The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around here learning about the Elise. My wife and I are seriously looking at owning one. I don't see many Elises around and when I do... I just can't stop looking at it. Perhaps it's a sign to purchase one.:D
We are looking at purchasing an 05-07. Love to have an 08, but have had enough with depreciation to even think about buying another new vehicle.
Please feel free to educate/advice me on the best year,options, etc.
Any info is much appreciated.
TIA.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just spent the better part of a year reading, researching, checking ebay and the various used car websites... and I finally just found "the one".

I am certainly no expert, and I humbly bow to those on the forum with more knowledge than I. However, I can offer you some advice based on what I've learned.

If you plan on using it as a daily driver or weekend cruiser, you will want to consider getting one with the Touring Pack but not the Sport Pack. You can tell the difference by the wheels-- the ones with the sport pack have the dual-fork spokes (each spoke has a cut out in the middle). Not sure if that's the right terminology, but that's how you can usually tell. Anyway, the reason being that the sport pack offers a stiffer ride than the regular suspension set up. The touring pack gives you some amenities like leather seats, leather door panels, sound deadening etc.

Personally, I waited until I found an '06 model rather than an '05. In 2006, Lotus improved the seats and made them more comfortable. Some drivers, however, prefer the older seats. They also added LED rear lights which I think just plain look cooler than the old bulb ones (many will argue that they light up 'faster' too and are thus safer, but who knows...)

There were some other changes too, like drive-by-wire throttle, and an improved pedal set. Most of the changes were rather subtle, and do not amount to a night-and-day difference.

Other than that, an '06 might at least have a little bit of warranty left on it, whereas an '05 at this point would probably be expired.

One big thing I found is that the asking prices of the '05's and '06's are very, very close and in some cases the '05 prices are even higher! I don't know if sellers are just overly optimistic about what the cars are worth, but I have seen many '06's priced below a comparibly-equipped '05. Not that there's anything wrong with the '05's of course-- but personally I just felt better about getting an '06.

I also was determined to get one with a hard top, which many do not have (only the soft top). A used hard top (if you could find one in the same color as your car) would probably cost you about $1400... so getting one with the car is definitely a big plus.

That's about all I can think of right now... I am sure others can elaborate further. Good luck in your hunt for "the one".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spent the better part of a year reading, researching, checking ebay and the various used car websites... and I finally just found "the one".

I am certainly no expert, and I humbly bow to those on the forum with more knowledge than I. However, I can offer you some advice based on what I've learned.

If you plan on using it as a daily driver or weekend cruiser, you will want to consider getting one with the Touring Pack but not the Sport Pack. You can tell the difference by the wheels-- the ones with the sport pack have the dual-fork spokes (each spoke has a cut out in the middle). Not sure if that's the right terminology, but that's how you can usually tell. Anyway, the reason being that the sport pack offers a stiffer ride than the regular suspension set up. The touring pack gives you some amenities like leather seats, leather door panels, sound deadening etc.

Personally, I waited until I found an '06 model rather than an '05. In 2006, Lotus improved the seats and made them more comfortable. Some drivers, however, prefer the older seats. They also added LED rear lights which I think just plain look cooler than the old bulb ones (many will argue that they light up 'faster' too and are thus safer, but who knows...)

There were some other changes too, like drive-by-wire throttle, and an improved pedal set. Most of the changes were rather subtle, and do not amount to a night-and-day difference.

Other than that, an '06 might at least have a little bit of warranty left on it, whereas an '05 at this point would probably be expired.

One big thing I found is that the asking prices of the '05's and '06's are very, very close and in some cases the '05 prices are even higher! I don't know if sellers are just overly optimistic about what the cars are worth, but I have seen many '06's priced below a comparibly-equipped '05. Not that there's anything wrong with the '05's of course-- but personally I just felt better about getting an '06.

I also was determined to get one with a hard top, which many do not have (only the soft top). A used hard top (if you could find one in the same color as your car) would probably cost you about $1400... so getting one with the car is definitely a big plus.

That's about all I can think of right now... I am sure others can elaborate further. Good luck in your hunt for "the one".

You are on my page. These are the things I look for. I definitely want the hard top. Is there a place to store the top while driving?
I am also planning a test drive in the Tampa area, any dealer besides Dimmitt?

Thanks again

·
Registered
205 Posts

just make sure to leave your checkbook at home.
I test drove one recently; bad idea.
It just made me want one more!;)
When you do pull the trigger on one, my advice is to just get exactly what you want. Life is short and blah blah blah, so it's nice to be able to daydream about tearing it up in your ride while you are at work on a Tuesday morn'.
Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are on my page. These are the things I look for. I definitely want the hard top. Is there a place to store the top while driving?

Thanks again
Re: the hardtop, unfortunately no; it wont fit in the trunk or anywhere else in the car. The soft top rolls up and fits in the trunk.

·
Registered
274 Posts

just make sure to leave your checkbook at home.
I test drove one recently; bad idea.
It just made me want one more!;)
When you do pull the trigger on one, my advice is to just get exactly what you want. Life is short and blah blah blah, so it's nice to be able to daydream about tearing it up in your ride while you are at work on a Tuesday morn'.
Best of luck with your search.

Also take a peek at Reeves but I would recomend Dimmit as they are an actual Lotus dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys... You all are just as enthusiastic and helpful as the guys on NSX forum.
I'm sure there will be more stupid questions from the newb.:)

Life is short...this is why I want a Lotus.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am in Tampa, what I did was rent one for a day from these folks:

http://www.tampabaydreamcars.com/index.asp

It convinced me that I wanted one, and the fellow who runs it is a good guy. I think it was $200 or so for the day--money well spent.

I bought mine from Lotus Beverly Hills and had it shipped, both to get a good deal and to get the color/options I wanted.

Took it to Dimwits, I mean Dimmitts for the 1000 mile service a week ago. I had three things that needed to be fixed (window rattle, seat squeak and alarm fault)--they managed not to fix any of them. Sigh.

Still love the car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks guys... You all are just as enthusiastic and helpful as the guys on NSX forum.

Well I for one will not refer you to the search function. Feel free to ask away. If I cannot answer I will see what I can find to point you in the right direction.

I'm a bit of a newb here but I manage to find the info I need pretty well on forums.

·
Registered
274 Posts

It convinced me that I wanted one, and the fellow who runs it is a good guy. I think it was $200 or so for the day--money well spent.

Cool find. They even have that Ford "rod". now a MINI only $111 less than a Lotus weekly is odd. Now that Maserati is nice too.

In addition I know Dimmit has an '05 right now that can be driven, but $200 seems a fair price to allow you a day to experience it better.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
'05....the best Elise ever.

And there's a throttle cable...not steering by computer.

Just get one! rotfl

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts

The time is now! :cool:

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
'05....the best Elise ever.

And there's a throttle cable...not steering by computer.

Just get one! rotfl
My '06 does not steer by computer either. -poke-

I concur - just get one! :shift:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I bought mine from Lotus Beverly Hills and had it shipped, both to get a good deal and to get the color/options I wanted.

Took it to Dimwits, I mean Dimmitts for the 1000 mile service a week ago. I had three things that needed to be fixed (window rattle, seat squeak and alarm fault)--they managed not to fix any of them. Sigh.

Still love the car.
Good advice. A ten minute test drive is always a joke.
I know the feeling with dealers not attempting to fix what is warranted.
Acura is doing the same thing to my NSX. I guess squeaky wheels get the oil.

Many of you guys here use it as a DD? If so, do you recommend it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts