The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Nice car! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

When they ask the price might not tell them it’s close to their family sedan. I used to say “Under 100!”

Looks to be pretty much stock, the most valuable ones. Danger, once we get started modding we quickly find there is no turning back and then you’ve got $80,000 in it and a trailer and tow vehicle and 100 track days. Has happened to plenty of us.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yours looks good!
My favorite was “let me guess, $200,000?”
I just laughed and said “not quite”. Then as they were driving away I heard them say “I told you it was more than that!”

·
Registered
6,510 Posts

When they ask the price might not tell them it’s close to their family sedan. I used to say “Under 100!”

Looks to be pretty much stock, the most valuable ones.
Agreed. I’ve owned 3 Elise and 2 Exige, and am pondering jumping back in. This time around I’m drawn to cars as bone stock as possible. My first Elise is the OP car’s twin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Looks to be pretty much stock, the most valuable ones. Danger, once we get started modding we quickly find there is no turning back and then you’ve got $80,000 in it and a trailer and tow vehicle and 100 track days. Has happened to plenty of us.
yes; I know what you mean. I did do some internal upgrades; flywheel, cluch upgrade, new radiator, new header, brakes and slotted rotors.

got some CF replacement stuff but that’s all I’m doing!

its perfect and under 50k$

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yours looks good!
My favorite was “let me guess, $200,000?”
I just laughed and said “not quite”. Then as they were driving away I heard them say “I told you it was more than that!”
Hysterical. I haven’t gotten the $ question yet; but I got “how fast does that go?”
By which my answer has been; don’t know yet!!!!😜

·
Administrator
Exige S260
1,962 Posts
People will absolutely ask you how much the car is, you gotta be creative with the answers.

·
2006 Exige
701 Posts
People will absolutely ask you how much the car is, you gotta be creative with the answers.
All the time. I just tell them the current value. They always seem disappointed.

500hp? V12? They are also disappointed to hear it only has 190hp with 4 cylinders.

How fast does it go? That is another disappointing answer for them.

I always just tell the truth and don't give any 'smart' answers.

Many do assume it is a newish car. I'm always quick to say it is from '06.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I'm astounded as well from people's reaction to my Evora 400. I get the price question about 25% of the time during conversations.
My reply is "It's about $40 per pound" They ponder for a second and then "How much does it weigh?" to which I reply " about 1406 kg." Usually takes a few seconds to digest all that. Keeping a grin during all this gets a funny reaction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Love your color! The first Elise I test drove was that Bordeaux color. That drive and that particular car left a deep impression on me.

And yes, folks seem to way overestimate the cost. And they notice my Chrome Orange Elise more than my Miami Blue Cayman GTS, which is not a shrinking violet.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
yes; I know what you mean. I did do some internal upgrades; flywheel, cluch upgrade, new radiator, new header, brakes and slotted rotors.

Thanks for the reply!
“I do not have a problem, I can stop any time”

·
Registered
7,078 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
Sounds like good sensible mods. Might take a look at the coolant canister, they get brittle with time.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Who is to say certain mods in all areas can be considered improvement in function if not form? At anyrate that conversation can go back and forth till the end of cars. I guess people just don't see them much or often and they were in video games. I can't think of any popular culture references to the eliges? They are often bright, tiny, curvy, and have lots of attitude.So they draw eyes to focus more intently on what they are, might be. Car enthusiasts almost always know what they are. I always tell the truth as well. they could get in a base unit / rebuilt that needs love for 20k, then gauge their continued interest by their statements and follow up questions. I am never flippant and always respectful. This car is "famous" in my college town, so I don't want to be known as that @%[email protected]%^ old dood who drives the orange Lotus Exige...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, the Elise is truly the poor man's exotic! I get a lot of compliments on the color (Laser Blue).

I'm keeping mine relatively stock too, and the mods I've done (oil pan, coilovers, etc.) are easily reversible. I HAD to get more tire up front, and a 205/235 combination is an amazing improvement over standard-issue 175/225.

IMG_4935.jpg

·
Registered
859 Posts
I’m 6 months into my Lotus ownership and am stunned how people react to this car!
Most act like little kids seeing a car that they couldn’t even imagine! And when I tell them it’s an 05’ - they lose their words! View attachment 1263325
Today was a record. Went to the state park to walk. A car remained in the parking lot so the mom's son could hear the car when we started it up to leave. Next the gas station, another compliment. Final stop for Chinese carry out, and another compliment.

·
473 Posts
"How fast does it go" - I never know how to answer this one. Car people never ask this.
I just tell them it's got a little Toyota engine and that it's a quick but not particularly fast car that weighs nothing. When they start asking how much? I say less than my Mazda and their eyes get wide and if they press for more details I say $20-40K depending on the car. They almost seem disappointed when I say that but then I tell them that it gets classed with Z06 for the track and that usually gets them going. Car enthusiasts here in this poor farming community are into restored or restomodded classics, pickups or vettes. In car shows I'm usually classed in exotics but for some reason in one they had vettes in exotic and me in imported sports made no sense other than lack of classes and where to put the entrants. Either way always first place. Entrance and exit is usually the biggest thing commented on as many here qualify as obese walmartians and are amazed how well I get in and out for my size and age. Richard

1 - 20 of 32 Posts