The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
selling my current car a porsche 997..
and looking to replace it with a lotus..
any advice on what to look for? what to avoid?
how hard is it to work on this cars..im use to doin my own work..

·
Registered
548 Posts
What city are you in? Members may have a recommended mechanic as your backup.

A good starter thread:

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
The main thing for me on the maintenance or modification front is that they are tight. Gaining access can take time but the parts are light and there is a lot of info out there/here on diy. But since you are used to a Porsche, you'll not be shocked. There is an active used parts and aftermarket parts marketplace.

You should probably check out the power to weight ratio of the various options since I guess you'd be sensitive to that.

Think about safety and visibility too. These are not M3s.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,661 Posts
You don't have enough posts to be able to PM, at least on the "old" forum. I did see a post recently alluding to a new member being able to PM. When you have the ability, PM me and I'll send you my contact information. I'd be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the different "Elige" (Elise and Exige) models. It won't be a sugar-coated discussion, but I will give you an honest analysis.

There's a forum member here that is on the East Coast and recently bought an Exige here on the West Coast with a bit of assistance from me. His Porsche now feels like a heavy sedan in comparison. Once you drive an Elige, your opinion of other cars will forever change.

San

·
Registered
92 Posts
selling my current car a porsche 997..
and looking to replace it with a lotus..
any advice on what to look for? what to avoid?
how hard is it to work on this cars..im use to doin my own work.. View attachment 1255158
My advice would be to test drive one before you sell your 911.

Elise/Exiges will make your 997 feel like a boat in comparison. It will absolutely recalibrate your definition of a driver’s car. There are very few vehicles at any price that offer a driving experience as visceral and connected.

With that said, you can roadtrip a Porsche in relative comfort and the quality of materials and fit/finish is better. The creature comforts in an Elige consist of AC, which works until the engine heats up, and power windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,661 Posts
My advice would be to test drive one before you sell your 911.

Elise/Exiges will make your 997 feel like a boat in comparison. It will absolutely recalibrate your definition of a driver’s car. There are very few vehicles at any price that offer a driving experience as visceral and connected.

With that said, you can roadtrip a Porsche in relative comfort and the quality of materials and fit/finish is better. The creature comforts in an Elige consist of AC, which works until the engine heats up, and power windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I wanted to take an extended road trip, I'd choose a different vehicle than an Elige. I've driven it about 4 hours away from home and it was fine. Pick the right tool for the job.

You need to have your AC recharged. My AC is fine, and I'm in Southern California. I'm sure if I had my AC recharged, it would be even better, but I haven't felt the need in nearly nine years.

San

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I sold my 2009 Carrera S after hardly putting any miles after purchasing my Lotus Elise SC. Driving a Lotus Elige will ruin your experience with any other sport car. Eliges are pure and raw, a drivers car. It's a street legal go kart. Mind you, I used these cars as a hobby and not as a primary vehicle. I used to do the maintenance on the porsche. The Elise's parts are very economical compared to Porsche parts.
image2.jpeg

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I’ve owned two Porsche‘s (993 & 997 C4S) while I owned both a Lotus Elise then two Lotus Exige S. I sold the Porsche’s as they just sat in the garage while I drove the Lotus’ everywhere (not as a primary car).

Nothing handles like a Lotus.

As previously mentioned, these are not “touring cars”. After 4 hours in the seat of a Lotus Elise/Exige your tired and getting uncomfortable VS the Porsche you could drive all day.

Get a supercharged Lotus. Coming from a Porsche you are going to want the additional HP and more importantly the torque.

Maintenance and parts are ridiculously inexpensive compared to Porsche. That being said, some maintenance requires either the rear or front clam off which is a royal pain (although not hard). Make sure the oil line recall has been done, a new aluminum radiator has been installed and the original resistor pack (for the fan blower motor) has been replaced with the new modified version. All which require the front clam off. If not, price the car accordingly. Check the cam lobes for wear. Some cars have excessive wear and they need to be replaced.

·
Vendor
3,102 Posts
These cars are really quite easy to work on. Invest in the clam hinge(which we sell) and everything is alot easier. Mods are inexpensive. Chassis is the best in the world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the reaponses.. my daily already has a 2zz engine.. an 05 corolla xrs.. so it got me thinking about the lotus.. i rarely drive the porsche anyways.. lack of time.. but for that one day a year i get to drive it maybe i should get a car that is a bit more fun.. also after the 911 the lotus was the next car on my bucket list..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Make sure you enjoy working on your vehicle. The Lotus will break. Then you will fix it. Then it will break. Over and over. It wasn't designed to last and the engineers took a lot of shortcuts. It's really really really fun to drive when it runs though!

·
6,661 Posts
Make sure you enjoy working on your vehicle. The Lotus will break. Then you will fix it. Then it will break. Over and over. It wasn't designed to last and the engineers took a lot of shortcuts. It's really really really fun to drive when it runs though!
Nonsense. I've had my Exige for almost 9 years and the only real issue I've ever had was a leak in my aftermarket radiator. The Elige is very reliable, as nearly everyone will attest.

San

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Completely disagree with this statement as I have owned 2 Elise ‘s and 2 Exige S’s. Two of these were track cars and driven very hard. They are one of the most reliable sports cars on the market (except for the Mazda Miata which is bullet proof).

I‘ve also owned a number of “classic” Lotus cars. Those I can talk about all day long about fixing on a regular basis.

·
6,661 Posts
Completely disagree with this statement as I have owned 2 Elise ‘s and 2 Exige S’s. Two of these were track cars and driven very hard. They are one of the most reliable sports cars on the market (except for the Mazda Miata which is bullet proof).

I‘ve also owned a number of “classic” Lotus cars. Those I can talk about all day long about fixing on a regular basis.
Thanks for chiming in. I too have had nothing but good things to say about my 2007 Exige S. It's been driven hard and put away wet (that's an expression for you young whippersnappers) and it is extremely reliable. You obviously have more experience with the Elige, so your feedback is extremely useful.

San

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Totally false statement. My Elise SC has been extremely reliable and cheap to maintain.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
You guys are being harsh :)

I do find that they need quite a bit of maintenance if you thrash them or if your local roads are bad, but mostly if you are type-A. :)

·
6,661 Posts
You guys are being harsh :)

I do find that they need quite a bit of maintenance if you thrash them or if your local roads are bad, but mostly if you are type-A. :)

Nobody has been "harsh". Being type A has nothing to do with the ability/inability to aggressively drive a car without breaking it. Some can't help breaking things whereas others with the same equipment have no issues. Skill.

San

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 Elise. I flew down to the bay area yesterday, bought it, and drove it home to Portland up 101. It took 15 hours seat time. I had never driven an Elise before.

I was shocked how good I felt when I got home. I've felt worse after driving a day in our Sprinter van than after this trip. I'm not going to say that the Elise is an easy or comfortable ride, but I can attest that after 5 hours yesterday then 10 today, I wasn't a zombie.

When I got home, I needed to move my Dad's Merc SLK 250 out of the driveway to get my new baby in. It felt like a total boat. I mean, it's hardly a sportscar, but man.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts