The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
RegisteredUser of a Lotus
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Long time no speak which in my case is a good thing since nothing has gone wrong with my 2013 Evora S LOL. That said, I love the car but need some more sound! I saw several posts for the plack exhaust and spoke to Jeremy over there and I think I am going to go that direction but wanted to hear everyones thoughts first and see if anyone in the NYC metro area has one installed that I could take a listen to before purchasing. I love the fact that the evora has the exhaust flange that changes the exhaust note at the touch of a button but this would be eliminated with the new exhaust so I wanted to know what I was getting into first. Thanks guys and spring is finally here! :D

·
Lotus Rookie
28 Posts
I installed my plack just a few days ago. It can't be over stated: it is loud, especially high in the rpm range. That being said, I love it on my weekend evora s. If I had to DD the car maybe I wouldn't be so thrilled about it....

·
Registered
389 Posts
I built my own straight pipe like plack except I added a resonator to the piping to take the high pitch drone out. I drive my car daily and it helps big time. The car sounds like it should have come from the factory. I love the sound.

·
Hickory, NC
984 Posts
I removed mine for being too loud. It became a problem on long drives when we were trying to talk and the drone just never went away. It is a nice exhaust pipe as far as quality goes and gives the car a race sound but got old after about 2 days. I opted to modify the factory muffler and installed a cut out for those times when I wanted those around me to hear it. When it’s closed, it’s quiet and when it’s open, it turns heads

·
Registered
64 Posts
I removed mine for being too loud. It became a problem on long drives when we were trying to talk and the drone just never went away. It is a nice exhaust pipe as far as quality goes and gives the car a race sound but got old after about 2 days. I opted to modify the factory muffler and installed a cut out for those times when I wanted those around me to hear it. When it’s closed, it’s quiet and when it’s open, it turns heads
My 2011 Evora NA came with the Plack. While I like it, I have to agree that it is very loud. Have been looking at getting a Larini but have not pulled the trigger. I would love to see some details of your cut out as I would most likely do that since I still have my factory exhaust. On long drives, I wear the Etymotic High-Fidelity Earplugs (ER20XS) which provide about 20-30 decibel noise reduction.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Like anything in life, there will be some people who like it and others that don't.

A while back, I was going to install a Plack but I heard about the potential for drone (it doesn't help that our cars have all the rigid heat shields back there). So, I fabricated my own straight pipe and added a small resonator. (Actually, I built two pipes. One with a resonated tip and one with a resonator in the pipe.) I have no drone and can adjust the "fun volume" based on my right foot. I can also hold a conversation on the highway without a problem. Actually, if I really get on it, I think I hear more of the intake whine (BOE) since its in your left ear than the exhaust.

Prior to building the straight pipes, I installed a valved Larini with delete pipe. But, I think the straight pipe sounds much better. However, my car is not my DD.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow all great Information! Thanks guys! I think I won't be going with plack since I have been hearing a lot of the same thing that it is very very loud. That said, I am interested in hearing how Play-doh did the cut out and if you were able to maintain the use of the flange in sport mode? This would be ideal for me, thanks!

·
Hickory, NC
984 Posts
Wow all great Information! Thanks guys! I think I won't be going with plack since I have been hearing a lot of the same thing that it is very very loud. That said, I am interested in hearing how Play-doh did the cut out and if you were able to maintain the use of the flange in sport mode? This would be ideal for me, thanks!
It wasn’t easy but I was able to remove the third cat and install a remote controlled cutout in that location. If you have access to exhaust bending equipment then it’s not too bad, otherwise you will have to custom weld back to the muffler. Lots of trial and error with my custom diffuser making sure nothing hit, rubbed or vibrated. I also made sure that the cut out exhaust did not stick past the diffuser. Sport still works to change the parameters(mine is a MY11) so it never had the valve on exhaust. My guess is that you would have to delete that if you had it.
I too have the cold air intake and it really screams at higher rpm when I’m in quiet mode. When in open mode, this is like death metal meets F1
Some advice: Buy 2-3 motors because the wiring is cheap in these kits. Solder the wires and the end cap and wrap them in fire proof sheath kinda like the clutch line is.
Get power from the 12V interior plug so the remote doesn’t have to talk through the rear bulkhead.
Don’t over work it or it will stick open until it cools off.

If I had to do it over I would have chosen a manual cable to open/close this thing.
Overall it added about 4-5 pounds to my already heavy boat anchor exhaust but I love it

·
Registered
31 Posts
feel sorry for your neighbours if you install a plack... a very unsociable noise...

way too loud in my opinon, I made one it lasted 2 days on the car..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Too much hate for the Plack on here. I bought one used here on the forums and installed it in a couple of hours. Almost all of the time was spent getting the stock exhaust off. Loud? Heck yeah it is..... but now it sounds like it can run with the bulls. Run the car at low RPM's to keep the neighbors happy.

Reactions: Lckitty

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
^ I agree. I've never had a neighbor complain about my straight pipe. But, I am courteous when I drive away and do so slowly. The sound is completely controllable, at least with a manual.

·
Realtor
73 Posts
Agree with Chrome. I’ve never had a neighbor complain about my car being too loud, but I’ve received countless compliments on my cars sound. Out of courtesy for my neighbors, I keep the rpms below 2000 in my neighborhood and never punch it.

Plack (or a custom straight pipe in my instance) isn’t for the faint of heart, but if you like really loud cars, you’ll love it. If you like cars with more noise than stock, but think some people’s cars are too loud, you might want to look elsewhere. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ditto with what both Chrome and Cowboy stated. I have been running one for a couple years and the sound is absolutely controllable. It has a very nice deep sound when you start it up but it doesn't get loud unless you are flogging it. Normal driving around town, it is louder than the stock Lotus Sport exhaust it replaced. Cruising down the road....it's no louder than one of the big V8 cars rumbling by. It can get very loud and I can see where it is a turn off for some folks.

I will also say that it does drone if you keep it in a certain RPM range on the freeway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Straight pipe is the way to go. Sounds like the car should. I had a muffler shop do mine... Pretty much same simlar design as PLACK but used dual Black Tips. Was also over $200 cheaper installed and custom made. Would do it over again over and over if I have another Evora. No issues with Neighbors and I am in CA, which has a noise thing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've been dailying with a Plack for the past 3 years, and have cracked up around 65k miles with them. Nothing but love for the Plack. No complaints from any neighbors. Everyone thinks the car sounds awesome. Of course, it's all in how much you put down the pedal while puttering around your neighborhood. Pressuring down or lighten the pedal is second nature now that the wife and I have no issue talking in the car at freeway speed. I don't think I can go back to other exhausts. The only envy I have is for the Jag F-Type. That car has hands down the best v6 note straight from factory!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been dailying with a Plack for the past 3 years, and have cracked up around 65k miles with them. Nothing but love for the Plack. No complaints from any neighbors. Everyone thinks the car sounds awesome. Of course, it's all in how much you put down the pedal while puttering around your neighborhood. Pressuring down or lighten the pedal is second nature now that the wife and I have no issue talking in the car at freeway speed. I don't think I can go back to other exhausts. The only envy I have is for the Jag F-Type. That car has hands down the best v6 note straight from factory!
Same. I have plack exhaust on my Evora and enjoy it. Sure its abit loud, but definitely not obnoxious at all. If you straight pipe anything it will be loud to some degree. Too many people commenting on this thread about it being too lous must have never had a full exhaust set up on a muscle or sports car. So the plack exhaust was shockingly loud to them. For me, my past Mustang gt and even my current Corvette make my it sound rather quiet and tame.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same. I have plack exhaust on my Evora and enjoy it. Sure its abit loud, but definitely not obnoxious at all. If you straight pipe anything it will be loud to some degree. Too many people commenting on this thread about it being too lous must have never had a full exhaust set up on a muscle or sports car. So the plack exhaust was shockingly loud to them. For me, my past Mustang gt and even my current Corvette make my it sound rather quiet and tame.
I like my Plack even though it's a bit loud. I am going to make some measurements in the car to put some numbers around this so this does not end up being anecdotal. I had a BMW 540i with a Dinan exhaust. That was loud but in a nice way. If you know what I mean. None of the Italian exotics have straight pipes. They are tuned to sound musical and sonorous which is why I am looking at Larini. A straight pipe is just loud.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is what I did. I didn't end up taking too many pics since I got busy helping.

You can see the resonator in one pic and then the tip being welded on in the other. You can also see what we did for support. I do not like bolting exhaust directly to the body since there will always be flex so he had those brackets from a BMW sitting there and we ended up bolting those up to the car and used the rubber bushings to hang the exhaust from that. I have no fear of anything cracking now.

Honestly there is no drone because of the resonator and I get pops and gurgles for days with it not being loud. I drive it EVERY day and don't get tired of it nor do my neighbors complain at all. Although as someone already mentioned, I had a Mustang GT before this with a straight exhaust with X-pipe and free flow mufflers. Now that was loud so I'm sure everyone around me is thankful I no longer have that. hahahaha

Also I followed Chrome Orange's lead on this. He is the one who slapped a resonator on his and I followed suit

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put my foot down too often for the Plack, it has a great idle and low end rpm rumble but I wasn't interested in managing a feather light touch on my gas pedal. Lasted 2 days on my daily driver before I ordered a Larini.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow guys thanks for all of the input! I'm going to meet up with ROBRMON this Sunday here in New York assuming it doesn't rain to hear it first hand. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about! I'm almost certain I'll be going plack since the Larina, as nice as it is especially considering it has the valve for sport mode, is just way too expensive for my taste. I'll follow up with you guys in the coming week! Thanks for all the input!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts