The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No longer deciding. Pretty much set in stone on the Elise! Now it's just a matter of getting rid of the rx7

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Test drive a viper gts and then test drive a elise. Thats the only way to know for sure what car you actually want and belong in.

I love the Viper GTSs, i would personally be happy with either.

Good luck :up:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Agreed, a test drive will tell. It seems like you might be able to build out the Elise for less, so you could save some money for track days going that route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Building it shouldn't be an issue.

I've driven a few vipers already, fun cars.
I've yet to drive an elise.

Track days are something I really want to get into. I would want a quick car as well. I'm doing my research on the car now and am seeing that once the power has been made, it's the transmission that gives out. I'll continue researching but it seems like a fun project car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
well I've never driven a Viper. but after sitting in a few I'm not terribly impressed by their 'dodge pickup" interior. something about it (I think its the radio) drives me nuts. I feel like i'm sitting in a basic dodge pickup....and I hate dodge pickups....That alone will prevent me from ever buying one.

but as far as brute force the viper is hard to beat.

- I'm a lightweight sportscar "fairy boy" so I might be biased....but I'd buy the Lotus :D

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It would be difficult to get an Elise to top out close to the Viper. Even with engine mods, it would be difficult to get the Elise to go much faster than 150 due to its aerodynamics. In NA form it takes awhile to get from about 120 to its reported top speed of 150. I think you have a pretty good sense of the differences between the two cars: the Elise is light and nimble and the Viper is more of a beast. If you've never tracked a car I suggest you go for something with a little less torque than the Viper. I've seen a lot of people spin these cars because they can't handle the power. IMO its a lot easier to handle the Elise (just don't suddenly lift of the throttle or abruptly hit the brakes mid corner). If you're into straight line speed go for the Viper.
Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Top speed means nothing to me really. I'll have to get a ride in an elise and see if it tickles my fancy. They really are neat cars and are engineered greatly

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
These two cars share more similarites than differences. They are both elemental sports cars. Elise: Ball Pean Viper: 20 lb sledge but they are both "hammers". Ive nevver driven a viper but I would like too. My opinion is that a zo6 is better at being a viper than a viper, but an actual viper is a little more charismatic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the wife saw an elise today and fell in love with it! That pretty much makes the decision! If the wife gives approval....everything's great. Hopefully by the beginning of next year I'll be in the position to get into one of these. If you guys know anyone who's looking to get into a very fast and rare build of an rx7...let me know!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
With the price of gas likely to go up I would buy an Exige and build a motor. Anything close to 400WHP should be enough to go very fast, plus people look at a Viper on the street, but they take pictures of the Exige...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've had them both. Out of 33 cars the Elise is the only one I kept over a year and it's been a couple years now. But like everything it gets boring if you don't build it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i'm pretty set in stone on the elise. It doesn't take much power to go fast with these and I'd like to get more into the handling aspect of cars also, not just speed. I think this is a great car for that ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Seeing how you have a blown LS1 in a FC, I doubt the Elise will tickle your fancy. Especially if you want HP. I use to drive a supercharged Viper, and now own a Exige S240. The Exige in terms of acceleration is no where near what the Viper would do. The Viper won't turn like the Exige, but get on a front straight, and good lord... NOTHING could touch it. I feel like on a straight, I can't even keep up with GT3's.... :( I need more power...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i've had a few crazy cars as far as straight line power. But i'm REALLY starting to get over that phase. I still want speed, don't get me wrong, but I don't want anything over the top and I am really looking for something that handles like it's on rails and i love the simplicity of the elise. It fits the bill on everything i'm looking for. Just need a ride in one to confirm that, which i'm trying to arrange. I've still got a nitrous vmax in the garage if i feel like going in a straight line lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i am sorry i don't think the elise is for you, maybe you should consider the corvette Z06 or the viper. you have always been about speed. if you are tracking the car then i would say get the elise, but for a daily driver you are not going to like it that much b/c it lacks that straight line speed you like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've said it a few times now, I'm not looking for straight line speed. A bit of speed is always a plus but I'm looking to get into a car for the road course. I am going to be tracking the car and it is far from a daily driver. I appreciate the suggestion but your reasons why i shuoldn't get one aren't quite on target.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I owned and tracked a 99 GTS extensively. I also owned and tracked an Elise Sport 190 (1,500 lbs) and a Motorsport Exige (1,700 lbs) and currently own a Exige 240s. In comparing my old Exige to the Viper they were both great cars but very different. I could hit 170 on the back straight at Road Atlanta in the Viper, only about 135 in the Exige. My Viper could run a 1.39 at RA, the Exige, on slicks, would run a 1.40 or 1.41. The Exige was much easier to drive, the Viper was down right scary. The brakes were really the weak point on the car. I burned up rotors like mad on the Viper. I could run the Exige 10+ track days on one set of pads!

Drive them both and then decide. If you go with the Viper, plan on upgrading the brakes.

ps. I loved my GTS, one of the coolest cars I have owned and I've owned a lot of cars. I'd still have it but the dealer wrecked it when it was in for service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ouch! That's rough! I truly do plan on getting into an elise or exige. Getting the wifes approval was obviously a big step :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I saw a post on here where someone went from a hummer h1 to an exige....now that's a big difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts