The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am leaving for Basic training/Infantry school then Airborne school and SF prep and SFA training and i will be away for 6 months. After i get back i am going to be selling my CBR600RR and then i will be financially ready for a Lotus Elise/exige.

Now i was seeing if theres any advice anyone can give to a first time buyer that wasnt mention in the thread before.

First let me say that i am looking between a C6 Z06 (between 06-08) or a 05-08 Elise/exige. My last sports car was a WS6 trans am 00 with 380hp/390tq NA and 560/590 Sprayed. So i am familiar with the Lsx series motors in the Z06 and the GM cars in general. But I have always loved the Elise since i was a kid and i am forever attracted to the Exige S in Krypton Green.

So first is i want an exige S because of the looks and power they have but i will only be looking to spend 30k but willing to go up to 40k if i have to. But i am also ok with a elise and do some work to it myself like the forcefed system.

This will be my nice weather driver/ Occasional track car. Also my long distance car for when i want to visit the family (i will be driving from GA or NC to PA/CT often) so 8-12 hour highway drives. So if anyone has any tips for that as well i would appriciate it.

Last is HOW DO I FIND MYSELF A NICE KG ELISE/EXIGE i have been looking everywhere and i found one KG Elise in the country that is currently for sale. and it seemed pretty well beat on. Is there any tips on helping me find a KG Elise besides cars.com/this forum/ebay is there any secret to finding the right Packages and Color combo My goal is to find a Low milage (under10k) With the track pack with LSD. I am not worrried about the touring pack i like the raw sence it gives with out it. But my goal would be to find an Exige S with the track pack and LSD in KG but that seems like i am asking to much here. (and isotope green to me seems ugly compaired to KG i love lime greens and i am picky about them but maybe i need to see both in person).

But if theres anything you guys can help with let me know I will be in CT until September 4th i ship out and i get done with initial training in March/April. That is when i want to purchase one is by the summer. I have been reading up as much as possible now i would love to hear some hands on advice from real owners and drivers.

O and i have yet to see one in person besides a yellow one in Coatesville that would drive past every couple months, Or sit in or drive one so i am just expecting what i hear is true and what i see is true as well. Plus It just feels right like the first time i saw a KG Exige S it said I Will be yours, like waynes world and the white guitar

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Happy Memorial Day and thank you.

First, I hope that as a military service member, you don't get sucked into a lending scheme that makes your Lotus a ball and chain... (BTW, Dave Ramsey has some important advice for all military members that should be considered before taking loans.)

Assuming that you can find a reasonable way to finance the purchase, remember that you want to protect your investment with good insurance, and hopefully an enclosed garage. This way, you won't get stuck holding paper on a car you can't resell.

As for finding the best sellers, I think this forum is the best place to start. Classifieds here often allow you to learn things about the seller and their car before you get too far down the road. Many dealers don't have a clue about Lotus's or what to look for when taking them in, so you may find them to be a crapshoot. Good, established Lotus dealers, on the other hand, can be a great resource, but they have to make a profit too...

The real key is to do your homework up front (spend lots of time on L.T.), and know what you are looking for, and what is a good price. Make any offers predicated on the car being "as advertised", and subject to passing a good third party inspection. Be very careful with any damage history that could possibly effect chassis or suspension, as those things are not easily fixed.

Good luck finding a low mileage, well-kept Exige S under 40K... That would be quite lucky. finding that car in Krypton Green might be like finding a purple unicorn. Elise hunting will make color and quality combinations easier to find. More likely, decide what faults you can live with or repair on your own.

I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy Memorial Day and thank you.

First, I hope that as a military service member, you don't get sucked into a lending scheme that makes your Lotus a ball and chain... (BTW, Dave Ramsey has some important advice for all military members that should be considered before taking loans.)

Assuming that you can find a reasonable way to finance the purchase, remember that you want to protect your investment with good insurance, and hopefully an enclosed garage. This way, you won't get stuck holding paper on a car you can't resell.

As for finding the best sellers, I think this forum is the best place to start. Classifieds here often allow you to learn things about the seller and their car before you get too far down the road. Many dealers don't have a clue about Lotus's or what to look for when taking them in, so you may find them to be a crapshoot. Good, established Lotus dealers, on the other hand, can be a great resource, but they have to make a profit too...

The real key is to do your homework up front (spend lots of time on L.T.), and know what you are looking for, and what is a good price. Make any offers predicated on the car being "as advertised", and subject to passing a good third party inspection. Be very careful with any damage history that could possibly effect chassis or suspension, as those things are not easily fixed.

Good luck finding a low mileage, well-kept Exige S under 40K... That would be quite lucky. finding that car in Krypton Green might be like finding a purple unicorn. Elise hunting will make color and quality combinations easier to find. More likely, decide what faults you can live with or repair on your own.

I wish you all the best!
Thank you as for the loan i will have about 30k cash that is spendable, and i will be ok with taking a 10k loan out thats why 40k is my max. ALso thats why i am ok with an elise because i would rather have an amazing clean low miles elise than a high miles beat exige S.

I will read up on the military thing though you can never have to much info. also this site is amazing the guys and girls here seem great and not what the person thinks of the typical Elise owner. I am 22 now, and when i had my WS6 trans am when i was 18 I got the O Daddys car is nice dads car this that ... when it was mine with no help. So i pulled the Take a look at my paperwork and tell me whos it is, and im sorry i save my money for a nice car rather then spend it on something stupid...

Thats one reason why i am saving all my money up right now and the 6 months i am away I rather own an amazing car out right than buy designer clothes and watches, or go to the bar. But thank you i am trying to learn as much as possible, and if anyone finds some for sale over the winter PM them to me so i can see if there still there once i get out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There's just a LOT of fraudsters that take advantage of military personnel. At fort lewis we had a guy in our brigade sign a loan and his interest rate was FOUR THOUSAND PERCENT!!! You just have to avoid the people that claim to cater to the military (except USAA of course).

That aside, any mistake I have ever made in my life was made impatiently. Youll do well, and it seems you are already on the right track.

Designer clothes+partying/booze OR Lotus, I chose lotus.

P.S. Air Assault > Airborne :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's just a LOT of fraudsters that take advantage of military personnel. At fort lewis we had a guy in our brigade sign a loan and his interest rate was FOUR THOUSAND PERCENT!!! You just have to avoid the people that claim to cater to the military (except USAA of course).

That aside, any mistake I have ever made in my life was made impatiently. Youll do well, and it seems you are already on the right track.

Designer clothes+partying/booze OR Lotus, I chose lotus.

P.S. Air Assault > Airborne :D
I am a 18x special forces Candidate.....
So SF>air assault
I have to do infantry school and airborne as a prereq. and well hope i qualify and pass my SF assasement... cant wait to go to two weeks in hell(well now its three weeks) at fort bragg

·
Registered
322 Posts
I saw a lot of cars on autotrader.com. Also if you look at each individual Lotus dealer site around the country, they list used cars all of the time.

I was lucky enough to find mine on eBay :D

Good luck in training and thanks for your service.

Happy Memorial Day.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am a 18x special forces Candidate.....
So SF>air assault
I have to do infantry school and airborne as a prereq. and well hope i qualify and pass my SF assasement... cant wait to go to two weeks in hell(well now its three weeks) at fort bragg
Just poking fun dude. You have a LOT of work a head of you, and 3 weeks in hell is just the beginning of it.

I like SF, b/c every ranger I ever met was a D-Bag. SF are silent professionals.

BTW I was a 25S (satcom), ended my enlistment last year for medical and got-tired-of-it reasons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just poking fun dude. You have a LOT of work a head of you, and 3 weeks in hell is just the beginning of it.

I like SF, b/c every ranger I ever met was a D-Bag. SF are silent professionals.

BTW I was a 25S (satcom), ended my enlistment last year for medical and got-tired-of-it reasons.
Really how did you like 25 sierra my best friend leaves Saturday for BCT and thats his MOS
I know you were i was jk also. Its amazing how all the branches hate each other well make fun of each other but then inside each branch all MOS's make fun of each other. I have been finding that out but then when it comes down to it your all brothers in arms when your on the line together...

But why did you get tired of it if you dont mind me asking, I am hoping to get deployed after all my training and with the SF if i make it who knows where that deployment might be

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also guys that was my reasoning to my Fiance when i told her i will be spending 30-40k On a Lotus.... She gave me the why do you need that just get a "regular car"... I tryed to explain to her that this is more than a car and well she will see why after she rides in it and takes it out on the track...

Well my reasoning was I want to get deployed and If i do i want to have something Fun and Enjoyable before i do, that way im not in a desert saying Man i cant wait to go home and buy this.. It will be man i had fun last week at the track. Lifes to short to save all your money right....

And she hated that excuse It made her so mad to hear i want to deploy that she forgot all about the money:D Also the I signed 6 years of my life away i can buy one Toy that i will Love and have fun with didnt go over well either.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Have fun on sand hill. You wont want to even see a beach for years to come haha!!

Fox 2/58 sounding off! Good luck, its hot as hell, and muggy as $#!^... this time of year at Benning. But the scenery is beautiful! Until you drop haha.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Good luck on your time in "fun camp", I found the schools attended as some of the best experiences in the military. The tougher they were, they more fun they were.
As long as you remember it is just a head-game, you will do well. In SF school they want to make sure you keep thinking, even when you are exhausted to your limits. Take care of your feet/ankles/knees, they are show-stoppers if they get gorked up.

·
He's on fire!
3,207 Posts
you're just gonna have to keep an eye out. not many kg elise/exige out there and the number of lotus for sale has been going down. If you're dead set on all your requirements you may be waiting for quite some time, so be patient!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
FWIW - (air force vet) :)

Go find the cleanest low mile car you can find, $25 -30k. Upgrade w/ a REV 300/400 supercharger/biggger clutch - will bring you up to 275-315 WHP, more than the Exige 270. Get the full toe links also , if not previously installed/upgraded. I find it doubtful you won't go without the sc long judging by the cars you are looking at. By the time you are done, you'll have 36k - 41k in it. This is the path I took, and it's an amazing result.
Most importantly is patience. Your search might end in March, but it might take a year of daily looking. It's worth it.

·
He's on fire!
3,207 Posts
you'd better test drive one before you spend all this time on it. no matter how much power you put into one of these it will not compare to what you've had or a vette in a straight line, unless you want to spend a vette's worth of money on driveline anyway.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
that's a good point - it's a very fast car at 300 hp, but it's always been about curves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i want a good Track/auto X car thats another reason why i want an elise. Of course i want some good straight line power, But i am more worried about 0-60 and 0-100 Not top speed.

My goal is to have a great track car with a 3.5 sec 0-60 low 12 sec qrt mile and some extreme braking 90-100 ft distance

Anyone know what has to be done to get those goals set, I was thinking 280-290hp and a good brake kit. should do the trick??

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
FWIW US Navy Chief active Duty stationed in FL.

kpeene931 It sounds like you have a pretty well thought out plan and I hope you will have 30K saved up for a car. In the military your first year or 2 of income is not that great to say the least. If you rank up fast the money gets better.

If you need to finance a portion of the price of the car stick to your goal of close to 10K and shop around for finance options at your bank and even the dealer. You may also want to get a longer term so your payments are low and you will have a bit more flexibility with your pay checks 10K financed would be a monthly payment of over $200. You could also find an Elise for 30K like komiko said and have the ultimate flexibility with your money having a paid for car and no payments!

Having a second car around is also a good idea. Sometimes you might need to haul something bigger than what an Elise or Exige can handle. Unless you are a DIYer with all the tools, time and place to work on these cars repairs at the dealership can get a little expensive. Tires are about $1200 a set with the rears only lasting 8000 miles but there is alternatives out there for them that are less expensive and last longer. Oil changes at the dealership for me are $168 but I can do my own for less than $60

Of course once you get your hands on the car you are going to want to make it better so keep that in mind when buying the car and what your payments will be compared to your disposable income.

It is true you only live once and if you have a passion for something go for it. Congrats on your decision to enter the military it is a tough, challenging but rewarding career if you chose to make it a career. I wish you luck in your training and on your quest for a Lotus!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
a few folks are in the 11's at the quarter mile, running rev400's w/ built motors. My car still has the factory cat & header - it's street car, and is 335hp at the flywheel, 292hp at the wheels. Stock motor except for the rev400. You are probably going to decat = + 25 hp?. My street car is well under 4 seconds 0-60, i don't know exactly because i have never timed her, but i think you can get what you need for your upper limit of 40k, especially if your turning the wrench, buying the kit. Grab a clam hinge too. Clutch & toe links. For alot more you can take it over 400hp, but that can be twice the mod money. The brakes are fine imo. You might want pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Komiko I will be in touch with you in a couple weeks i will take the trip up to stop by and take you up on that.

This will be the Frequent Driver for me, My fiance (wife before i leave) has a 08 VW rabbit, so that is perfect for everything that we need, right now we are dealing with me just having a CBR600rr, I sold my car since i have no use for it. Things seem to work out fine with having her car as the Safe all weather vehicle. Its great in the snow and i actually Love her VW.

Yes i will work on everything myself, so i am not worried about that, She did give me If you spend all that money on that car Dont let it be a "money pit" and i just said Of courseeee nottttt........:evil:

My three biggest things for hobbies in my life are Hockey Firearms and Cars. The army will take care of the Firearms part, Hockey is there also, SO that only leaves the car part. So i am up for the challange of building one Crazy Elise.

Ultimate goal- Take the motor out build a bullet proof bottom end and a decent Supercharged or turbo Kit up top to have 350hp to 400hp that will Never break down. I want a RELIABLE 350hp that will drive across country with out a hiccup. Because I will want to do the Hot rod power tour, or other Long distance shows with it.

Also I want this to be a bonding thing for me and the wifey. She will Learn how to drive stick THEN she will learn how to drive the elise, and Eventually i want to get her to be a great driver around that track and can push herself and the car to the limits. What a better husband wife thing to do.
As for the road course thing My dad bought a Nascar Sprint Cup car that has been completly rebuilt and he is starting to take that to the track, Wouldnt it be nice to pass him in an elise :coolnana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts