The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to this forum, but have been on the Esprit forums for years. I have spent the last 3 years totally rebuilding a wrecked Esprit which has been a ton of work, but really rewarding as well. Either way I am now looking at getting a used Elise from a (non Lotus) dealer. The car is beautiful with low millage and is the color and has the options that I want. The ONLY problem is the CarFax has the car listed as having been in a front end accident. The car was fixed and then driven around for several more years and was then picked up by this dealer. My question is should I be concerned about the Elise having been in a front end accident? I know Lotus says that the front crash frame can just be removed and a new one bonded in place, but are there going to be problems down the road? The car looks like it was fixed properly, but who can ever be sure. I am really hesitant because of the accident report, but this car is right in my price range and its exactly what I want!

Any comments would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ask the dealer what the history of the car is. If they hide it,, pass. If they're honest then thats a plus. Car should be under 25k though!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I repaired this to better than new and the crash structure as well, granted I know what I'm doing, but you should be fine. A lot of Elise's have been repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the VIN: SCCPC11176HL32206
The dealer is a non lotus dealer so they really don't know anything about Lotus because they got it on a trade. However, I managed to find the dealer who originally sold the car and serviced it and will be giving them a call on Monday. I guess my main concern is that the chassis is in good shape. I am "assuming" that if the damage was at all severe ie more than a front crash structure it would have needed a new chassis. To replace the front crash structure do you need to temper the adhesive like they do during the original chassis construction? Also what is the story on the front clam? Do people repair those or is it easier to just order a new one?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
The front crash structure is attached with a room tep curing adhesive - different to the chassis adhesive. In terms off clam replacement rather than repair there are two points - firstly it is unlikely that much was left of the original if the crash structure was damaged - and secondly the fibreglass is very thin (2mm) and not easy to repair beyond minor damage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? I assume the only people that fix these cars usually are Lotus dealers?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
That would not be a wise assumption. There are many threads on this board dealing with individuals attempting to repair damaged cars, some including chassis damage.

I would inspect all suspension attachment points and the materials surrounding same for any signs of something being damaged or any signs of previous repair.

xtn

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the car scheduled to be inspected by a Lotus dealer. We shall see!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts