock one.. I can confirm it by watching the boost gauge.. About .3 bar in 1-3rd it will get upto .6 bar at the top of 4th and all of 5th will give .6 bar. I'm guessing the waste gate springs are a bit weak since I don't get close to .75 bar.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I feel like it's 2002 all over again with this talk of replacing chips. It looks like we need someone in the Lotus community to dissect the ECU code and make it dynamic like all the new domestic stuff and a lot of import ECU's like Honda and Mitsubishi. I guess I'm spoiled by being able to change any ECU parameters like fuel and timing maps all with $500 software and a OBD1 cable. And being able to tune for E85 quickly gets rid of any thought of using methanol injection. I wish I had the skills to do this, I'm only a hobby tuner.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I feel like it's 2002 all over again with this talk of replacing chips. It looks like we need someone in the Lotus community to dissect the ECU code and make it dynamic like all the new domestic stuff and a lot of import ECU's like Honda and Mitsubishi. I guess I'm spoiled by being able to change any ECU parameters like fuel and timing maps all with $500 software and a OBD1 cable. And being able to tune for E85 quickly gets rid of any thought of using methanol injection. I wish I had the skills to do this, I'm only a hobby tuner.
I wish. But I am afraid we are just too few in numbers to have that skill in-house or to attract those skills from outside. With only 1,400 V8's ever made worldwide, and the normal attrition through accidents and engine swaps, and the small percentage of those that would pay to change their car from stock, there's just no market to justify the investment in the development.

In my case, it would have been great to change the ECU code to turn on the radiator fans at a lower temp, but I had to wire in new relays and switches to get it done.

I think a guy name Johan figured it all out and made custom ECU chips, but he’s out of the game.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts